building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

have a question on claiming vat back on a new build in the north. is the cut off point for buying and claiming vat on materials the date when you get the building control certificate? or can you buy paving stones and kerbs etc after that date but as long as the claim is submitted within 3 months of receiving the completion certificate?

giveherlong

The building control cert is only one of several documents you can use as evidence in the North
You Can also use rates cert or a letter from your bank or building society
You can make 1 claim 3 months after the date of the document you are using as evidence
See page 14 on this PDF - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/828064/VAT431NB_form_and_notes.pdf

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on April 20, 2021, 10:49:55 AM
have a question on claiming vat back on a new build in the north. is the cut off point for buying and claiming vat on materials the date when you get the building control certificate? or can you buy paving stones and kerbs etc after that date but as long as the claim is submitted within 3 months of receiving the completion certificate?

How much did you end up paying per sqf?
We have a 2900sqf 2 storey with the planning department at the minute and would like to have an idea of what's coming.

Franko

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 20, 2021, 01:28:30 PM

We have a 2900sqf 2 storey with the planning department at the minute and would like to have an idea of what's coming.

£95 - £100 for a high standard of finish, outside work on top of that.

Not what you want to hear but building materials prices are going through the roof at the minute.

As an example - 1m3 of 35/40N concrete was £59-60 a year ago - you could pay £70 plus now.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Franko on April 20, 2021, 01:43:11 PM

£95 - £100 for a high standard of finish, outside work on top of that.

Not what you want to hear but building materials prices are going through the roof at the minute.

As an example - 1m3 of 35/40N concrete was £59-60 a year ago - you could pay £70 plus now.

Wood up serious price at min as well.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

clarshack

Believe it or not we built a 2700sqf (2 storey) in 2020 for £65 per sqf in Tyrone area, and that's it painted, tiled and wooden flooring etc and I think it's a decent finish. This also included electric (£3k) and water connections but didn't include any other fees such as architect's. Expect to pay 20%+ extra in 2021 however.

Should add that we Project Managed this ourselves and the best thing we ever did was get a QS to do up costings and this meant we didn't go over budget as too many people lose the run of themselves when building a house.

clarshack

Quote from: giveherlong on April 20, 2021, 12:49:03 PM
The building control cert is only one of several documents you can use as evidence in the North
You Can also use rates cert or a letter from your bank or building society
You can make 1 claim 3 months after the date of the document you are using as evidence
See page 14 on this PDF - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/828064/VAT431NB_form_and_notes.pdf

Thanks for this link.

Will it ever end

Clarshack how much of that £65 psf did you have the labour carried out on by yourself?

A finished house - landscaped / driveways etc will cost much closer to £100 psf

clarshack

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 20, 2021, 03:13:38 PM
Clarshack how much of that £65 psf did you have the labour carried out on by yourself?

A finished house - landscaped / driveways etc will cost much closer to £100 psf

Didn't do any labour myself. There's just gravel on the driveway and no landscaping done so i'd say you could spend a fortune on that all right.
There's no fancy stonework either.

Armagh Girl

For those of you who self built, and managed themselves - when sourcing building supplies did you price around at various suppliers or did you just go to 1 main supplier.  Our QS has done an itemised price guide for us, but various buliders, roofers etc say you need to price around.  Any advice would be helpful.

trueblue1234

Price round the big things, but in the main, used the one builders yard for everything else. You just won't have time to price everything.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

You can get some local dry lining companies that come with their own strippers, and I'm not talking paint strippers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2021, 10:47:30 PM
You can get some local dry lining companies that come with their own strippers, and I'm not talking paint strippers

Watched the first video, didnt see the big deal.

Then I watched the rest of them....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 20, 2021, 11:03:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2021, 10:47:30 PM

Watched the first video, didnt see the big deal.

Then I watched the rest of them....

Mobile phones !!! Some of these guys are getting divorced and sacked!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

grounded

That was my reading of that. Once we had the completion certificate we had 3 months to submit claim.
   I may be wrong but it may also be 3 months from when your rates was issued i.e. they can say that you were living in the house from!