John Mitchel - a lover of slavery - time to remove his name from GAA clubs?

Started by sid waddell, June 09, 2020, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

O'Duffy was a leading GAA figure in his day.
Heard tales when he was Ulster Secretary he wouldn't accept Referees' reports if Monaghan lost but would find some technicality to order a replay or award the game to Monaghan.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2020, 05:02:29 PM
Heard tales when he was Ulster Secretary he wouldn't accept Referees' reports if Monaghan lost but would find some technicality to order a replay or award the game to Monaghan.
He got booted from Ulster GAA but also has the terrace named after him. That has to go IMO

On the Mitchels thing, the only club that I know goes by it is the Newry team eg Glenullin go by ”The Glen” or “Glenullin”, or do they get called Mitchels too?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Gmac on June 10, 2020, 04:46:06 PM
HBO have pulled gone with the wind off there movie library, tv show cops canceled and live pd gone the book burning has started already too. John mitchels today St whoever tomorrow.
Madness. PC merchants and snowflakes gone mad

omaghjoe

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 05:03:11 PM
He got booted from Ulster GAA but also has the terrace named after him. That has to go IMO

Your hardly in a position to be rearing your head at this time!

general_lee

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 10, 2020, 05:28:06 PM

Your hardly in a position to be rearing your head at this time!
Lol shssh

five points

On the Mitchels thing, the only club that I know goes by it is the Newry team eg Glenullin go by "The Glen" or "Glenullin", or do they get called Mitchels too?

Castlebar go by the Mitchels all the time.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: hardstation on June 10, 2020, 05:51:51 PM

On the Mitchels thing, the only club that I know goes by it is the Newry team eg Glenullin go by "The Glen" or "Glenullin", or do they get called Mitchels too?
There's one in Antrim although they struggle to field. I suppose Castlebar would be a big one.

John Mitchels a very prominent club in Tralee.  Currently in Div 1 of County League - glory days back in the 60's when they won something like 5 county championships.

Also a club of same name in Birmingham, UK.

Evil Genius

Re Mitchell, why doesn;t some historian prepare a Bio of him, then present it to Black members of the GAA, to let them decide? (Serious suggestion btw)

As for St. Theresa, this proud atheist has absolutely no problem with naming an organisation after her - unless it turns out she was a racist or a terrorist or something like that.

Anyone know her or her family who could vouch for her?

(This last comment wasn't quite so serious, btw)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2020, 02:06:39 PM

Gaelic Games are part of our national identity.....is that an element we want to retain, or in the interests of political correctness, dispatch to the dustbin?

Here is the problem with that logic. By taking on the mantle of defenders of national heritage some obligations come with that. And inserting a slaver into the pantheon of revolutionary, nationalist and even religious figures is contentious.

Whatever about Newry, he had some connection to the town, is there nobody else a club in Castlebar  could idolise?

Picking historical figures, especially those who predate the GAA like Mitchell, is fraught with problems, not least claiming them for a sport that didn't exist in their lifetime. Its presumptuous. Clubs should only be named after local figures, preferably with some form of connection to hbe sport.

whitey

So what about the clubs in the 6 counties, named after INLA members and Hunger Strikers

I'm sure many people in the broader community would find those names objectionable......should they be changed?

What about a club or county logo that promotes one religion over another?  Should new logos and crests be mandated?

(I could be mistaken, but naming clubs after Nationalist icons was very common in the early years of the organization-so the older the club, the more likely they would have such an association)

Gmac

Chrisopher Columbus statues are getting beheaded in Boston and other cities , Lincoln the most beloved president said if I could save the union and keep slavery I would do it when will he be canceled.

general_lee

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2020, 07:21:19 PM
So what about the clubs in the 6 counties, named after INLA members and Hunger Strikers
I know of Kevin Lynch's, what other clubs are named after hunger strikers?

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea