Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

JimStynes

Time will tell if it's a good buy at £1m. The other keeps cost more and they're useless. As someone on Twitter said, Brett the Hitman Hart would be an upgrade to the current keeper never mind Joe Hart.

general_lee

Hart brings with him a wealth of experience, has played at the highest level and is used to playing under pressure along with the expectation of winning every week. Also a good sign that he's willing to take the pay cut for regular first team football. He's 34 so potentially a another 2/3 years left in him. Not the worst signing in the world by any stretch. Likewise McCarthy, another experienced player who can offer a lot to Celtic providing he stays injury free

ned

Quote from: general_lee on August 04, 2021, 12:34:55 PM
Hart brings with him a wealth of experience, has played at the highest level and is used to playing under pressure along with the expectation of winning every week. Also a good sign that he's willing to take the pay cut for regular first team football. He's 34 so potentially a another 2/3 years left in him. Not the worst signing in the world by any stretch. Likewise McCarthy, another experienced player who can offer a lot to Celtic providing he stays injury free

What the hell are you saying! It isn't an abomination signing these two? They aren't the worst signings in history?  ;)

Nice to see a balance to the usual trolls on this thread. I'm hopeful for both and they add much needed experience.

From the Bunker

Hart and McCarthy are both gambles. God knows how good Hart is anymore. It's 5 years since he played 1st team for City. McCarthy's injuries have been a disaster.

But beggars can't be choosers - hope it's not another Shane Duffy sort of situation.

yellowcard

At their peak both McCarthy and Hart were probably valued as £15m players. Admittedly neither never really lived up to their reputations although they have both played at a much higher level in the EPL for several years and have had decent careers. There are still 3 or 4 years left in both of them certainly at SPL level anyway. Hart has a lot to prove having not played much in recent seasons and a lot depends on his frame of mind and motivation levels - taking a big pay cut is a good sign in that respect. With McCarthy I think his biggest issue will be staying injury free. He is a boyhood Celtic fan and certainly shouldn't struggle for motivation anyway.   

bennydorano

Game on BBC Scotland HD now, 2nd half, pish. Should be 3 or 4 ahead. 2-1 up atm

Orior

Hartson calling it as it is in the post mortem - terrible sunday league level defending by Celtic.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

StPatsAbu

The 2 goals Hart conceded are worrying already

general_lee

A win's a win. Whatever about the defensive shortcomings, which need addressed urgently, the more pressing issue was the result.

MoChara

Quote from: lenny on August 03, 2021, 10:34:21 PM
Quote from: MoChara on August 03, 2021, 09:24:28 PM
My only real concerns about signing Hart and McCarthy is that there's no way they are Anges choices.

Totally disagree. I'd imagine after watching the team in the games so far he's pleaded with the board to give him a few experienced pros who can give leadership. I'd say he's absolutely delighted with these signings.

I'll walk back my statement after seeing what Ange said during the week as you say it sounds like he brought them in for the experience and leadership. it's just the fact we;'ve been linked with these 2 for years now made it seem unlikely to be him.

toby47

Quote from: general_lee on August 06, 2021, 12:17:34 AM
A win's a win. Whatever about the defensive shortcomings, which need addressed urgently, the more pressing issue was the result.

That team were as bad a team as I've seen Celtic play in a few years tbh. i'd be hoping to beat them a bit more convincingly than they did - defensively a shamble again.

Will Edouard leave this summer? A striker is already needed, will need two if he leaves.

Main Street

Quote from: MoChara on August 06, 2021, 08:29:43 AM
My only real concerns about signing Hart and McCarthy is that there's no way they are Anges choices.

Totally disagree. I'd imagine after watching the team in the games so far he's pleaded with the board to give him a few experienced pros who can give leadership. I'd say he's absolutely delighted with these signings.

I'll walk back my statement after seeing what Ange said during the week as you say it sounds like he brought them in for the experience and leadership. it's just the fact we;'ve been linked with these 2 for years now made it seem unlikely to be him.
The thing is McCarthy isn't a leader. Trap always referred to certain players needing 'personality', that were too shy and needed to impose themselves more  in midfield.  McCarthy was a case in point, I think Trap went out of his way to avoid using McCarthy, like playing him out of place in the nr 10 role  in a friendly V Uruguay just to expose shortcomings.   Apart from the goals scored, Calamity Joe looked good :)

Like Ronny, Ange is making an upward step to be at  Celtic (just happy to be here) and hasn't the clout with the board , whereas  Brendan already had the aura and within limits could lay down his agenda.

lenny

Quote from: Main Street on August 06, 2021, 08:41:49 PM
Quote from: MoChara on August 06, 2021, 08:29:43 AM

The thing is McCarthy isn't a leader. Trap always referred to certain players needing 'personality', that were too shy and needed to impose themselves more  in midfield.  McCarthy was a case in point, I think Trap went out of his way to avoid using McCarthy, like playing him out of place in the nr 10 role  in a friendly V Uruguay just to expose shortcomings.   Apart from the goals scored, Calamity Joe looked good :)

Like Ronny, Ange is making an upward step to be at  Celtic (just happy to be here) and hasn't the clout with the board , whereas  Brendan already had the aura and within limits could lay down his agenda.

Once again I'll agree to disagree. For the last 7 or 8 seasons at least Celtic have had a policy of only buying players who had sell on value. Usually promising players aged 18-21. Ange has persuaded the board to radically change this policy by buying 2 experienced pros who've signed contracts to finish their careers at Celtic. Hart and McCarthy have no sell on value. Apart from loan signings we've brought in zero experienced players for a good while. That can only be down to Ange.

bennydorano

Agree with that Lenny, I don't think he's going to take their shite, but then again we won't be going after Messi on a free. We now need an experienced MF sledger who can play a bit.

JimStynes