Piegate

Started by imtommygunn, February 21, 2017, 05:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39045017

The world has gone mad.

Why did they offer the odds in the first place??

All seems a bit ludicrous.

Denn Forever

Ashers Bakery taking offence again?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2017, 05:17:11 PM

The world has gone mad.

Publicity

Publicity

Publicity

And they found a willing halfwit
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Taylor

Sun Bets were sponsoring Sutton - offered a range of crazy bets to promote the sponsorship (see their jersey).

Obviously looking at PP where no publicity is bad publicity

imtommygunn

Quote from: Minder on February 21, 2017, 05:24:51 PM

The world has gone mad.

Publicity

Publicity

Publicity

That about sums it up.

Take Your Points

The world has gone mad.

Publicity

Publicity

Publicity

Hopefully someone in the club had the wit to put a considerable amount of club funds on the bet to swell the club coffers.

mrdeeds

The fault lies with the Scum newspaper. If he didn't eat a pie knowing there was odds on it then surely he implicated aswell?? Just reading about him he helps maintain the club and sleeps on a couch three times a week to do so. He was also president of the disabled, womens and community teams in the area.

Minder

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 21, 2017, 05:49:15 PM

The world has gone mad.

Publicity

Publicity

Publicity

Hopefully someone in the club had the wit to put a considerable amount of club funds on the bet to swell the club coffers.

I'm assuming they had very little takers for the bet, otherwise it wouldn't have went ahead
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mrdeeds

It was a maximum bet of 5 pounds so they knew what they were at.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on February 22, 2017, 01:16:12 PM
Interesting that the BBC cameras caught the event live.
They were covering the match and the ground is tiny so I personally wouldn't read too much into it. I watched the match and it was obvious at the time he was doing it for show so I don't tweets and Facebook pages that it was hilarious and "summed up the magic of the FA Cup". It was cynical and looked fairly pathetic. Shaw has resigned.

Taylor

Sun Bets are being investigated and could be in trouble.

Shaw was naive in the extreme - was getting loads of attention and loving it. Every club has this type of character.

Considering the work he has done for the club (much of it unpaid) including maintaining the stands, cleaning changing rooms, working in club house, maintaining the pitch - to force him to hand in his resignation is a pretty shitty thing to do all things concerned.

But the Sutton were prepared to take the cash from the Sun and screw over existing sponsor says a lot about them

mrdeeds

The same fella a few years ago tried to attack spectators for slagging him about his weight and then he tries to cash in on it. It's hard to know whether to feel sympathy or not for him. He was exploited by the Sun but he was a willing participant.

AZOffaly

Apropos of nothing really, this reminds me of a time I went to a Limerick v Waterford eirtricity league game. There was a crowd of probably less than the number of players but there was woeful slagging from the Limerick fans to Jimmy Gough the waterford manager. I think he managed limerick previously.  Anyway one hefty lad was giving him some slagging,  not overly nasty but fairly cutting about his team and leaving Limerick. 

Gough turned around and said "Shut up you fat b**tard". The 'crowd' all went oooooooh but the fan never skipped a beat.

"I might be a fat b**tard, but I can lose weight. You'll always be an ugly b**tard."

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2017, 07:34:40 PM
Apropos of nothing really, this reminds me of a time I went to a Limerick v Waterford eirtricity league game. There was a crowd of probably less than the number of players but there was woeful slagging from the Limerick fans to Jimmy Gough the waterford manager. I think he managed limerick previously.  Anyway one hefty lad was giving him some slagging,  not overly nasty but fairly cutting about his team and leaving Limerick. 

Gough turned around and said "Shut up you fat b**tard". The 'crowd' all went oooooooh but the fan never skipped a beat.

"I might be a fat b**tard, but I can lose weight. You'll always be an ugly b**tard."
Probably wasn't the first time he was called a fat bastard so he had his answer ready.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

True. It did seem rehearsed alright. The manager didn't like it though. He offered to fight him in the car park.