Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I'm not doing anything of the sort. I have absolutely no issue with trans people whatsoever. I'm simply not in favour of the rights of women and lesbians being trampled on. None of that is disrespectful, ridiculing or bigoted towards trans people.

Can you please answer the question about the definition of a woman? Is it your definition?

RedHand88

screenexile

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2020, 02:34:51 PM
[/u]
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 11:07:01 AM
I absolutely agree with your first comment there. Hence why the likes of Daniel Radcliffe, imbued with the emotion of the suffering of women through the centuries, deciding that transwomen are women is utterly laughable.
If you agree with my comment, you cannot agree with JK Rowling.

JK Rowling is not the trans women suffering constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry, and neither are you.

JK Rowling is a woman, a group has suffered constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry throughout history and continues to to this day all across the world.

The vast majority of people telling her she doesn't know what a woman is, or that she should accept their definition of what a woman is are not women. They are men or transwomen. See twats like Radcliffe, Owen Jones or that insufferable Irish p***k Aidan Comerford.
JK Rowling is being called out precisely because she is engaging in disrespect, ridicule and bigotry against trans women.

Your argument is essentially the same as saying that because Irish people as a whole suffered from oppression, that individual Irish people are therefore incapable of themselves becoming oppressors.

She was taking the piss out of the notion of "people who menstruate"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/international-womens-day-has-hijacked-trans-activists/amp/

"Olufemi - who had dropped out of the conference when she learned about Todd's involvement - wrote a statement saying that 'womanhood' is an 'umbrella term' under which all and sundry can gather. The author poured scorn on the notion of fighting for 'sex-based rights', calling the struggles to maintain female-only refuges, hospital wards, prisons and changing rooms "abhorrent""

Some of the trans rhetoric is absolute bollocks.
That's probably the first Telegraph article I have ever agreed with completely.

Imagine the fuss if usage of the noun "Man" was to be replaced byManx in order to make the term 'more inclusive' of trans and 'non-binary' students  ;D  That male sex wasn't a biological reality but a state one can feel oneself into -  without having the necessary appendage and all that behind the scenes stuff.

seafoid

La Leche League re-wrote its mission statement to remove the words woman and mother

https://lllusa.org/about-us/ "helps parents, families, and communities to breastfeed, chestfeed, and human milk feed their babies"

https://www.lllc.ca/joint-statement-use-term-chestfeeding
Chestfeeding is a term used by many transmasculine and non-binary parents to describe how they feed and nurture their children from their bodies.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 11:07:01 AM
I absolutely agree with your first comment there. Hence why the likes of Daniel Radcliffe, imbued with the emotion of the suffering of women through the centuries, deciding that transwomen are women is utterly laughable.
If you agree with my comment, you cannot agree with JK Rowling.

JK Rowling is not the trans women suffering constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry, and neither are you.

JK Rowling is a woman, a group has suffered constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry throughout history and continues to to this day all across the world.

The vast majority of people telling her she doesn't know what a woman is, or that she should accept their definition of what a woman is are not women. They are men or transwomen. See twats like Radcliffe, Owen Jones or that insufferable Irish p***k Aidan Comerford.
JK Rowling is being called out precisely because she is engaging in disrespect, ridicule and bigotry against trans women.

Your argument is essentially the same as saying that because Irish people as a whole suffered from oppression, that individual Irish people are therefore incapable of themselves becoming oppressors.

She must have offended the trans jihadis.
Her argument is quite sophisticated. She doesn't think the purely agitational approach helps the trans movement.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2020, 05:37:01 PM
Jk Rowling releases a statement, a long one.

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/
from her article
'The current explosion of trans activism is urging a removal of almost all the robust systems through which candidates for sex reassignment were once required to pass. A man who intends to have no surgery and take no hormones may now secure himself a Gender Recognition Certificate and be a woman in the sight of the law. Many people aren't aware of this
....the Scottish government is proceeding with its controversial gender recognition plans, which will in effect mean that all a man needs to 'become a woman' is to say he's one.ยด

seafoid

Also from the article

"It's been clear to me for a while that the new trans activism is having (or is likely to have, if all its demands are met) a significant impact on many of the causes I support, because it's pushing to erode the legal definition of sex and replace it with gender."

Changing legal fundamentals to benefit maybe 0.2% of the population at the expense of 51% doesn't seem to be plausible.

Maiden1

The main take I got from the JK Rowling article was that less is more sometimes, nearly 4000 words is more like the scattergun approach people take when in a school history test where they just put everything they can think of down on WW2 no matter what the question was.  Her husband used to beat her up is very tenuously related to trans issues and would surely justify her taking up the cause of domestic abuse victims, not going after someone who likes to wear a dress.

One of the issues I have with JK Rowling and Linehan even more so is that they spend an unhealthy amount of time tweeting (and presumably thinking) about something that isn't really that important.  If someone came into a pub and said they think the Tyrone team of 2005 was the best team ever there might be some back and forward and eventually people would either agree or disagree and move on but if the person kept coming back to the topic every 5 minutes someone would probably just say we have got your point and eventually tell them to shut to #### up about it.

My own slightly sitting on the fence view on the whole thing is if someone thought chopping off something doesn't change you from the sex you were born into I'd shrug and think I can see where you are coming from and if someone else said they feel emotionally more like a woman and would like to identify as 1 I'd shrug and think ok fair enough.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Taylor

Whoever runs the social media arm of The Body Shop will be looking for new employment today I imagine - or at least I would hope so

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2020, 11:01:55 AM
Whoever runs the social media arm of The Body Shop will be looking for new employment today I imagine - or at least I would hope so
Why? And why do you hope they lose their job?

seafoid

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2020, 11:01:55 AM

They call themselves "one of the most marginalised and vulnerable groups in society" but want to change the legal focus from sex to gender.
I wonder how it will pan out.