Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

It's only daft in your opinion, everyone else is entitled to theirs.

The Lions is daft the same way the Ryder cup is daft. I'll watch it to see high quality rugby but I couldn't give a fiddler's if the Lions win or lose. I want to see the Irish lads do well and that's about the height of it.

Anyone you see singing the monotonous "Europe, Europe, Europe"at the Ryder cup or "Lions, lions, lions" is inevitably a complete knob.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2017, 01:41:28 PM
These daft attacks on the Lions concept by begrudgers is what's contrived. Everyone four years a few of them wake up only to go back to sleep again, as if anyone even listens to them. I don't understand the deep-rooted desire to knock a clearly popular concept.

So being more into your own national team than a mix of four different countries is bedgrudgery? Grow up!

sid waddell

I care more about the British Lions than the Irish team in the same way I care more about my county than my club in GAA, the same way I care more about my country than my club in association football, and the same way I care more about my continent than my country or individual players in golf.

A British Lions tour, particularly to New Zealand, is the very pinnacle of rugby and this morning's match certainly bore out that assertion. It was titanic stuff with 46 of the world's very best players doing battle at one of the great cathedrals of world rugby.

Add that to the history, tradition and folklore and it's small wonder that people care about it.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 02:15:49 PM
I care more about the British Lions than the Irish team in the same way I care more about my county than my club in GAA, the same way I care more about my country than my club in association football, and the same way I care more about my continent than my country or individual players in golf.

A British Lions tour, particularly to New Zealand, is the very pinnacle of rugby and this morning's match certainly bore out that assertion. It was titanic stuff with 46 of the world's very best players doing battle at one of the great cathedrals of world rugby.

Add that to the history, tradition and folklore and it's small wonder that people care about it.

lol i assume this is a wind up  ;D ;D ;D

pure twaddell

Kilkevan

Presumably, in the same vein, you care more about the Railway Cup than Sam/Liam  ::)

straightred

Call the doctor if you really believe all this.

I suppose you have to hand it to sky - they know how to take something, hype the sh*te out of it and make it somehow important. I just find it impossible to get excited about and the presence of Gatland doesn't help. It will be a 3-0 whitewash anyway. The team are only together for a few weeks and they're playing away to the best team in the world. Wonder what kind of money do the players get ?

sid waddell

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 02:43:16 PM

Presumably, in the same vein, you care more about the Railway Cup than Sam/Liam  ::)
Do any provincial GAA teams get 25,000 fans travelling to the far side of the globe to follow them?

delgany

£70 000 a player. Plus win bonus  if they complete the tour

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 02:50:15 PM

Do any provincial GAA teams get 25,000 fans travelling to the far side of the globe to follow them?

Ah you're a gloryhunter fanboy... Thanks for clearing that up!!!

sid waddell

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 04:02:41 PM

The sport I take most seriously is top quality, elite level sport, as is the case with most normal people.

That's what British Lions tours are.

They are the pinnacle of the sport.

The highest individual and/or team honour a player from the British Isles can achieve is to be part of a winning British Lions team.

Nobody takes the Railway Cup seriously, so you might want to address your criticism at the vast majority of inter-county players who don't bother their holes making themselves available for it.

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 05:44:44 PM

The sport I take most seriously is top quality, elite level sport, as is the case with most normal people.

The highest individual and/or team honour a player from the British Isles can achieve is to be part of a winning British Lions team.

Nobody takes the Railway Cup seriously, so you might want to address your criticism at the vast majority of inter-county players who don't bother their holes making themselves available for it.

The Lions tours are not the pinnacle of the sport. The World Cup is. Closely followed by the Rugby Championship. The Lions are the British Isles' admitting they can't win, apart from the odd fluke result, against SH opposition unless they all join forces. It's the epitome of an inferiority complex. At that, the Lions routinely get their arses handed to them.

You say you are more into international football than club football but then say you are into sport played at it's highest level. International football is not the highest level and hasn't been for at least twenty years. Since the big European clubs have been able to buy who they like, the Champions League dwarfs the World Cup. At World Cups there are invariably teams which don't bother which could compete.

In the GAA, if you think you're watching elite sport by supporting Roscommon... well... I'd say you'd do better to not bother at all if elite is all you're looking for.

sid waddell

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 06:13:49 PM

The Lions tours are not the pinnacle of the sport. The World Cup is. Closely followed by the Rugby Championship. The Lions are the British Isles' admitting they can't win, apart from the odd fluke result, against SH opposition unless they all join forces. It's the epitome of an inferiority complex. At that, the Lions routinely get their arses handed to them.

You say you are more into international football than club football but then say you are into sport played at it's highest level. International football is not the highest level and hasn't been for at least twenty years. Since the big European clubs have been able to buy who they like, the Champions League dwarfs the World Cup. At World Cups there are invariably teams which don't bother which could compete.

In the GAA, if you think you're watching elite sport by supporting Roscommon... well... I'd say you'd do better to not bother at all if elite is all you're looking for.
I think it's fairly clear you're not familiar with elite-level sport.

My advice to you would be to go back and watch this morning's test match - then you'd be more qualified to comment about it.

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 06:23:50 PM

My advice to you would be to go back and watch this morning's test match - then you'd be more qualified to comment about it.

I watched it thanks. I'd say I'm a bit more qualified than you though as you seem to think that this morning's match was a classic rather than the All Blacks giving the Lions a lesson in superiority which frankly is a pathetic judgement. The Lions were outclassed in every department by New Zealand this morning and anyone who didn't see that really should stop letting Sky and Stuart Barnes form their judgements for them.

JPGJOHNNYG

I would leave SA and Australia out of it. Ireland and England dont fluke results against these teams anymore in fact over the last 10 yrs they win more than they lose sure even scotland beat Oz last week but will not mention the welsh under gatland who have a crap record against the trinations. Only NZ are on a different level to the rest. This lions tour is interestng because its NZ. Cant see the point of tours to Aus or SA anymore when home nations can win them on their own.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 06:28:48 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 24, 2017, 06:23:50 PM

I watched it thanks. I'd say I'm a bit more qualified than you though as you seem to think that this morning's match was a classic rather than the All Blacks giving the Lions a lesson in superiority which frankly is a pathetic judgement. The Lions were outclassed in every department by New Zealand this morning and anyone who didn't see that really should stop letting Sky and Stuart Barnes form their judgements for them.

I wouldn't say they were outclassed in the two centre positions where teo and davies got the better of sbw and crotty and crottys replacement.  I also think they were as good if not better than the ABs at the lineout

The lions arguably created better scoring opportunities than the ABs but didn't take the chances.  There was nothing special for example about ioane 2nd try..a speculative kick and williams let it drop through hid hands and bounced straight to ioane for a sprint in to the line
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience