Dublin GAA

Started by mournerambler, July 15, 2007, 11:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

talking about slaps in the mouth reminds me that O'Leary (I think) of Cork was done using video evidence for kicking Paul Galvin.
Galvin got away with starting the incident imo
After he had fallen,  he intentionally (imo) swung back his heel to kick O'Leary - and got him in the shin.
O'Leary retaliated with a now infamous kick at Galvin.

If video evidence was used to convict O'Leary, will the same fate happen to Pauraic Clancy for giving Shane Ryan those rabbit punches in the face.
These punches were not hard (but prob would have been enough to fell half the combined Tyrone and laois teams) and Ryan took then in the manner that his old school (never dive) style dictates.

The question is, as this is 'striking' will Clancy be tried and convicted by video evidence in the same manner as O'Leary?
If not, then it is VERY unfair on the cork player.

his holiness nb

It was the year nineteenaskmebollix  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Hardy on July 17, 2007, 02:42:24 PM
There's no better entertainment than the indignant Dub in full flight.

You're a fair man for indignation yourself, Hardy, when rubbed up the wrong way.

Geraghty is a boll*x  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hardy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2007, 11:02:57 AM

You're a fair man for indignation yourself, Hardy, when rubbed up the wrong way.

I'm highly indignant at such a suggestion!

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 18, 2007, 10:48:29 AM
It was the year nineteenaskmebollix  ;)

Thats what I thought. I think he is mixing them up with Leitrim in 1994

magpie seanie

QuoteThe question is, as this is 'striking' will Clancy be tried and convicted by video evidence in the same manner as O'Leary?

To the best of my recollection the force of the strike is taken into account under the new disciplinary code. I'm not sure if that means you should get a lesser suspension or only get a yellow card for "minimal force".

magpie seanie

QuoteSorry what year was that?

As none of them seem to know I'll answer - it was 2001. We were doing quite nicely up to half time but a disastrous spell just after the break where we conceded two quick goals finished us off.

I'd be quite confident there would be no similar capitulation if we met this year.

QuoteAgain Sligo, what a great team, so good everyone wants to play them in the q/f

Bring them on. We'll take tae with them. If they think we'll be soft then that's step one on the road to being dumped out on their holes. Any team coming through the qualifiers will be good but we'll have a chance.

Gnevin

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 18, 2007, 11:25:24 AM
QuoteThe question is, as this is 'striking' will Clancy be tried and convicted by video evidence in the same manner as O'Leary?

To the best of my recollection the force of the strike is taken into account under the new disciplinary code. I'm not sure if that means you should get a lesser suspension or only get a yellow card for "minimal force".
Awe sure its ok  Shane Ryan is made of steal you cant break him :D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

baoithe

ONeill

A stand alone fixture for all the worst elements in today's Irish society - snorting, puffing, yobbing, gesturing, drinking, pishing......the GAA have finally moved with the times. Stick the Dubs on on a Saturday out of the road - that's when all the other soccer games are played too. If we want to promote our games to a global audience on the Sabbath, make sure the Jackeens aren't on show.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2007, 12:07:26 PM
A stand alone fixture for all the worst elements in today's Irish society - snorting, puffing, yobbing, gesturing, drinking, pishing......the GAA have finally moved with the times. Stick the Dubs on on a Saturday out of the road - that's when all the other soccer games are played too. If we want to promote our games to a global audience on the Sabbath, make sure the Jackeens aren't on show.

Of course instead we could promote diving cheating football and have Tyrone on the Saturday before!!!!!

Guess you don't realise that the football quarter finals are on Saturday for all teams apart from Kerry who have been moved to the Sunday!!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 18, 2007, 11:25:24 AM

yep it is a tough one to call

but as plenty have been sent off for absolutely rubbish punches (ie they missed) then I would think that the thatcher-esque phrase of 'striking is striking is striking' might apply !

otherwise we could also take into account the toughness of the recipient
as in the kick OLeary gave wouldnt have been felt by a hardy hoor like Galvin
Shane ryan didnt realise he was hit
two similar punches would put the entire kildare forward division in ward B in the mater
or
clancy wasnt able to punch any harder than that - so he should be suspended as its the 'thought that counts'!
:D

Hardy

The rule itself covers striking or attempting to strike, so if interpretation of force also comes into it now, it'll get very complicated. If it's an attempted thump, is the CCCCCCCCC to try and interpret how hard he intended to thump?

Jinxy

Sure you can kill a man with a 1-inch punch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

in that case, Clancy should be suspended - the precedent being set by the suspension of OLeary

or was it only because the incident in the kerry v cork game was highlighted by spillane and the sunday game?