Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2017, 09:56:50 AM
Boom!! Different gravy Lions class but just not in the same league as NZ.

Some of the guys playing great but some are shocking. Kruis and Jones have been shite. Sammy George gifted 3 pts for being a lazy f#ck. The team have no chance if they are carrying about 5 passengers

gawa316

Gmac

Henshaw and Payne should play next day with the same back 3

gallsman

Payne?! Williams and Davies were two of the Lions best players.

Kruis, AWJ will/should be dropped. Farrell was poor and should have been taken off instead of moving him to centre when Sexton came on.

gawa316

Thought Te'o and Davis both have good games, can't see them being dropped

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: gallsman on June 24, 2017, 10:37:54 AM
Payne?! Williams and Davies were two of the Lions best players.

Kruis, AWJ will/should be dropped. Farrell was poor and should have been taken off instead of moving him to centre when Sexton came on.

Kruis had an absolute mare.
The lions backs were alot better than i expected, but NZ are just operating at a level up.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

It was competitive for 50 mins or so but after that period of relatively loose back and forth in the second half, the Lions were goosed.

Pretty happy with h all the Irish performances.

yellowcard

Overhyped representative match. Great honour for the players but apart from that it's just a corporate junket that needs scrapping. Two more heavy defeats will see the value of this series being questioned again.

LCohen

Quote from: yellowcard on June 24, 2017, 11:09:07 AM
Overhyped representative match. Great honour for the players but apart from that it's just a corporate junket that needs scrapping. Two more heavy defeats will see the value of this series being questioned again.
Over hyped. Sure is but so much modern sport is. Look at the mcgregor thing. Sky don't help

Representative match. Yes but what player would turn down the chance? What group of fans have not been debating results and performances for the last 12 months without some sort of a nod to the Lions. It's huge

Corporate junket- like most big sporting events it is.

Scrapping? Off your rocker son

2 more heavy defeats would see the value of northern hemisphere rugby being questioned, not the series. Otherwise it would be like a government looking at poor maths tests results and responding by getting rid of tests. That sort of thinking is plainly moronic

Kilkevan

Quote from: LCohen on June 24, 2017, 11:20:36 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 24, 2017, 11:09:07 AM
Over hyped. Sure is but so much modern sport is. Look at the mcgregor thing. Sky don't help

Representative match. Yes but what player would turn down the chance? What group of fans have not been debating results and performances for the last 12 months without some sort of a nod to the Lions. It's huge

Corporate junket- like most big sporting events it is.

Scrapping? Off your rocker son

2 more heavy defeats would see the value of northern hemisphere rugby being questioned, not the series. Otherwise it would be like a government looking at poor maths tests results and responding by getting rid of tests. That sort of thinking is plainly moronic

In fairness, apart from the idea of scrapping the Lions and the series itself being questioned, he has a point. The Lions are a wholly contrived concept. If Gatland wasn't there again I would want the Lions to win but because I want him to fall flat on his face, I hope they get whitewashed. A Lions tour victory means nothing when compared to national success and I would opt for a Grand Slam over a Lions tour victory any day of the week. That it is huge is undeniable but I find it extremely difficult to get passionate for.

gallsman

Representative sport is contrived period. That doesn't make it redundant. In rugby league, State of Origin is the very highest level the game is played at.

Kilkevan

Quote from: gallsman on June 24, 2017, 12:03:16 PM
Representative sport is contrived period. That doesn't make it redundant. In rugby league, State of Origin is the very highest level the game is played at.

I still believe there is something far less contrived about representing the place where you were born than a jumble bag of nations.

I don't know anything about rugby league so I have to bow to your greater knowledge there.

gallsman

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 12:05:38 PM

I still believe there is something far less contrived about representing the place where you were born than a jumble bag of nations.

I don't know anything about rugby league so I have to bow to your greater knowledge there.

Like what? Provincial rugby? International rugby? Very little in professional sport doors that description any more, not just the Lions.

Kilkevan

Quote from: gallsman on June 24, 2017, 12:28:03 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 24, 2017, 12:05:38 PM

Like what? Provincial rugby? International rugby? Very little in professional sport doors that description any more, not just the Lions.

Although there are backdoor entries onto international teams, the overwhelming majority of them are made up in the main of players either born in or to parents from those countries. I'm not a fan of the live here for x number of years and you can represent the national team. That's contrived. I fail to see what is contrived about an elite athlete representing his own or his parents' country though.

Syferus

These daft attacks on the Lions concept by begrudgers is what's contrived. Everyone four years a few of them wake up only to go back to sleep again, as if anyone even listens to them. I don't understand the deep-rooted desire to knock a clearly popular concept.