The Patronising Dublin Fan Thread

Started by Sidney, August 09, 2014, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2020, 03:30:05 PM
Kilkenny hasn't got 1.4m people and hasnt got 39,000 players.
That wasn't the point made

Kilkenny had multi-generational dominance

This is a fact

sid waddell

Quote from: mup on December 08, 2020, 03:37:58 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 03:15:01 PM
Quote from: mup on December 08, 2020, 02:53:46 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: mup on December 08, 2020, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2020, 12:06:41 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-how-stiff-will-mayo-test-be-for-omnipotent-dublin-1.4429796

Because this is not a once-in-a-generation Dublin team. That illusion has been shattered. From 2011 there were only three starters on Saturday evening and from the 2015 All-Ireland final team, only six starters remain. That gives you a sense of how
How many Kilkenny players started both the 2000 and 2009 All-Ireland hurling finals?

Google it. But your point is meaningless.

Kilkenny don't go banging on about a once in a lifetime team. Dubs do.
If it's meaningless as regards Kilkenny, it's meaningless as regards Dublin

You just ignored the second part of my post. You dubs keep saying this is a once in a lifetime team and we should enjoy them. It's not a once in a lifetime team. That's why the Kilkenny analogy is meaningless. No Kilkenny person made that argument at the time.

As a matter of interest why didn't you pick the Kerry teams of 1978 and 1986?

The point was made that this is not a generational Dublin team and that this is different to anything to went before in the GAA

But it isn't different, because Kilkenny did the same thing - they had two players who started both the 2000 and 2009 finals

So the point is wrong

And no bleating or attempt to change the subject will change that

The point is wrong

I'm probably wasting my time here but sure I'll try to help you understand.

The sane amongst us have argued that Gaa money has aided Dublin during their current purple patch. Dubs have argued that it is a once in a generation side. It's not a once in a generation side. Nor was the Kilkenny one you mentioned.

HOWEVER Kilkenny did not receive millions to help them during this time. So it is different.
You're still not getting it

Dublin's dominance is far from unique in history

There's no evidence that Dublin's dominance will be any different to Kilkenny's from 2000 to 2015

Dublin's training facilities are in fact quite rudimentary compared to other counties, Dublin players have to work, Dublin players do not get paid, they are totally amateur athletes

Funding does not make you work harder, it does not make you fitter, it does not improve your weaker foot, and the simple fact is Dublin's players work far harder than players in all but a small handful of counties

Winners worry about winning, losers worry about winners

blasmere

Why are you in favour Sid of a fairer society but not on a football pitch
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Maroon Manc

Look lads there's no need to worry until the Dubs are on to their 4th 'once in a lifetime team'.

sid waddell

Quote from: blasmere on December 08, 2020, 03:52:15 PM
It seems to me that I'm literally the only person on this board putting forward actual, workable ideas to reduce Dublin's inherent advantages

Start by revamping the league - every year Dublin face all the top teams in the country in the league, and every year this reinforces their advantage, and the advantage of the other Division 1 regulars

Scrap the Super 8s - this reinforces Dublin's advantage

Cut the amount of substitutes back to three - six substitutes reinforces Dublin's advantage

Play club championship during the summer, during the championship - this cuts down on the influence of county managers

Have a central sponsorship fund, say 50% of each county sponsorship goes into a central fund to be redistributed equally per county

Put Dublin on the road more, only give them three home league matches each year out of seven, make them play the preliminary round in Leinster, make them play in actual away venues, and no championship games in Croke Park until the Leinster final

But counties also have to start helping themselves - and at the moment, the vast majority aren't

You should probably be asking Colm O'Rourke why he engages in a series of bullshit bad faith arguments to try and split Dublin, while as regards society at large he's a picket-passing, union busting, Covid denying, right wing ideologue

With O'Rourke it always comes back to one thing - he hates Dublin, and that's the sum of it

mup

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 03:45:26 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-how-stiff-will-mayo-test-be-for-omnipotent-dublin-1.4429796

Because this is not a once-in-a-generation Dublin team. That illusion has been shattered. From 2011 there were only three starters on Saturday evening and from the 2015 All-Ireland final team, only six starters remain. That gives you a sense of how
How many Kilkenny players started both the 2000 and 2009 All-Ireland hurling finals?

You just ignored the second part of my post. You dubs keep saying this is a once in a lifetime team and we should enjoy them. It's not a once in a lifetime team. That's why the Kilkenny analogy is meaningless. No Kilkenny person made that argument at the time.

The point was made that this is not a generational Dublin team and that this is different to anything to went before in the GAA

But it isn't different, because Kilkenny did the same thing - they had two players who started both the 2000 and 2009 finals

So the point is wrong

The point is wrong

The sane amongst us have argued that Gaa money has aided Dublin during their current purple patch. Dubs have argued that it is a once in a generation side. It's not a once in a generation side. Nor was the Kilkenny one you mentioned.

HOWEVER Kilkenny did not receive millions to help them during this time. So it is different.

There's no evidence that Dublin's dominance will be any different to Kilkenny's from 2000 to 2015

Dublin's training facilities are in fact quite rudimentary compared to other counties, Dublin players have to work, Dublin players do not get paid, they are totally amateur athletes

Funding does not make you work harder, it does not make you fitter, it does not improve your weaker foot, and the simple fact is Dublin's players work far harder than players in all but a small handful of counties

So Dublins dominance has nothing to do with money?

Its because they train harder, work harder and their volunteers volunteer harder. And the fact that they got millions prior to this dominance is merely coincidence.

Sound.  ::)

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 03:38:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2020, 03:30:05 PM
Kilkenny hasn't got 1.4m people and hasnt got 39,000 players.
That wasn't the point made

Kilkenny had multi-generational dominance

This is a fact
Kilkenny did not get 18m
They didn't win 6 out of the first 7 All Irelands either
.Those are facts.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: mup on December 08, 2020, 04:29:56 PM

So the point is wrong

The point is wrong

Its because they train harder, work harder and their volunteers volunteer harder. And the fact that they got millions prior to this dominance is merely coincidence.

Again, you've not addressed the points

You came into the argument because you were supporting a wrong assertion

Now you've moved on to not addressing points

Dublin do work harder, and smarter, than all but a small handful of counties

Do they or do they not?

Of course they do - sure the central premise of the anti-Dublin posters here is that everybody else should just give up

How does that tally with a hard work ethic?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 04:22:52 PM
It seems to me that I'm literally the only person on this board putting forward actual, workable ideas to reduce Dublin's inherent advantages

Start by revamping the league - every year Dublin face all the top teams in the country in the league, and every year this reinforces their advantage, and the advantage of the other Division 1 regulars

Cut the amount of substitutes back to three - six substitutes reinforces Dublin's advantage

Play club championship during the summer, during the championship - this cuts down on the influence of county managers

Have a central sponsorship fund, say 50% of each county sponsorship goes into a central fund to be redistributed equally per county

Put Dublin on the road more, only give them three home league matches each year out of seven, make them play the preliminary round in Leinster, make them play in actual away venues, and no championship games in Croke Park until the Leinster final

But counties also have to start helping themselves - and at the moment, the vast majority aren't

You should probably be asking Colm O'Rourke why he engages in a series of bullshit bad faith arguments to try and split Dublin, while as regards society at large he's a picket-passing, union busting, Covid denying, right wing ideologue

With O'Rourke it always comes back to one thing - he hates Dublin, and that's the sum of it

Don't see any of those changes you've mentioned having much of an affect.

Dublin will continue to produce top players at a greater rate then everyone else through no fault of their own but until something is done about that then the domination will continue.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 08, 2020, 06:13:44 PM

Dublin will continue to produce top players at a greater rate then everyone else through no fault of their own but until something is done about that then the domination will continue.
There's no "fault" involved

Dublin's aim is to produce top players at a greater rate than anybody else

Which is exactly what they should want to do

As should everybody else

Kerry have had that aim for 130 years, and have mostly been successful in that aim

mup

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 04:36:18 PM

So the point is wrong

The point is wrong

Do they or do they not?

Of course they do - sure the central premise of the anti-Dublin posters here is that everybody else should just give up

You think I'm not addressing the point. You refuse to believe that the millions received have nothing to do with Dublins success. I'm actually agreeing with you regarding Kilkenny but there is one big difference. Money. I cant help you if you can't see that

You are saying Dublin work harder. How do you know that? Do you know how hard Cork or Kerry or Donegal work?

sid waddell

Quote from: mup on December 08, 2020, 10:24:45 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 04:36:18 PM

So the point is wrong

The point is wrong

Do they or do they not?

You think I'm not addressing the point. You refuse to believe that the millions received have nothing to do with Dublins success. I'm actually agreeing with you regarding Kilkenny but there is one big difference. Money. I cant help you if you can't see that

You are saying Dublin work harder. How do you know that? Do you know how hard Cork or Kerry or Donegal work?
But "Dublin's millions" mainly goes towards grass roots, not the senior team

Dublin train in fairly spartan locations, Innisfails and St. Clare's - they don't have a centre of excellence

Linking in with colleges is something loads of counties can do

Dublin definitely work harder and smarter than Cork

Kerry and Donegal are able to compete with Dublin when they play them, so they probably work as hard as Dublin, as do Mayo, maybe Tyrone, possibly Monaghan over the last few years

I don't think anybody else does, if they do, they're working less smart

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: heffo on August 10, 2014, 01:38:45 AM
Delete this thread and cop onto yourself.  It's not long ago Dublin supporters would've given their arm off a Leinster title and those days will be here again soon

Good laugh at this from the first page. Wonder did he ever really believe that.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

sid waddell

To be fair you'd have to say this thread cost Dublin the 2014 All-Ireland

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2020, 09:29:27 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 08, 2020, 06:13:44 PM

There's no "fault" involved

Dublin's aim is to produce top players at a greater rate than anybody else

Which is exactly what they should want to do

As should everybody else

Kerry have had that aim for 130 years, and have mostly been successful in that aim
It's a pyramid scheme. Dublin has a bigger population, hence a bigger pyramid.
The easiest thing would be just to devalue the All Ireland until reason returns,
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU