Petrolhead culture

Started by Eamonnca1, March 24, 2024, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on March 25, 2024, 10:00:39 AM
Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 09:49:55 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:39:39 AMThe black box thing is a load of shite. Driving too slow is hazardous as well. Limiting young ones to 1.2 litre would make more sense.

Good idea, Very hard to police though.

I see vans are limited to 50mph. 

Think it be handy enough to police, when getting insurance and your licence issue date is within the last 2 years when the insurer puts the vehicle reg in it gives you the vehicle details. if its engine size is over 1.2 then they cant offer a policy. honestly, the saying speed kills is so true, not saying it'll solve everything but it would certainly cut down on how severe some accidents are.
The 1.2 will soon be nulled when everyone is in an electric car that goes from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. 

Armagh18

Quote from: Would ye whist on March 25, 2024, 12:18:01 PMHe knows everything, or at least thinks he does, could start an argument in an empty house

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 25, 2024, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2024, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:39:39 AMThe black box thing is a load of shite. Driving too slow is hazardous as well. Limiting young ones to 1.2 litre would make more sense.

The box is to keep within the speed limits, are you encouraging driving over the limits?

Talk me through that

the lad just likes to be controversial. Thinks it makes him look cool
Who the f**k are you lol

tyrone08

Simplest thing to do is upon passing your test you have to sit through a 2 hour speed course showing the real life consequences. Actual local stories with photos would soon make a few young ones pay att.

armaghniac

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 25, 2024, 12:55:03 PMSimplest thing to do is upon passing your test you have to sit through a 2 hour speed course showing the real life consequences. Actual local stories with photos would soon make a few young ones pay att.

Would it though? Everyone knows of these accidents, but they carry on regardless anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: armaghniac on March 25, 2024, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on March 25, 2024, 12:55:03 PMSimplest thing to do is upon passing your test you have to sit through a 2 hour speed course showing the real life consequences. Actual local stories with photos would soon make a few young ones pay att.

Would it though? Everyone knows of these accidents, but they carry on regardless anyway.

I agree, and ties in with the point I had made earlier, some people don't learn until they go through it unfortunately, and some people will never learn and wise up. 

Not to go down the route of the law, or to open that can of worms too much, but some of the sentences for driving offences are pish poor and wouldn't discourage offenders in the slightest.   

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

WeeDonns

Extend the "R" period to 3 years
Nothing over 1.2 in that period & no unrelated passengers 10pm – 7am

Government are never going to introduce rules like that, so its up to parents really.
Although in this most recent accident they may have already been driving 3+ years, so would make no difference

I rolled a car when 30, driving too hard in slippery conditions on a road I was familiar with, so can't lecture.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: Would ye whist on March 25, 2024, 12:18:01 PMHe knows everything, or at least thinks he does, could start an argument in an empty house

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 25, 2024, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2024, 10:16:47 AM

The box is to keep within the speed limits, are you encouraging driving over the limits?

Talk me through that

the lad just likes to be controversial. Thinks it makes him look cool
Who the f**k are you lol

He can't read a post properly, he's old, he couldn't wait to jump in thinking it was me the other poster was posting about, when it was you lol! Ah god love him!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

I'm sure I posted this on another thread, but in this era of mollycoddling our children to the nth degree - in effect elongating their childhoods for as long as possible - our willingness and encouragement for them to facilitate them driving as soon as they turn 17, doesn't make any sense.

——-

Fwiw, in my experience the petrol head culture is dwindling, certainly around here. It's been replaced by a an image culture of needing a car that looks the part - the right car brand, nice alloys and calipers, personalised plates, and so on. Which again is only possible because parents facilitate it. I suppose this doesn't do any harm apart from every youngster forced into a 1 litre on passing the test, upgrades to 2+ litre land a year later. Part of the brand and all that.

——-

Key solutions i'd recommend:

1. Until 3 years of a clean driving is completed (however long that takes), then points on the licence equate to months off the road. So a 3 point penalty becomes 3 months banned from driving. And when you start driving, it's back to day 1.

2. Until 3 years of a clean driving licence is completed, driving without a tracker is illegal. No mucking around, no exceptions. If you're pulled over and can't produce a track, then you lose the books.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 08:43:46 AMOn  similiar vein to this road safety issue, I think it should be complusory that anyone out walking, day or evening, should have a hi-viz vest on.

The amount of people I see out at dusk walking, wear black/dark clothes is scary.

Plus all school uniforms and bags should have a few hi-viz strips or reflections on them.  I'd say it'd be simple enough to design and install.

If roads are so dangerous that people have to dress like construction workers just to go about their daily business then we've got a serious problem that no amount of high-viz is going to fix.

AustinPowers

Speed is obviously a factor in accidents , but so is  not driving appropriately to the  weather conditions,  using a mobile etc

But the amount of people who do not stick to under 30 or 40 in a built up area  is unbelievable.  And that's all ages of drivers , not  just youngsters.

I would always do  my  utmost to adhere to 30/40 zones , but  I've lost count of the number  of times people have overtaken me  while in a zone , maybe  with a school, housing estate, children around  in plain sight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 25, 2024, 03:34:45 PMSpeed is obviously a factor in accidents , but so is  not driving appropriately to the  weather conditions,  using a mobile etc

But the amount of people who do not stick to under 30 or 40 in a built up area  is unbelievable.  And that's all ages of drivers , not  just youngsters.

I would always do  my  utmost to adhere to 30/40 zones , but  I've lost count of the number  of times people have overtaken me  while in a zone , maybe  with a school, housing estate, children around  in plain sight

Would be guilty of pushing it to the outer limits of the speed laws. I've got better over the years though the older I get, as you say taking chances in built up areas and where kids are about is not on.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2024, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 08:43:46 AMOn  similiar vein to this road safety issue, I think it should be complusory that anyone out walking, day or evening, should have a hi-viz vest on.

The amount of people I see out at dusk walking, wear black/dark clothes is scary.

Plus all school uniforms and bags should have a few hi-viz strips or reflections on them.  I'd say it'd be simple enough to design and install.

If roads are so dangerous that people have to dress like construction workers just to go about their daily business then we've got a serious problem that no amount of high-viz is going to fix.

Bit arrogant that answer and not addressing the issue I raised about people out walking at dusk with dark clothes on nor re: school uniforms.

But hey anything for a quick quip.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 03:48:04 PM

Bit arrogant that answer and not addressing the issue I raised about people out walking at dusk with dark clothes on nor re: school uniforms.

yeah the school uniform is a good idea. Seen a  road safety video of a child about to cross a road, first clip shes in dark clothes and you cant see her at all but the second shes in reflective coat and can be seen. Scary the difference tbh.

Eamonnca1

I'm not gonna lie. I distinctly remember myself and my mates getting into completely unnecessary situations on the road where we quite literally nearly killed people. Our reaction at the time was to laugh at it. I look back in horror at the way we behaved.

There is something about the teenage brain that leads to increased risk-taking.

A Teen's Brain Isn't Fully Developed Until Age 25

Regulation of teenage driving needs to be seriously tightened up. In California they're quite strict.

For the first 12 months after obtaining a provisional license, a teenager is not allowed to have passengers under the age of 20 in the car unless they are accompanied by a licensed driver 25 years or older.

There's also a curfew. Teen drivers with a provisional license are not allowed to drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first 12 months after obtaining their license.

Teenagers can't use a mobile phone when driving, even with a hands-free device, except in an emergency.

Drink-driving laws for teenagers take a zero-tolerance approach. Teenagers caught driving with any amount of alcohol in their system will face severe consequences, including license suspension and possible criminal charges.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 03:48:04 PM

So you want to live in a society where we all walk about our streets looking like we just stepped off a building site? Are you serious?