East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: nearlymad on June 04, 2020, 08:04:06 PM
     Watched a piece there on UTV Live and wondering how can a person be appointed as President of a Club that hasn't even been formed?The report said they had 100 members signed up already.
  While I wish all involved well,I think they haven't started well with this Linda Ervine link. Freedom of Information will eventually show a ££££'s link to her.

Perhaps, but there may be someone in the background willing to pony up ££££s if she is involved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2020, 12:56:06 PM

A bit to go before Portavogie and Donaghadee are challenging for hurling honours.

I can a dual club in North Down.... Millsle Mary Lous

ardtole

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2020, 09:05:39 PM
     Watched a piece there on UTV Live and wondering how can a person be appointed as President of a Club that hasn't even been formed?The report said they had 100 members signed up already.
  While I wish all involved well,I think they haven't started well with this Linda Ervine link. Freedom of Information will eventually show a ££££'s link to her.

Perhaps, but there may be someone in the background willing to pony up ££££s if she is involved.

Seems a bit more to it, than a casual tweet having his bran flakes on sunday morning

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 04, 2020, 06:31:04 PM

Fantastic. Just shows you the pent-up demand there is for GAA activity in places you'd least expect.

There's two CCMS schools & parishes on the Newtonards Road St Matthews and St Jospeh's both with 300+ pupils attending. I imagine they both go to St Malachy's and Bredagh respectively at the minute. Plenty of appetite there for a club in my opinion Linda Irvine or not

imtommygunn

I would imagine mostly . St Malachys very small club.

Orior

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 04, 2020, 09:45:55 PM
Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2020, 12:56:06 PM

A bit to go before Portavogie and Donaghadee are challenging for hurling honours.

I can a dual club in North Down.... Millsle Mary Lous

I believe there is a catholic primary school in Donaghadee.

This proves that there are a lot of Catholics living in areas which are deemed predominantly loyalist. In the case of east Belfast, I believe it will attract catholics who played when they were young, but for one reason or another landed in an area where you gaelic is frowned upon.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2020, 09:59:45 PM

Seems a bit more to it, than a casual tweet having his bran flakes on sunday morning

Tell us your theory then...

Eamonnca1

Come on, lads. What's up with all the cynicism and suspicion?  Is it such a positive development that it's too good to be true, or something? I would really like to know.

Evil Genius

So have I got this right then?

1. GAA club to open in East Belfast;

2. They sign up their first Prod;

3. "She's a Witch, burn her!"

I guess that's what you call a 'warm house for Protestants'  ;D

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 04, 2020, 10:18:55 PM

Seems that way.

ardtole

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 04, 2020, 10:11:02 PM
Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2020, 09:59:45 PM

Tell us your theory then...

I have no theory. I wish them the best of luck. I know things can snowball quick with social media, but since sunday morning they have 100 members.

I presume they have some sort of payment system set up, they would probably need a bank account. Can you be a member without paying membership?

Apparently they will play in the Down Jfc this year, have the county board even had a meeting this week, would they not need to be registered with Croke Park. I wouldn't be familiar with the ins and outs of the red tape involved here but to have been accepted within 72 hours I thought was fast tracked.

One of the rugby clubs have allowed them to ground share, fair play to them, but I would have thought they would need to consult their own members which again seems to have occurred very quickly.

Even questions around the likes of insurance for adult competitions, the costs are not insignificant, a lot seems to have happened since a sunday morning tweet.

I sincerely wish them the best of luck, but you would need to be a little naive to think there was no prior planning before Sunday.

Evil Genius

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2020, 10:35:18 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 04, 2020, 10:18:55 PM

Not that I know or really care if the things said about her are true but in the interest of fairness to those against her, #2 needs a couple of things added to it;

2.a This particular first prod went on the radio and said that she would like the GAA to disassociate itself from the Irish national anthem and Irish national flag.
2.b This particular first prod seems to have a reputation for keeping up with the deontas.
But isn't that the point?

If you're going to open up to Prods, then you've got to be prepared to listen to what they think? ("Listening to" is not the same as "acceding to", btw)

Or if you're not prepared to do so, then just accept that the present situation is going to prevail i.e. Prods aren't/won't be interested.

And even though I think that it should be a source of embarrassment that 1/6th of the population of Ireland is excluded - or feels itself excluded - from playing particular sports, I might add that I'm not "offended" by this.

For as a fan of another sport, we'll always attract "your" Pat Jennings, but unless/until something changes, you'll never attract "our" George Best.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nearlymad

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2020, 10:55:32 PM
I think those who heard her on the radio did listen to her. They decided they didn't want what she was asking for. Which is fair enough, I think.
The wannabe types from our side don't go asking Ulster Rugby to change their traditions to suit us.They just go along and pretend they are like them.Linda Ervine either joins up under our traditions or else just keep getting the coin for what is her admirable work in the promotion of the Irish language.We are what we are!

nearlymad

Ps. Remember Jarlath Burns and his National Anthem/Flag rant that quickly disappeared.

Evil Genius

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2020, 10:55:32 PM
I think those who heard her on the radio did listen to her. They decided they didn't want what she was asking for. Which is fair enough, I think.
"Fair enough" in the sense that it's your sport, so you may do with it what you like.

Are you happy, then, that the consequence will just be more of the age-old situation whereby there's no room for Prods in your organisation?

(Late Edit)
Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2020, 10:55:32 PMAlso, you didn't get rid of your flag and anthem to attract our Pat Jennings. He just wasn't put off by it.
If your George Best is put off by our flag and anthem, that's on him.
Except it's not just the flag and the anthem, it's the ethos which they represent.

Unless you imagine that Catholics are more inherently open-minded than Prods?

(That's excluding those Prods who accept the flag and anthem when watching Ireland play rugby in Lansdowne, of course).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"