Kilkevan

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 24, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 06:13:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 05:44:44 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 02:50:15 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 02:43:16 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 02:15:49 PM
I care more about the British Lions than the Irish team in the same way I care more about my county than my club in GAA, the same way I care more about my country than my club in association football, and the same way I care more about my continent than my country or individual players in golf.

A British Lions tour, particularly to New Zealand, is the very pinnacle of rugby and this morning's match certainly bore out that assertion. It was titanic stuff with 46 of the world's very best players doing battle at one of the great cathedrals of world rugby.

Add that to the history, tradition and folklore and it's small wonder that people care about it.

Presumably, in the same vein, you care more about the Railway Cup than Sam/Liam  ::)
Do any provincial GAA teams get 25,000 fans travelling to the far side of the globe to follow them?

Ah you're a gloryhunter fanboy... Thanks for clearing that up!!!
The sport I take most seriously is top quality, elite level sport, as is the case with most normal people.

That's what British Lions tours are.

They are the pinnacle of the sport.

The highest individual and/or team honour a player from the British Isles can achieve is to be part of a winning British Lions team.

Nobody takes the Railway Cup seriously, so you might want to address your criticism at the vast majority of inter-county players who don't bother their holes making themselves available for it.

The Lions tours are not the pinnacle of the sport. The World Cup is. Closely followed by the Rugby Championship. The Lions are the British Isles' admitting they can't win, apart from the odd fluke result, against SH opposition unless they all join forces. It's the epitome of an inferiority complex. At that, the Lions routinely get their arses handed to them.

You say you are more into international football than club football but then say you are into sport played at it's highest level. International football is not the highest level and hasn't been for at least twenty years. Since the big European clubs have been able to buy who they like, the Champions League dwarfs the World Cup. At World Cups there are invariably teams which don't bother which could compete.

In the GAA, if you think you're watching elite sport by supporting Roscommon... well... I'd say you'd do better to not bother at all if elite is all you're looking for.

I would leave SA and Australia out of it. Ireland and England dont fluke results against these teams anymore in fact over the last 10 yrs they win more than they lose sure even scotland beat Oz last week but will not mention the welsh under gatland who have a crap record against the trinations. Only NZ are on a different level to the rest. This lions tour is interestng because its NZ. Cant see the point of tours to Aus or SA anymore when home nations can win them on their own.

How often do they beat those teams in their own back yard though?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 09:45:36 PM
I care more about the British Lions than the Irish team in the same way I care more about my county than my club in GAA, the same way I care more about my country than my club in association football, and the same way I care more about my continent than my country or individual players in golf.

A British Lions tour, particularly to New Zealand, is the very pinnacle of rugby and this morning's match certainly bore out that assertion. It was titanic stuff with 46 of the world's very best players doing battle at one of the great cathedrals of world rugby.

Add that to the history, tradition and folklore and it's small wonder that people care about it.

Presumably, in the same vein, you care more about the Railway Cup than Sam/Liam  ::)
Do any provincial GAA teams get 25,000 fans travelling to the far side of the globe to follow them?

The sport I take most seriously is top quality, elite level sport, as is the case with most normal people.

The highest individual and/or team honour a player from the British Isles can achieve is to be part of a winning British Lions team.

Nobody takes the Railway Cup seriously, so you might want to address your criticism at the vast majority of inter-county players who don't bother their holes making themselves available for it.

The Lions tours are not the pinnacle of the sport. The World Cup is. Closely followed by the Rugby Championship. The Lions are the British Isles' admitting they can't win, apart from the odd fluke result, against SH opposition unless they all join forces. It's the epitome of an inferiority complex. At that, the Lions routinely get their arses handed to them.

You say you are more into international football than club football but then say you are into sport played at it's highest level. International football is not the highest level and hasn't been for at least twenty years. Since the big European clubs have been able to buy who they like, the Champions League dwarfs the World Cup. At World Cups there are invariably teams which don't bother which could compete.

In the GAA, if you think you're watching elite sport by supporting Roscommon... well... I'd say you'd do better to not bother at all if elite is all you're looking for.

I would leave SA and Australia out of it. Ireland and England dont fluke results against these teams anymore in fact over the last 10 yrs they win more than they lose sure even scotland beat Oz last week but will not mention the welsh under gatland who have a crap record against the trinations. Only NZ are on a different level to the rest. This lions tour is interestng because its NZ. Cant see the point of tours to Aus or SA anymore when home nations can win them on their own.

Well england whitewashed Australia last yesr in Oz.  Scotland beat them.a few weeks ago.  Ireland beat SA in SA last summer
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

sid waddell

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 06:28:48 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 06:23:50 PM

I think it's fairly clear you're not familiar with elite-level sport.

My advice to you would be to go back and watch this morning's test match - then you'd be more qualified to comment about it.

I watched it thanks. I'd say I'm a bit more qualified than you though as you seem to think that this morning's match was a classic rather than the All Blacks giving the Lions a lesson in superiority which frankly is a pathetic judgement. The Lions were outclassed in every department by New Zealand this morning and anyone who didn't see that really should stop letting Sky and Stuart Barnes form their judgements for them.

You really should watch it again, so, and stop thinking that others can't make their own judgements!

Walter Cronc

Some sh1t being spewed in here again!!

Kilkevan

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on June 24, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 09:45:36 PM

Well england whitewashed Australia last yesr in Oz.  Scotland beat them.a few weeks ago.  Ireland beat SA in SA last summer

Australia are weaker than they have been for a long time. Remember that it was seen as an achievement for the Lions to win the series there in 2013 so they have gone back a fair bit. Ireland beating South Africa once and Scotland doing the same to Australia doesn't mean it is a regular occurrence over there. There'll always be a bit of magic about a tour to New Zealand but it doesn't mean victories in the other SANZAR members are easy to come by.

Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 11:29:30 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 06:28:48 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 06:23:50 PM

I think it's fairly clear you're not familiar with elite-level sport.

My advice to you would be to go back and watch this morning's test match - then you'd be more qualified to comment about it.

I watched it thanks. I'd say I'm a bit more qualified than you though as you seem to think that this morning's match was a classic rather than the All Blacks giving the Lions a lesson in superiority which frankly is a pathetic judgement. The Lions were outclassed in every department by New Zealand this morning and anyone who didn't see that really should stop letting Sky and Stuart Barnes form their judgements for them.

You really should watch it again, so, and stop thinking that others can't make their own judgements!

Yeah OK, maybe if I rewatch it the Lions will win lmfao!

Hound

I thought the first half was absolutely enthralling. NZ too good in the second.

The bang Liam Williams got seemed to be a big turning point. We went from being brilliant to being useless. The bandage being sloppily put on an covering a small part of his eye can't have helped! But presumably he was some way groggy to explain the change in his play.

I thought the Sky commentators were very silent on Owen Farrell's non-performance. His kicking has been slightly off all tour, and on that basis Sexton has to be a serious contender.

Looks like POM will be dropped. Was great in the lineout, but didnt do enough around the park. Not that Warburton did a whole heap when he came on, but he'll be back in and captain.

Itoje a definite starter next week, but other lock totally up for grabs.

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

The bang Liam Williams got seemed to be a big turning point. We went from being brilliant to being useless. The bandage being sloppily put on an covering a small part of his eye can't have helped! But presumably he was some way groggy to explain the change in his play.

I thought the Sky commentators were very silent on Owen Farrell's non-performance. His kicking has been slightly off all tour, and on that basis Sexton has to be a serious contender.

Looks like POM will be dropped. Was great in the lineout, but didnt do enough around the park. Not that Warburton did a whole heap when he came on, but he'll be back in and captain.

Kruis had a shocker. . . will they keep him in next week or is there a chink of light for Henderson?

tonto1888

Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2017, 10:50:10 AM

Kruis had a shocker. . . will they keep him in next week or is there a chink of light for Henderson?

Bench perhaps. Injury allowing surely Lawrs would be a starter

screenexile

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 26, 2017, 10:56:17 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2017, 10:50:10 AM

Bench perhaps. Injury allowing surely Lawrs would be a starter

Sounds like Henderson is making a case for starting on Saturday!!!

Walter Cronc

Henderson in serious form tonight yet Lawes gets taken off after 50 mins!

Aye good stuff Gatland!  :o

gallsman

Henderson great but picked up a yellow for a tip. Hopefully no citing...

Applesisapples

The pick of 4 countries ( at least) can't beat the pick from 1 (at least)

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: gallsman on June 27, 2017, 10:44:15 AM
It was a very costly YC.  He was excellent up to that point in fairness to him.

screenexile

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 27, 2017, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 27, 2017, 10:44:15 AM
It was a very costly YC.  He was excellent up to that point in fairness to him.

He'll do well to escape a citing I can't see it happening.

PS. The front row played the full 80 minutes?? f**k off Gatland!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
The pick of 4 countries ( at least) can't beat the pick from 1 (at least)

Waaaaaahayyyyyyyyyy