Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: stephenite on June 22, 2017, 12:16:13 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 11:23:43 PM
He lost this match the moment he chose Farrell at 10.

I'm not sure the Lions can win a test against the All Blacks regardless of who he picks

Indeed! Syfeen getting a bit carried away with the hyperbole.

Interesting team selection picking a dynamic back 3 and O'Mahony in the back row but then shunning Itoje in the second row.

I'll take it as I was expecting North, Halfpenny and Warburton to play but the team picked looks to have a much better balance to it and Itoje off the bench is a very good impact player.

Sexton probably slightly unlucky to miss out but Farrell is the for out half so can't really grumble about it. I think it's the strongest team the Lions could put out but ultimately the All Blacks will take them I fear.

Keyser soze

Whole load of guys who aren't first choice for their country starting...Williams at FB doesnt start here for Wales, George cant nail down a starting berth for England, how many international games has Daly started, very few, AWJ in front of Itoje.

Looks a mad selection to me.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 22, 2017, 10:32:58 AM
Whole load of guys who aren't first choice for their country starting...Williams at FB doesnt start here for Wales, George cant nail down a starting berth for England, how many international games has Daly started, very few, AWJ in front of Itoje.

Paul Wallace, Jeremy Davidson, John Bentley, Jenkins at FB in 97. List goes on.

A young O'Driscoll hadn't too many games under his belt in 2001. Not that I'm comparing any of the listed to BOD!

The Welsh having been crying out for Williams at FB. Cracking player!

Keyser soze

Yes Walter you have listed 4 players, the same as I have. Were the ones you have listed all played in the one match?

Has Williams ever been selected at FB for Wales when Halfpenny has been fit?

tiempo

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 22, 2017, 10:35:33 AM

Paul Wallace, Jeremy Davidson, John Bentley, Jenkins at FB in 97. List goes on.

A young O'Driscoll hadn't too many games under his belt in 2001. Not that I'm comparing any of the listed to BOD!

The Welsh having been crying out for Williams at FB. Cracking player!

Williams selection could be an accidental masterstroke only enforced by Halfpenny's awful form. I can imagine Gatland getting heat in the selection meeting about picking Halfpenny and ceding to consensus. Williams should be in there all day ahead of him, I'm pretty sure he has never started full back for Wales with Halfpenny on the wing. Williams potential is wasted on the wing.

Zebo also a better FB than Halfpenny and a shame now that he's missed out, another man wasted when put on the wing. Earls is a very good out and out winger and finisher and a shame he missed out on selection against the grossly overhyped North. They should turn that cub into a back row and be done with it.

Warrenball does not factor in flair, individual brilliance or playmaking ability. James Hook may not have been an all time great but he was consistenly overlooked for Wales in favour of Stephen Jones.

I think the Lions should be competitive for the first half at least as they'll look to keep it tight and low scoring, however to beat NZ you need to be racking up 30+ points and I'm not sure where those points will come from. I think NZ will get the business done in the second half and win by 10-15 points.

screenexile

George has long been talked about as better than Hartley and for the life of me I don't know why Jones has Hartley on before him possibly for the impact George can have against a tired pack.

Williams should be the starting FB for Wales but has been in their starting line up regularly for a while now and Daly started all of England's 6N games so not sure what your gripe is with him. POM again hasn't been a regular starter for Ireland but you can't argue with what he brings.

Walter Cronc

What the above said!

Keyser soze

Well the above have said the exact same as me i.e. neither George nor Williams can get past Hartley or Halfpenny to claim a starting position on their respective national sides so I am not sure how that advances your argument.

Daly ok there can be a case made for him but Otoje's omission is a real shocker for me. 

CiKe

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 22, 2017, 10:45:24 AM
Yes Walter you have listed 4 players, the same as I have. Were the ones you have listed all played in the one match?

Has Williams ever been selected at FB for Wales when Halfpenny has been fit?

Halfpenny picked for Wales for last good while based purely on his kicking ability. Farrell is his near equal in this respect (although hasn't been great on tour it must be said), so imagine they don't see the need to "carry" a kicker and want Williams greater attacking potency.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 22, 2017, 12:09:37 PM
Well the above have said the exact same as me i.e. neither George nor Williams can get past Hartley or Halfpenny to claim a starting position on their respective national sides so I am not sure how that advances your argument.

Daly ok there can be a case made for him but Otoje's omission is a real shocker for me.

I can't be bothered KS. Another day pal.

tiempo

Itoje clearly being marked as a 20-30min impact sub, fair enough. Just a shame Alun Wyn made it, he's off form and old imo. Henderson didn't do enough to stake a claim, Launchbury will be peeved at missing out.

Itoje could've started with Henderson off the bench perhaps.

screenexile

Quote from: tiempo on June 22, 2017, 12:23:08 PM

Itoje clearly being marked as a 20-30min impact sub, fair enough. Just a shame Alun Wyn made it, he's off form and old imo. Henderson didn't do enough to stake a claim, Launchbury will be peeved at missing out.

Henderson suffered from a bad first game and hasn't just brought enough to it I think. Add to that the 2nd row is probably the Lions strongest line he will find it difficult to force his way into the Test squad I think.

Mikhailov

Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2017, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: tiempo on June 22, 2017, 12:23:08 PM

Henderson suffered from a bad first game and hasn't just brought enough to it I think. Add to that the 2nd row is probably the Lions strongest line he will find it difficult to force his way into the Test squad I think.

I felt Henderson has done as well as AWJ and also Henderson can play in back row and for this reason I expected him to in the 23. I think he will feature in a test jersey before the tour is over. He brings physicality and is good in the line out as well. However, AWJ should not have started ahead of Itoje - experience won that decision. Imagine the backlash in Wales if Gatland had selected a first 15 without AWJ, Warburton, North and Halfpenny !!!

Gmac

One of Farrell or halfpenny has to play because the lions are relying on penalties to score and unfortunately sexton has missed some big kicks before

Syferus

Quote from: Gmac on June 22, 2017, 05:51:13 PM
One of Farrell or halfpenny has to play because the lions are relying on penalties to score and unfortunately sexton has missed some big kicks before

I'd trust Sexton every time over Farrell.