All the pressure is on Kerry to deliver an All Ireland in 2021

Started by TheGreatest, May 13, 2021, 11:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

After the 5 in a row Fitzmaurice said :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30951089.html
"the roll of honour is a more important thing to protect and that becomes a challenge for the next decade".

The gap between the 2 counties in the roll of honour is now 7 .
Can Dublin win 13 in a row? I don't think punters or advertisers would stand for it.

The WTF factor would be too high. The All Ireland Final is already very hard for journalists to cover.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2021, 08:28:29 AM

"the roll of honour is a more important thing to protect and that becomes a challenge for the next decade".

Can Dublin win 13 in a row? I don't think punters or advertisers would stand for it.

The WTF factor would be too high. The All Ireland Final is already very hard for journalists to cover.
I think it is close to a racing certainty that Dublin will overtake Kerry within 10 years in the roll of honour.  The players lives are resourced beyond all other counties to facilitate their excellence and will win 4 or 5 out of every 6 future all Irelands. Fair play to them, I like their style of football.       

yellowcard

Quote from: macker15 on June 15, 2021, 09:09:33 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 03, 2021, 12:59:48 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on June 02, 2021, 08:09:41 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/why-kerry-have-a-real-chance-of-knocking-the-dubs-off-their-perch-and-winning-the-all-ireland-this-year-40487762.html

::)

Perfect example of a pundit trying to hype up a non competitive championship. It's in the media's interest to sell the product, the more that debate is triggered the more that media can generate interest.

In a once off match anything can happen and Kerry could beat Dublin once in five games maybe. On the other hand they might not make the AI final as they are also capable of losing to some other contenders (as we seen with Cork last year). Kerry had a golden opportunity to beat the Dubs in the 2019 final after the Dubs were reduced to 14 men for the last 45 minutes but Kerry failed to see the match out and the inevitable result followed in the replay.

The title thread suggests that all the pressure is on Kerry to deliver an AI title this year. I don't see that at all though as I don't know of many people who expect them to actually win it, perhaps some within their own county do. There may be a general expectancy that they are capable of making the final but even that is dubious. There are still too many question marks for me. I do think that Keane needs to get them to an AI final this year though to stay in the post.   

They're very robotic in everything they do , when you see lads like Jack mac and Mannion walking away from a winning team at 26/27 years old, Jack mac saying he got depressed when he heard there was no extra time in the 2019 final and that the thought of having to do 2 more weeks made him sick says it all really, I doubt there are any young lads in dublin or anywhere else in the country trying to replicate the dublin players sprinting around the place hand passing the ball and trying to bore the other young lads to death.

Funny thing while I was watching our game v Tyrone on Saturday and King David missed a punched goal I turned to my son and angrily said Gooch wouldn't have missed that, that'll tell you how spoilt we are in the kingdom.

You have jumped right on board the Kerry hype train anyway, there is certainly no yerra yerra stuff with you!

I heard Peter Keane interviewed after the Tyrone match on Sunday where he said with a straight face that if you took the 6 goals that they scored out of the match, then there was very little between the 2 sides!!   

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on June 16, 2021, 10:05:24 AM

I think it is close to a racing certainty that Dublin will overtake Kerry within 10 years in the roll of honour.  The players lives are resourced beyond all other counties to facilitate their excellence and will win 4 or 5 out of every 6 future all Irelands. Fair play to them, I like their style of football.     
They are fantastic to watch. But sport needs competition. So what if Kerry win one Sam.
Dublin have won 8 of the last 10. With 3 different teams.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macker15

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2021, 11:56:09 AM
Quote from: rrhf on June 16, 2021, 10:05:24 AM

They are fantastic to watch. But sport needs competition. So what if Kerry win one Sam.
Dublin have won 8 of the last 10. With 3 different teams.

Good quiz guestion. Can you name 45 players who have won all irelands medals?

imtommygunn

45 would be pretty easy. 45 from Dublin would be tough enough I suspect.

larryin89

They should play the all Ireland final in killarney. . No crowds no reason it needs to be in croke park
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

TheGreatest

Kerry no devine right to be top dog no longer, nor do the Dubs for the matter, times have changed, next 50 will be different from the last 50 Years.

greatpoint

The annual "Kerry will dethrone the Dubs" narrative is now in full swing

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on June 17, 2021, 01:16:23 PM
They should play the all Ireland final in killarney. . No crowds no reason it needs to be in croke park

Why should Kerry get special treatment?

macker15

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2021, 10:21:56 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 17, 2021, 01:16:23 PM

Why should Kerry get special treatment?

As are the kings of gaelic football.

TheGreatest

Eric Lowndes gone now, also Kev Mc(In Tokyo ). john Small, Cooper and Murchan all fitness doubts , Cluxton, list goes on. Not the same team.

Definitely Kerry's to lose, It has been good while it lasted.

Armagh18

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 13, 2021, 11:50:18 AM
Eric Lowndes gone now, also Kev Mc(In Tokyo ). john Small, Cooper and Murchan all fitness doubts , Cluxton, list goes on. Not the same team.

Would you quit. Dubs have lost Connolly, McCaffrey and Brogan in last few years without batting an eyelid, lads who'd be in the conversation for an all time best 15.

yellowcard

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 13, 2021, 11:50:18 AM

I don't know what your modus operandi is but you seem to be on some sort of crusade to hail kerry as the greatest team that ever played the game before they have even won one AI title. I think this is slightly premature but I do think with all the defections Dublin have had in the last 18 months, that Kerry have a glorious chance to win it this year now.

Dublin have lost so many stalwarts that they could now be considered to be going through a transitionary period. Any county that gets their act together over the next few years will have a better chance of winning an AI and Kerry appear to be the team best positioned. I would even go as far as to say that they probably now have better players all over the pitch than Dublin. Psychologically they have questions to answer though as they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory during the closing stages in big championship games in the last 2 seasons. Until they win an AI those questions will remain unanswered.

larryin89

some craic if it ended up a Tyrone v Mayo final.   
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .