The Covid all Ireland hurling championship 2020/21

Started by seafoid, June 26, 2020, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 29, 2020, 06:00:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2020, 05:55:44 PM
Limerick won't be back next year? How do you figure that one?

A day of the odd comments from him.

All Ireland final a repeat of the Munster final. Wishing Joe a speedy recovery.
Most of his comments are off the wall tbh

didlyi

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2020, 06:00:23 PM
Is there's any danger that fans (small amount) be at Croke for the finals?

Surely they will at least consider letting the families of the players in to watch the final.

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2020, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 29, 2020, 06:02:24 PM
In reality it's Galway who are at more risk of falling away

Plenty of miles on the clock for a good few key players

I think they definitely are a team on the slide.

Limerick will be there or thereabouts for a good while.
To be fair Galway will always be there or thereabouts going forward considering the consistent stream of talent coming through.
They won't always win it obviously (and have only won once in 32 years as I know only too well) but I think more than any other team they will be there or thereabouts due to the academy that's there nowadays.

Capt Pat

Quote from: didlyi on November 29, 2020, 06:37:17 PM

Surely they will at least consider letting the families of the players in to watch the final.

Surely considering the size of the stadium they could let in a couple of thousand from each county safely.

Capt Pat

Quote from: galwayman on November 29, 2020, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2020, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 29, 2020, 06:02:24 PM
In reality it's Galway who are at more risk of falling away

Plenty of miles on the clock for a good few key players

I think they definitely are a team on the slide.

Limerick will be there or thereabouts for a good while.
To be fair Galway will always be there or thereabouts going forward considering the consistent stream of talent coming through.
They won't always win it obviously (and have only won once in 32 years as I know only too well) but I think more than any other team they will be there or thereabouts due to the academy that's there nowadays.

I find it hard to beleive that Joe Canning given his talent levels and the talent of those around him only has one all ireland at this stage. He is 32 now. He will still be 32 for next years championship.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 29, 2020, 07:11:19 PM
Quote from: didlyi on November 29, 2020, 06:37:17 PM

Surely considering the size of the stadium they could let in a couple of thousand from each county safely.

If a group is going down then they should be a bubble group, ie two families, or be travelling from one family or taking the train or own cars.

Properly Spaced out over all seating areas within Croke would allow you up to 8,000 surely? With allocated times for entry into ground
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

In all my time watching hurling for as long as I can remember I have never seen anyone score four points from sideline cuts. Joe Canning should be incouraged to make a coaching video on sideline balls. Hard to believe five of Galways scores came from line balls. What skill.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2020, 05:55:44 PM
Limerick won't be back next year? How do you figure that one?
Because the energy levels required to.retain the All Ireland have been beyond them, Tipp and Galway in recent years

It comes down to intensity. Plus next year is 6 months away
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

That was their first in years. Recovering from the first is different from another one. Limerick look to be on the way to becoming dominant.

Apparently it's the first time ever anyone has scored four sidelines in a championship match. Three has been done.

Saffrongael

I thought earlier in the year Limerick were unbeatable but I do think Waterford are as well equipped as anyone to beat them, they are rightly warm favourites though
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2020, 07:42:44 PM
That was their first in years. Recovering from the first is different from another one. Limerick look to be on the way to becoming dominant.

Apparently it's the first time ever anyone has scored four sidelines in a championship match. Three has been done.
Let's see. I think there isn't much between the top teams

seafoid

Another year where the old firm lose out.

Cork are still poor
KK are not good enough
Tipp will probably have to rebuild

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2020, 09:16:38 AM

Cork are still poor
KK are not good enough

A lot of the teams have to rebuild somewhat over the next season or two, Galway included. Waterford are progressing, but still look a little raw and naive at times, and could do with strengthening the squad also. They may not win the AI in a fortnight's time, but the experience they've gained this year will be hugely beneficial going forward. You could say only Limerick appear to be in their prime, but if they lose to the Deise, it could raise doubts in their minds also. Tipp', when Cahill takes them over, will be interesting. A brave person would bet on the 2022 champions right now.

johnnycool

Two interesting semifinals in many ways.

Waterford had a terrible first half, slipping and fumbling their way throughout and you'd have feared for them going in at half time 7 points down. But this Kilkenny team is not anywhere near the Kilkenny of old and have shown they're inability to close out a game against Dublin and even then Galway had hurled them off the park for 60 plus minutes only for the old guard of TJ and Richie Hogan pulling that one out of the fire. With both TJ and Richie now relatively subdued by Waterford they then proceeded to take over, the passes were sticking, the wide count dropped and their direct running straight through the heart of the Kilkenny defence was paying dividends. Gone are the days you would have been taking your life in your hands to attempt to run through a Kilkenny defence. The goals came, the confidence grew and Kilkenny had nothing in response. The introduction of Walter and Colin Fennelly offered very little and the Cats went out with a whimper. A big statement from Waterford, beating one of the big three in an AI semi-final (Only the second time that's happened Cody, the last being in 2005, some record) and they'll fancy having a go at Limerick for the second time in about a month.

Galway started by horsing into Limerick and not allowing them to get their phases in motion and it was working a treat, Limerick had an opponent physically able for them and it was a new challenge to them, Guillane was subdued by Burke, Galway lads were winning high ball against them and we'd a game on our hands.
In fairness to Limerick they stuck to their gameplan and gradually wore Galway down, Cathal Mannion having to go off was a big blow for Galway as he's a big part of the puck out strategy and it went a bit awry when he left the field. Limerick on top but only just, Canning putting dead balls over for fun and all nip and tuck.
Limerick prevailed yet again, bringing on fresh legs which drove them on again, strength in depth is a big part of their gameplan and it worked again.

What of the final? 

Limerick are a formidable outfit always capable of strangling other teams to death by a thousand cuts/points rather than killing teams off like Kilkenny in their pomp who'd rattle off two goals and a few points either side of them putting the game to bed early doors. Limerick by nature of their style don't kill teams off like that and I'd say Liam Cahill will look at the Munster final blue print and think that if Waterford are still a few points out with 10 minutes or so to go they can try to change things up, get a goal by throwing a catcher or two deep in on the Limerick fullback line with Hutchison and Barron hovering around anything is possible.

Waterford have the off the cuff hurlers to spring a surprise but the bookies will be rightly backing Limerick to get a second AI in three years.

didlyi

Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2020, 09:16:38 AM

Cork are still poor
KK are not good enough

Happy Days :)