Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Not much of Europe not involved in Championships?

BennyCake

I'd be fairly confident France would dump out England in the 2nd round. Unfortunately I can see them beating Portugal and finishing top of E.

Wouldn't have much faith in Portugal tbh to beat England at Wembley.

I'd imagine Germany will beat Hungary and claim second in E. Would be 50/50 v England

But, whoever it is, dump the f**kers out so we can all enjoy the rest of the tournament knowing them hoors are not in it.

Captain Obvious

It looks set up for England to get knocked out on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

nrico2006

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2021, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 22, 2021, 10:20:11 AM
Such an improvement there has been in big Lukaku.  I don't watch the Italian football really so I was so surprised to see how good his touch and holdup play has become.

Everyone seems to disimprove when they join United. Then improve again when they leave. I reckon if Martial was to leave this summer, he'd improve greatly too. Someone else mentioned Depay earlier...

Lukaku went to Italy where the standard is lower.  Depay went to France where the standard is lower again.  Both haven't proved themselves to be top drawer yet, especially Depay who I reckon will be average at Barcelona.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TabClear

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on June 22, 2021, 09:58:21 PM
Can someone explain why Billy Gilmour was not vaccinated? You would think that all these players, due to the importance of the tournament, would qualify for one.

He probably was. The vaccine reduces the likelihood of contracting Covid but does not eliminate it. It also reduces the chances of getting ill. I think Gilmour was asymptomatic and was only picked up through the mandatory tests. 

Taylor

Quote from: TabClear on June 23, 2021, 07:57:24 AM
Quote from: JBM on the 21 on June 22, 2021, 09:58:21 PM
Can someone explain why Billy Gilmour was not vaccinated? You would think that all these players, due to the importance of the tournament, would qualify for one.

He probably was. The vaccine reduces the likelihood of contracting Covid but does not eliminate it. It also reduces the chances of getting ill. I think Gilmour was asymptomatic and was only picked up through the mandatory tests.

I thought the players were in bubbles.

If they were how did wee Billy catch it?

tiempo

After the Croatia game all round fitba genius/guru GNev told the world Southgate is Englands biggest asset, glorious watching him having to try and stand by that claim as they grind their way to a standstill, absolutely putrid stuff the last 2 games

yellowcard

Quote from: tiempo on June 23, 2021, 08:49:19 AM
After the Croatia game all round fitba genius/guru GNev told the world Southgate is Englands biggest asset, glorious watching him having to try and stand by that claim as they grind their way to a standstill, absolutely putrid stuff the last 2 games

England are very dull to watch. Southgate's plan seems to be to sit deep, shore up the defence with 2 holding midfielders and hope that he can win the game with a set piece or some little bit of individual brilliance from one of the attacking players. He reminds me a bit of Solskjaer in big games where the fear of losing takes over. Which is fine if you have ordinary players but their actual strength is their attacking players of which they have some of the best in Europe but Southgate is holding them back. He seems like a nice enough lad but he wouldn't come near to being considered for any of the top jobs in club football. Neville is talking nonsense if he thinks that Southgate is their biggest asset, thats just another old pals act. 

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2021, 07:32:51 AM
Such an improvement there has been in big Lukaku.  I don't watch the Italian football really so I was so surprised to see how good his touch and holdup play has become.

Everyone seems to disimprove when they join United. Then improve again when they leave. I reckon if Martial was to leave this summer, he'd improve greatly too. Someone else mentioned Depay earlier...

Lukaku went to Italy where the standard is lower.  Depay went to France where the standard is lower again.  Both haven't proved themselves to be top drawer yet, especially Depay who I reckon will be average at Barcelona.

I reckon he'll be worse than average. He's only going there because of the Dutch links.

Barcelona must be really skint, if 2 of their main strikers will have come in for free.

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2021, 09:35:53 AM

I reckon he'll be worse than average. He's only going there because of the Dutch links.

Barcelona must be really skint, if 2 of their main strikers will have come in for free.

They are worse than skint. They've just taken out a loan in order to cover payment of transfers that have been made in the past, in order to be able to meet the next instalment of payments.

johnnycool

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2021, 09:50:09 AM

They are worse than skint. They've just taken out a loan in order to cover payment of transfers that have been made in the past, in order to be able to meet the next instalment of payments.

They offered Coutinho back to Liverpool just to clear the outstanding debt they owe on the original transfer.

No wonder they and Real were pushing hard for that Super league..

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on June 23, 2021, 08:56:53 AM
Quote from: tiempo on June 23, 2021, 08:49:19 AM

England are very dull to watch. Southgate's plan seems to be to sit deep, shore up the defence with 2 holding midfielders and hope that he can win the game with a set piece or some little bit of individual brilliance from one of the attacking players. He reminds me a bit of Solskjaer in big games where the fear of losing takes over. Which is fine if you have ordinary players but their actual strength is their attacking players of which they have some of the best in Europe but Southgate is holding them back. He seems like a nice enough lad but he wouldn't come near to being considered for any of the top jobs in club football. Neville is talking nonsense if he thinks that Southgate is their biggest asset, thats just another old pals act.
He is brutal. Be safer going all out attack and trying to win every game 7-5. He's probably got the best attacking options of any country in the world on paper, the full backs are as good as any in the world. Slab head and Rice are decent defensively as well. A decent manager would win the Euros handy with that squad.

nrico2006

Barcelona are finished, they have been regressing the past few years but soon Messi will be gone and when you look at the players they have brought in or want to bring in, it doesn't look good.  They wanted Wijnaldum who is pushing on and took Aguero who is also pushing on and is past his best.  Depay is not the type of player you would expect a big club to be signing either and I would imagine that they will keep targeting these type of players too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

quit yo jibbajabba

Jesus lads we're losin the run of ourselves a tad here. Theyve their best attack in a good while, doesnt necessarily mean worlds best or close to it. The 2 best left backs are that good a right back was selected ahead of them. But yes southgate is mediocre with a squad that outweighs his talents probably