Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dag Dog

You can take the man out of Tipp!
Will that pout an end to the sponsorship deal?

Multi-millionaire Declan Kelly reduces Teneo work after drunken antics at charity event

June 24 2021 06:42 PM

Multi-millionaire PR mogul and Tipperary hurling sponsor Declan Kelly has stepped back from some of his responsibilities as CEO and chair of Teneo, the strategy firm he co-founded, after drunkenly misbehaving at a charity event last month.

According to a statement put out by a spokesperson for the chief executive, Mr Kelly "became inebriated and behaved inappropriately towards women and men" at cocktail party for a fundraising concert hosted by Global Citizen on May 2.

The event, which was chaired by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and featured performances by Jennifer Lopez and Selena Gomez, was raising money for a global Covid vaccine campaign.

Mr Kelly has also resigned his board seat at Global Citizen, an anti-poverty charity chaired by Chris Stadler, the managing partner of CVC Capital Partners, the majority shareholder in Teneo.

Mr Kelly was asked for his resignation the day after the event.

The spokesperson's statement said Mr Kelly regretted his actions and had apologised to those he had offended. It added that Mr Kelly had "temporarily reduced his work responsibilities", was "committed to sobriety" and was "undertaking ongoing counselling from healthcare professionals".

The Financial Times first reported news of Mr Kelly's decision.

It is understood that Mr Kelly was not asked to give up his responsibilities, had made the decision himself and was continuing to do work.

He is due to return to work full-time in September and will retain his titles and leadership position in the firm. The ownership structure of Teneo will not be changing either, meaning Mr Kelly will be keeping his ownership stake.

Tipperary-born Mr Kelly, brother of Labour TD Alan Kelly, co-founded Teneo in 2011 along with Paul Keary and Clinton advisor Doug Band after a career in journalism and PR that started at the Nenagh Guardian.

After running Financial Dynamics in the US and work in corporate advisor FTI Consulting, Mr Kelly got to know Bill and Hillary Clinton via journalist Niall O'Dowd. He ultimately parlayed that relationship into a role as US economic envoy to Northern Ireland. Bill Clinton was an early advisor on Teneo's books, along with former British prime minister Tony Blair.

Teneo has grown rapidly in the last decade through aggressive networking and numerous acquisitions into a major PR advisory and strategic consultancy with 1,100 employees and offices in New York, Dublin, London and other major cities.

CVC came on as a shareholder in 2017 when the private equity firm bought a majority stake in Teneo for a reported €309m from BC Partners, an earlier backer of the company.

That transaction valued the company at a reported $700m.

CVC increased that stake in February to enable Teneo to buy Deloitte's UK restructuring business in a €250m deal, expanding the business's capabilities.

The firm boasts some of the biggest multinational corporations as clients and has several influential former politicians, including former US senator George Mitchell and former British home secretary Amber Rudd, on its payroll.

Mr Kelly's LinkedIn profile states that he is "recognized in particular for his crisis management experience".

In Ireland Teneo is deeply involved in sport, as well as acting as a public relations representative for several companies. Former Ireland rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll is an advisor and the firm sponsors Tipperary hurling.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0624/1231181-power-play-can-limerick-and-galway-be-beaten/Limerick's success usually stems from dominating between the 45s and scoring points from distance – they racked up an average of 0-28 per championship game last year.

They only scored three goals in five games and got them all against Tipperary in a Munster semi-final played in driving November rain.

One method that might pay dividends is crowding the centre ground Limerick so effectively control with deep-lying half-forwards.

Waterford managed to unsettle them in the Munster final but were less effective in the All-Ireland, where Limerick repeatedly came out on top in the rucks.

"I think if any team is going to get Limerick it's going to be like what Waterford did last year," suggests two-time All-Ireland winner Brendan Cummins.

"Come out around the middle third, flood it with bodies and have two inside.

"We saw Tipp try it for the first time ever (in the league), playing with nobody inside the opposition 45. But the delivery of the ball between your 45 and 65 is still key.

"If you're wasteful there and don't use the 10-yard pass rather than the 40-yard one they will get you on the counter-attack, point. That's a lot of hot-wiring players differently because they usually get on the ball on their own 45 and look long."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Capt Pat

Clare will want to take a higher percentage of their chances against Tip the next day. They had too many bad wides and should have won by a lot more. Waterford were very disppointing.

johnnycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 27, 2021, 05:59:59 PM
Clare will want to take a higher percentage of their chances against Tip the next day. They had too many bad wides and should have won by a lot more. Waterford were very disppointing.

Waterford very flat and taking the wrong option more times than enough, made a hero our of John Conlon.

Clare will be happy with that and will believe they can give Tipp a right rattle. Shanagher migh cause Paudie problems in at fullback as Paudie doesn't have a great track record in there when against tall, rangy catchers of the ball.

imtommygunn

I'm sure Tipp will watch Kelly better though. Waterford were really poor. If I were a waterford supporter Gleeson would frustrate me greatly.

Shanaher is a big wrecking ball. He's hard to watch but I guess you need to not allow him to be isolated the way he was to allow Kelly to run off him.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 28, 2021, 08:41:12 AM
I'm sure Tipp will watch Kelly better though. Waterford were really poor. If I were a waterford supporter Gleeson would frustrate me greatly.

Shanaher is a big wrecking ball. He's hard to watch but I guess you need to not allow him to be isolated the way he was to allow Kelly to run off him.

If Kelly plays that near to goal then Cathal Barrett will be dispatched onto him and no better man to man mark. The Shanagher/Kelly axis was pretty obvious from the get go, but Waterford didn't seem to respond.
Genuinely think Tipp would be better sending Barry Heffernan back onto Shanagher than Paudie Maher. Paudie has slowed up a bit and leaving him inside on Shanagher would be a big risk for Tipp IMO.

Limerick v Cork SHOULD be a win for Limerick but if Cork sort out their puck outs (which I don't think they will) and get a few runs at the Limerick defence (which I don't think they will be allowed to do) then they have a chance but they'll need 3 plus goals and Limerick don't concede goals as much as they don't score them.

two cracking games in Leinster as well, Wex v KK and Dublin v Galway.

Galway can be caught cold every once in a while and if the dubs have serious ambitions of stepping up then they need to do it this weekend otherwise Galway will put 10 plus on them.

The other game is much harder to call and I'd fancy Wexford if they put out a more attack minded team with more players nearer the Kilkenny goals than they normally do. I rate McDonald and O'Connor highly and with Chin in close proximity up top they'll cause this Kilkenny defence issues as they still have a few average hurlers in there.
It will be interesting to see if the new Kilkenny gameplan goes out the window if TJ and Walter aren't winning ball in the Wexford defence.

imtommygunn

I haven't been watching the league. Has Maher reverted to full back? I thought the brother was usually full back.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 28, 2021, 09:53:35 AM
I haven't been watching the league. Has Maher reverted to full back? I thought the brother was usually full back.

Paudie played there in the last game and went well, can't remember who it was against, but he'd a poor year last year out in the half back line.
Ronan seems to be further out the field now.

mouview

If I was a Deise supporter, there'd be a lot more to frustrate me than Gleeson. He put in a good shift yesterday, unlike most of his teammates.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on June 28, 2021, 11:08:12 AM

If I was a Deise supporter, there'd be a lot more to frustrate me than Gleeson. He put in a good shift yesterday, unlike most of his teammates.

Almost half the team that started in last years AI final were out for various reasons, that's a big churn in any team, but I do think they played an aimless brand of hurling not helped with basic handling and control errors.

Gallybander

Waterford have 3 weeks until the qualifier and if Conor Prunty and Jamie Barron are back fit I'd be confident we'll make it back to the quarter finals.

seafoid

It doesn't matter what happens in June.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2021, 10:36:06 AM

True, although going round the houses to an AI semi-final was Galways undoing last year. Too many weekends on the road took it's toll

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 01, 2021, 01:01:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2021, 10:36:06 AM

True, although going round the houses to an AI semi-final was Galways undoing last year. Too many weekends on the road took it's toll
I don't think they were good enough. they have strengthened up since.