Holidays in California...

Started by Ed Hardy, September 28, 2013, 08:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Heading to California next August/Sept starting off in San Fran then to L.A. then finishing in San Diego, looking to spend 4 days in each place.. Anybody any suggestions of best areas to stay in each city and best way off travelling about? any must see's too?

T Fearon

If the scientists are to believed about global warming,yesterday,California mightn't exist next Aug/Sept!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ed Hardy on September 28, 2013, 08:44:29 AM
Heading to California next August/Sept starting off in San Fran then to L.A. then finishing in San Diego, looking to spend 4 days in each place.. Anybody any suggestions of best areas to stay in each city and best way off travelling about? any must see's too?

If I were you I'd do 6 days around SF and San Diego and only 2 in LA. universal studios/Disneyland/Hollywood is about it in LA.

Shamrock Shore

San Diego and a trip is Tijuana is a must.

Nip over the border and see the contrast but don't buy Cuban cigars as they will prob be confiscated.

Get a puddle jumper plane to fly over Grand Canyon/Hoover dam from Las Vegas. Don't waste your time driving to Grand Canyon.

In San Fran get some baby oil and strut around Muscle Beach with the Speedos. Stick a sock down the front.
In Las Vegas get up at 5 in the morning and see if you can find drunk eejits on the card table and fleece them.

Rois

LA is under-rated. Stay in one of the beach areas - we stayed in Manhattan Beach and spent some time cycling along the beaches up to Santa Monica. Def don't stay in downtown LA.

San Fran - stayed in a perfect place called Hotel Bijou. Cycled over Golden Gate bridge to Sausilito. Visited Alcatraz which was class.

Are you driving between places or flying?

armaghniac

QuoteLA is under-rated. Stay in one of the beach areas - we stayed in Manhattan Beach and spent some time cycling along the beaches up to Santa Monica. Def don't stay in downtown LA.

Beach areas are very pleasant indeed.
In LA apart from TV/film stuff I went to the Automotive museum.

QuoteVisited Alcatraz which was class.

Alacatraz is best booked ahead, so plan which day suits you and book the boat/ticket on the internet. I did the night tour, which was good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Rois on September 28, 2013, 12:42:04 PM
LA is under-rated. Stay in one of the beach areas - we stayed in Manhattan Beach and spent some time cycling along the beaches up to Santa Monica. Def don't stay in downtown LA.

San Fran - stayed in a perfect place called Hotel Bijou. Cycled over Golden Gate bridge to Sausilito. Visited Alcatraz which was class.

Agreed. Spent a few good days with a bike sampling the local hostelries from Long beach up to towards Malibu. Don't plan on spending long at Hollywood Boulevard, Beverly Hills or Rodeo Drive.

If you like roller coasters, do some research on local school terms and pick a day when the schools are back (late Aug/early Sept is perfect)  and go here: http://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharborla/info/parkInfo.aspx. It is about an hour north of Santa Monica by car. If it is really quiet (and you have a strong stomach) you can do everything in a morning. If you have the missis with you there is a big outlet centre nearby (circa 40 mins drive).

You can both in a day (rental car needed but good value) and be back for dinner in Santa Monica by 6.

Camarillo outlets: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=la+camarillo+outlet&hl=en&ll=34.21599,-119.060147&spn=0.010008,0.01929&sll=34.216717,-119.057207&sspn=0.010007,0.01929&t=h&radius=0.66&hq=la+camarillo+outlet&z=16

6 Flags Hurricane Harbour: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=la+6+flags&hl=en&ll=34.42293,-118.595449&spn=0.004991,0.009645&sll=34.422505,-118.594708&sspn=0.004991,0.009645&t=h&radius=0.33&hq=la+6+flags&z=17
MWWSI 2017

muppet

If you don't want to go too far in LA try http://www.queenmary.com/index.php in Long Beach. I particularly liked the Cold War Submarine: http://www.queenmary.com/attractions-events/scorpion-sub.php.
MWWSI 2017

Ed Hardy

Not exactly sure how we are going to get about.. was thinking of bus/train from San Fran to LA. then same again from L.A. to San Diego,  then flying to Vegas from there. I know thats going back on myself on a bit but we want to finish in Vegas to blow the wheels off for last few days lol.. there should be 4 of us going so taxis shouldn't be so bad divided between us.. Is it best to stay in around Union Sq in San fran? And was thinking off Mission Beach area for San Diego. 

Eamonnca1

Fisherman's Wharf might be a better place to stay than Union Sq since it'll be handy to a lot if the things you'll be doing. Book your Alcatraz tour at least a week in advance. Giants baseball games are very affordable.

Driving SF to LA takes about six hours, a lot longer if you take the scenic route down the coast.

Train from SF to LA takes 12 hours. In fact you have to pick up the train in Oakland or San Jose. Nice if you're into that sort of thing, there's a dining car and panoramic viewing car with seats facing the windows. They sometimes have volunteers who act as your guides and tell you what you're seeing.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Santa Monica from where you can get bus tours which I think are the best way to see the sights. Could have spent the time there without renting a car, the only time I really needed it was to get down to Long Beach to see the Queen Mary, which I highly recommend.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rois on September 28, 2013, 12:42:04 PM

True Rois although I'd say LA is a kip, but the beach suburbs like Santa Monica are nice. However San Diego is a nicer city and also has Pacific Beach, Mission Bay and La Jolla as well. LA itself  was a real disappointment for me.

Rois

Can I also add in a shout for Palm Springs if you're into either golf or sunbathing. We had theeeee best time there - boyfriend played golf at giveaway rates, I shopped and sunbathed and there were lovely restaurants for evening entertainment. You could stop offon way to Vegas. .

If there's 4 of you, hire a convertible Mustang and drive from SF to LA - we got four day hire for about £120 with Dollar.

I would do that trip again in the morning.

Stall the Bailer

I loved the drive between San Francisco and Santa Monica. Would highly recommend stops at Monterey and Santa Barbara.