The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2020, 11:28:23 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 18, 2020, 04:41:25 PM
Ketchup is one of the few useful things that America has given the world.

Au contraire:

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.[7][8] By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian-Malay word for the sauce was kicap or kecap (pronounced [kɛt͡ʃap]). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup".[9] English settlers took ketchup with them to the American colonies.

Whatever about  the word, tomatoes originated in  America and they rather than pickled fish are the basis of ketchup.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on May 19, 2020, 01:29:49 AM

Au contraire:

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.[7][8] By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian-Malay word for the sauce was kicap or kecap (pronounced [kɛt͡ʃap]). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup".[9] English settlers took ketchup with them to the American colonies.

Whatever about  the word, tomatoes originated in  America and they rather than pickled fish are the basis of ketchup.

Whatever about the origin of the stuff I thought that the debate wudda been about the usefulness of the stuff.... clean rotten too!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on May 18, 2020, 11:19:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2020, 10:58:01 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 18, 2020, 09:23:52 PM
J70

The whole lot of them are fvckin pathetic.....at this point I really don't care who gets elected (and I actually do like Uncle Joe)

How you guys can sit by and say nothing about Schiff and the stunts he has pulled is very disappointing

What did Schiff supposedly do?

(honest question - I'm not really watching news these days beyond reading the latest COVID updates and reading this place now and then. Too busy with work, homeschooling and childcare. I have seen an occasional "shifty Schiff" headline, but I don't generally click on loaded bait like that)

All the Adam Schiff Transcripts

I find it interesting that every quote in there that is accusing Schiff is qualified to some degree or another.

I cannot comment on the veracity of the report - but given the existence of those qualifications - I'd be uncomfortable using it to form a strong opinion without verifying it.
i usse an speelchekor

whitey

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 19, 2020, 12:08:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 18, 2020, 11:19:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2020, 10:58:01 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 18, 2020, 09:23:52 PM
J70

The whole lot of them are fvckin pathetic.....at this point I really don't care who gets elected (and I actually do like Uncle Joe)

How you guys can sit by and say nothing about Schiff and the stunts he has pulled is very disappointing

What did Schiff supposedly do?

(honest question - I'm not really watching news these days beyond reading the latest COVID updates and reading this place now and then. Too busy with work, homeschooling and childcare. I have seen an occasional "shifty Schiff" headline, but I don't generally click on loaded bait like that)

All the Adam Schiff Transcripts

I find it interesting that every quote in there that is accusing Schiff is qualified to some degree or another.

I cannot comment on the veracity of the report - but given the existence of those qualifications - I'd be uncomfortable using it to form a strong opinion without verifying it.

Roger Stone got jailed for lying to this committee

Now it looks like some other people may also have lied to them.......

Makes me wonder if that isn't why he didn't willingly release the transcripts

Some people should be very worried

sid waddell

Lionel Hutz's definition of "the truth  >:( >:( >:(" and "the truth  :D :D :D" comes to mind.

If you don't subscribe to the latter, ie. lies, you're an enemy as far as the Republicans are concerned.

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/status/1262721011281268738

Rebekah Jones, who is credited with creating the Florida Department of Health data portal, told CBS12 News she was removed because she refused to censor data and "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 19, 2020, 01:29:49 AM

Au contraire:

South and Central America, yes.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2020, 04:49:13 PM
Lionel Hutz's definition of "the truth  >:( >:( >:(" and "the truth  :D :D :D" comes to mind.

If you don't subscribe to the latter, ie. lies, you're an enemy as far as the Republicans are concerned.

Rebekah Jones, who is credited with creating the Florida Department of Health data portal, told CBS12 News she was removed because she refused to censor data and "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

What do you expect from the state that tried to deal with Climate Change by banning all mention of the phenomenon?

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2020, 07:23:55 PM

What do you expect from the state that tried to deal with Climate Change by banning all mention of the phenomenon?
Florida has 2k deaths with a huge elderly population that's too good for a lot of people's liking
Why don't you comment on the complete mess New York is with Cuomo at the helm sending positive elders back to nursing homes to their deaths after a positive test. 

J70

Quote from: Gmac on May 19, 2020, 07:39:52 PM

Florida has 2k deaths with a huge elderly population that's too good for a lot of people's liking
Why don't you comment on the complete mess New York is with Cuomo at the helm sending positive elders back to nursing homes to their deaths after a positive test.

He points out to an official attempt to fix the numbers and hide them from the public and all you can do is engage in whataboutery?

Don't have any opinion yourself on this case?

Are you ok with what Florida is alleged to have done here?

How about Richard Bright's removal from his federal job because he wouldn't tow the line and sacrifice his integrity and professional credibility on Trumps ridiculous hyping of hydrochloriquine?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 19, 2020, 08:17:26 PM

He points out to an official attempt to fix the numbers and hide them from the public and all you can do is engage in whataboutery?

How about Richard Bright's removal from his federal job because he wouldn't tow the line and sacrifice his integrity and professional credibility on Trumps ridiculous hyping of hydrochloriquine?
at this moment in time she is a disgruntled former employee she has her opinion as does Tara reade but believe one or both  .
Bright I know nothing about I'm sure schiff and nadler are all over it .

Eamonnca1

Because we're not talking about New York. We're talking about Florida.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on May 19, 2020, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 19, 2020, 08:17:26 PM

at this moment in time she is a disgruntled former employee she has her opinion as does Tara reade but believe one or both  .
Bright I know nothing about I'm sure schiff and nadler are all over it .

Well let's start with the Inspector General for the department and the whistleblower body.

Assuming of course they have one given the way Trump has been getting rid of them!

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2020, 09:48:38 PM

Here's a thought on Florida, Florida voted for trump in the last election so by your thinking it's a red neck state and you and Sid hope lots of people die there .  Florida should be commended on keeping its elderly population so safe and moving the state to reopening.

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on May 19, 2020, 10:53:14 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2020, 09:48:38 PM

Here's a thought on Florida, Florida voted for trump in the last election so by your thinking it's a red neck state and you and Sid hope lots of people die there .  Florida should be commended on keeping its elderly population so safe and moving the state to reopening.

It's called selective outrage

sid waddell

New York's graph is going down significantly. The areas which have taken Trump's advice are going up.

Why don't you tell us  a bit about Trump's so called "cubic model" for Coronavirus, which was literally a line drawn by economists to fit what they wanted to believe would happen?

Why are Trump's CDC figures on prisons and meat processing plants so wildly wrong?