Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on July 01, 2017, 12:23:34 PM
An incredible morning of high drama that shows exactly why a British Lions test series is the pinnacle of rugby union football.

A Lions tour is all about finding those men of officer class that will stand up in a situation of adversity and drive the troops on to victory.

Stand up Officer Faletau, Officer Murray, Officer Farrell, Officer Sexton, Officer Williams, Officer George, Officer Watson, Officer Sinckler and Captain Warburton.

Last week some know-nothings said there was a huge gulf in class between the teams.

That's why they're know-nothings.

As with last week, we played the sparkling attacking rugby, we showed the inventiveness and flair. We played the game as it is meant to be played, not them.

It was a performance that is as proud and defiant a Wellington monument as anything that stands just off Chesterfield Avenue in Dublin's Phoenix Park.

That performance was for Sir Ian McGeechan, a true Lions legend and one of nature's gentlemen. Get well soon, Sir Ian.

Those who anything about history know that the British Lions have a 100% record in test series in New Zealand in which the latter two digits are 1 and 7. The weight of history is with us.

The prospect of Eden Park next Saturday is now a truly tantalising one.
top class old boy top class 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 01, 2017, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2017, 12:47:34 PM
Feel emotional.
Tyrone 03, 05, 08; Lions 17.
I'm nearly as excited as that time the combined Northern Ireland and Ireland rugby team beat a reserve New Zealand  team in a pre season friendly.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

I'd rather Farrell hitting the kicks than Sexton though. I heard the commentator saying that the last few minutes were the biggest of these players careers? Surely, a big six nations decider or world cup game is more important than when you win as part of an amalgamation of 4 of the top 7 teams in the world against the number 1?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tonto1888

An incredible morning of high drama that shows exactly why a British Lions test series is the pinnacle of rugby union football.

A Lions tour is all about finding those men of officer class that will stand up in a situation of adversity and drive the troops on to victory.

Stand up Officer Faletau, Officer Murray, Officer Farrell, Officer Sexton, Officer Williams, Officer George, Officer Watson, Officer Sinckler and Captain Warburton.

Last week some know-nothings said there was a huge gulf in class between the teams.

As with last week, we played the sparkling attacking rugby, we showed the inventiveness and flair. We played the game as it is meant to be played, not them.

It was a performance that is as proud and defiant a Wellington monument as anything that stands just off Chesterfield Avenue in Dublin's Phoenix Park.

That performance was for Sir Ian McGeechan, a true Lions legend and one of nature's gentlemen. Get well soon, Sir Ian.

Those who anything about history know that the British Lions have a 100% record in test series in New Zealand in which the latter two digits are 1 and 7. The weight of history is with us.

You forgot the main man. Sean O'Brien.
As for the win. Let's not kid ourselves. If SBW doesn't get sent off the lions don't win

stew

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 01, 2017, 04:57:32 PM

As for the win. Let's not kid ourselves. If SBW doesn't get sent off the lions don't win

How do you know?

It would have been a rout only for the amount of penalties the Lions gave up ij the second half! see how that works?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

Quote from: stew on July 01, 2017, 05:00:05 PM

How do you know?

It would have been a rout only for the amount of penalties the Lions gave up ij the second half! see how that works?

Do you think they would have won? I'm very happy they won I'm just being realistic. I wouldn't be that confident of winning next week but hop I am wrong

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2017, 04:46:53 PM
I'd rather Farrell hitting the kicks than Sexton though. I heard the commentator saying that the last few minutes were the biggest of these players careers? Surely, a big six nations decider or world cup game is more important than when you win as part of an amalgamation of 4 of the top 7 teams in the world against the number 1?

It's Sky Sports in fairness. Everything they show is THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Rufus T Firefly

Let's not kid ourselves. If SBW doesn't get sent off the lions don't win

I don't understand that thinking. So what? He did get sent off.

SBW comes as a package - his excellent off loads are one aspect of that; his indiscipline is another. The All Blacks chose to use that package by picking him and it went to their advantage last week with a win - this week it backfired spectacularly.  His sending off is the All Blacks' problem, not that of the Lions.

Have to say I'm just glad the ref had the nads to issue the red - I thought Jaco Peyper (sp?) was trying to influence him to issue a yellow in the discussion and I also thought the TV official was doing likewise.   

Never beat the deeler

How penalties has Vunipola given away in the 2 tests?
Hasta la victoria siempre

tonto1888

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 02, 2017, 01:35:44 AM

SBW comes as a package - his excellent off loads are one aspect of that; his indiscipline is another. The All Blacks chose to use that package by picking him and it went to their advantage last week with a win - this week it backfired spectacularly.  His sending off is the All Blacks' problem, not that of the Lions.

Have to say I'm just glad the ref had the nads to issue the red - I thought Jaco Peyper (sp?) was trying to influence him to issue a yellow in the discussion and I also thought the TV official was doing likewise.

It's an opinion and I happen to think he correct one. The ABs have proven over and over again that when they play in NZ with 15 players they win. Regardless he did get sent off and the lions did win.
Now, any word on Sean O'Brien?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2017, 08:53:00 AM
It's an opinion and I happen to think he correct one. The ABs have proven over and over again that when they play in NZ with 15 players they win. Regardless he did get sent off and the lions did win.

The ABs did have fifteen players - the fact that they lost one is down to the player they entrusted with the job. Their call, which proved a serious misjudgment. They fell down.

I get a sense you wouldn't be as keen to highlight an 'if' where the shoe was on the other foot.

Like I said, I'm just glad the ref didn't bottle the call as Roman Poite did in Pretoria in the pivotal second test in 2009 when Burger (sp?) gouged Luke Fitzgerald in the opening minutes in front of the line judge. 

A colossus.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 02, 2017, 09:06:40 AM

The ABs did have fifteen players - the fact that they lost one is down to the player they entrusted with the job. Their call, which proved a serious misjudgment. They fell down.

I get a sense you wouldn't be as keen to highlight an 'if' where the shoe was on the other foot.

Like I said, I'm just glad the ref didn't bottle the call as Roman Poite did in Pretoria in the pivotal second test in 2009 when Burger (sp?) gouged Luke Fitzgerald in the opening minutes in front of the line judge. 

A colossus.

The all blacks lost a man after 25 mins and played the majority of the game with 14 men.
I have highlighted ifs for teams I support in the past.
SOB is indeed a colossus but he was having a hearing today due to being cited. Any word on that

tonto1888

It's all good. He wasn't banned.

LCohen

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 02, 2017, 01:35:44 AM

Spot on. Game was well refereed. Discipline is a key part of the game. AB indiscipline cost them a player. BIL  indiscipline cost them a shed load of points