Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Dublin gaa have made no attempt to put facilities into the city
Grangegorman was probably the only club pitches inside the canals and are they gone now?

mup

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Dublin weren't happy with 4 or 5 provincial titles and an All-Ireland every decade.

They actually failed at growing the game, instead they just activated the middle class burbs. Thing is middle class parents, studies have shown, provide better support, emotionally, mentally and financially to their children. They become invested. It means less kids drop away, stay involved longer, creates better players.

Unintended consequences and certainly not the brilliang planning line that keeps getting thrown out. Would love to see an economist examine their success 

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/inner-city-blues-dublins-battle-canals-352946?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

And once the middle classes got onto committees, everything gets better, business smarts to the fore.

The.middle classes saved Dublin GAA.

Even Jack McCarrfey is bored of it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40187469.html

screenexile

Always had a lot of time for McCaffrey a phenomenal footballer and a decent lad off the field by all accounts I wish him well!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2020, 05:05:45 PM
Always had a lot of time for McCaffrey a phenomenal footballer and a decent lad off the field by all accounts I wish him well!
One of the few non robobit Dublin footballers. Arguably their most talented player and his personality makes him a very likeable chap.

J70

Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 04:51:46 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Dublin weren't happy with 4 or 5 provincial titles and an All-Ireland every decade.

They actually failed at growing the game, instead they just activated the middle class burbs. Thing is middle class parents, studies have shown, provide better support, emotionally, mentally and financially to their children. They become invested. It means less kids drop away, stay involved longer, creates better players.

Unintended consequences and certainly not the brilliang planning line that keeps getting thrown out. Would love to see an economist examine their success 

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/inner-city-blues-dublins-battle-canals-352946?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

And once the middle classes got onto committees, everything gets better, business smarts to the fore.

Must listen to that. Sounds like a good interview.

McCaffrey's profession has got to be a factor too.

I don't know what stage he is at in his career or what his specialty is, but young doctors go through hell qualifying for a few years, and he could still be spending half his time studying and reading to build his knowledge, assuming he's not up to his ears in COVID.

BennyCake

I thought maybe it was the Covid situation and his profession that forced his hand into taking a year out.

dublin7

Sean and Bertie,.

More ignorance regarding the dubs and Jack McCaffrey in particular.

Listen to his podcast with Bernard Brogan and the stress/pressure became too much for him, he wasn't enjoying football anymore and he had to walk away. Doesn't sound like a lad on coming back next year.

Can't be easy dealing with Covid in hospital on a daily basis. Hopefully he does play again as he's a joy to watch football pitch

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 06:30:05 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Listen to his podcast with Bernard Brogan and the stress/pressure became too much for him, he wasn't enjoying football anymore and he had to walk away. Doesn't sound like a lad on coming back next year.

Can't be easy dealing with Covid in hospital on a daily basis. Hopefully he does play again as he's a joy to watch football pitch

You'd want to relax a small bit. It was meant tongue in cheek.

But you continue with the paranoia.  ::)

reillycavan

Sean and Bertie,.

I wouldn't be getting worked up about that person.  Says hasn't been to a game since 2013 but logs into website to have a rant about Dublin. Obviously has a couple personal issues if has a horn for the dubs. What county is that poster from? Back to topic McCaffrey is a credit to his club and county. Best luck in his retirement.

mup

Quote from: reillycavan on December 09, 2020, 07:47:47 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

I wouldn't be getting worked up about that person.  Says hasn't been to a game since 2013 but logs into website to have a rant about Dublin. Obviously has a couple personal issues if has a horn for the dubs. What county is that poster from? Back to topic McCaffrey is a credit to his club and county. Best luck in his retirement.

That person has a name. I haven't been to an intercounty game since 2013. I regularly attend club games. But its kinda nice to have my own stalker.

Still bitter over Seanie? Time to get over it.

reillycavan

Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

That person has a name. I haven't been to an intercounty game since 2013. I regularly attend club games. But its kinda nice to have my own stalker.

Oh your from Kildare.  Bringing Seanie on to kick a 21 free when hammering us.  Just embarrassing. I never forget the abuse we got from minority of Kildare support.  Seanie got a nice lump sum of it.

dublin7

Sean and Bertie,.

Good to know you haven't been to inter county games in the last few years. That way there's no chance I could have been unfortunate and unlucky enough to have met you. If anyone's bitter it's yourself based on your opinion of the dubs and/or McCaffrey

mup

Quote from: reillycavan on December 09, 2020, 08:14:46 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Oh your from Kildare.  Bringing Seanie on to kick a 21 free when hammering us.  Just embarrassing. I never forget the abuse we got from minority of Kildare support.  Seanie got a nice lump sum of it.

Can't disagree with you, it was embarrassing. The whole episode was. It was something I was never comfortable with.

Having said all that my initial post was never intended to be a slight on Jack McCaffrey. I don't know the chap at all.

And no I don't have a horn for the Dubs as you stated. But I'm entitled to voice my opinion on the state of gaelic football at the moment. All brought on by the Gaa themselves. As a member of the association it concerns me greatly.

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 08:25:07 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Good to know you haven't been to inter county games in the last few years. That way there's no chance I could have been unfortunate and unlucky enough to have met you. If anyone's bitter it's yourself based on your opinion of the dubs and/or McCaffrey

Yea I haven't been since 2013 so there is a good chance we never crossed paths. Since you only started following the game around then.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 08:25:07 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Yea I haven't been since 2013 so there is a good chance we never crossed paths. Since you only started following the game around then.

It's a growing trend, not going to Inter-county matches. The GAA had to invent the Super 8 to make up the shortfall in revenue.