HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

Evil Genius

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 30, 2021, 11:07:09 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 30, 2021, 10:41:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 30, 2021, 10:24:41 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 30, 2021, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 30, 2021, 08:48:53 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 30, 2021, 06:39:06 PM
90% of Nationalists are moderate, but only 5% of Unionists.

Such a mindset would be laughable, were it not reflective of the whole problem.

You know, "The Politics of Themmuns", exhibit No.1 'Angelo'  ::)

Nationalism is intrinsically moderate, as all it wants is a normal democratic country.
Unionism is the opposite of moderate, it wants to extend colonialism, when it couldn't win by force in most of the Ireland, it seized part of the country as a sectarian statelet.

Unionist political parties offer no moderation and many people from a PUL background are drifting to Alliance as a consequence.
Ah right, so "Themmuns" it is, then.

Glad we got that sorted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mon_restaurant_bombing

I said that nationalism was intrinsicially moderate, I did not say that all those who purported to be nationalists were moderate. RTÉ have been replaying the Reeling in the Years and I noted La Mon, one of the most disgraceful events in Irish history was in that year.
The difference being that 90%+ of nationalists do not justify La Mon.

If I said something that was not correct, then I'm sure you can refute it. I did not refer to "Themmuns" ,

Yet the large majority of Nationalists in NI vote for the party which is inextricably linked with the organisation which carried out La Mon.

And the Enniskillen bombing.

And the nakedly sectarian massacres at Tullyvallen, Darkley and Kingsmill.

And the abduction, torture, murder and disappearing of Jean McConville.

And Patsy Gillespie.

And a thousand other atrocities.

None of which justifies or condones one iota the myriad atrocities committed by their (so-called) "Loyalist" counterparts, but come on, surely you haven't forgotten what the IRA and INLA etc did in the name of Nationalism?

I mean, at a time when SF are falling over themselves to be seen "honouring" mass murderers like Bobby Storey?

I guess "moderate" means something different where you come from.
Great. Another Jamie Bryson.
Did the IRA commit multiple atrocities?
Are SF inextricably linked with, and supportive of, the IRA campaign?
Do the majority of Nationalists vote SF?

You don't need to be Jamie Bryson to ask those questions.

Though maybe you do need his mindset when required to answer them i.e. play the man instead of the ball.

Unless, of course, you're talking about a different Jamie Bryson from the one who got a massive 167 votes in the last election he fought in his own Bangor West backyard? (Equates to 2% of the vote, btw)

Listen, I'm not speaking for the majority of Unionists who vote for the DUP, nor do I condone those who do - I'm proud to say I've never given that mob so much as a 9th preference vote.

But just look at this picture and tell me that one side votes for extremists, while the other votes for moderates:

Them tell me which is which... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

If I said something that was not correct, then I'm sure you can refute it. I did not refer to "Themmuns" ,

Yet the large majority of Nationalists in NI vote for the party which is inextricably linked with the organisation which carried out La Mon.

A majority of nationalists only supported that party after they changed course from those things.
Unionism hasn't changed course since Cromwell and regard not changing course as a strength.
I can easily find a quote from a nationalist condemning La Mon, even likely from SF. Where is the Unionist that has condemned the Plantation of Ulster?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

More green and orange politics. Doomed

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

The bigotry of Evil Genius simmering here.

Of course the IRA did bad things, that's what happens in a conflict but the sectarian foundations of the orange state in the north and the unwillingness of the British and Free State governments to do anything on it is what caused the Provisional IRA to form.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 30, 2021, 11:32:06 PM

Nationalism is intrinsically moderate, as all it wants is a normal democratic country.
Unionism is the opposite of moderate, it wants to extend colonialism, when it couldn't win by force in most of the Ireland, it seized part of the country as a sectarian statelet.

Unionist political parties offer no moderation and many people from a PUL background are drifting to Alliance as a consequence.

Glad we got that sorted.

I said that nationalism was intrinsicially moderate, I did not say that all those who purported to be nationalists were moderate. RTÉ have been replaying the Reeling in the Years and I noted La Mon, one of the most disgraceful events in Irish history was in that year.

And Patsy Gillespie.

None of which justifies or condones one iota the myriad atrocities committed by their (so-called) "Loyalist" counterparts, but come on, surely you haven't forgotten what the IRA and INLA etc did in the name of Nationalism?

I mean, at a time when SF are falling over themselves to be seen "honouring" mass murderers like Bobby Storey?

Though maybe you do need his mindset when required to answer them i.e. play the man instead of the ball.

Unless, of course, you're talking about a different Jamie Bryson from the one who got a massive 167 votes in the last election he fought in his own Bangor West backyard? (Equates to 2% of the vote, btw)

Listen, I'm not speaking for the majority of Unionists who vote for the DUP, nor do I condone those who do - I'm proud to say I've never given that mob so much as a 9th preference vote.

But just look at this picture and tell me that one side votes for extremists, while the other votes for moderates:

Unionists brought the Gun into Irish Politics. I despise violence, but Unionists are not innocent in all of this and even today many Unionists hint at a return to violence. Very similar tactics to what Trump was at. The Unionist community needs to wake up.

ThroughTheLaces

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Bobby Storey convicted of mass murder?
The apple never falls far from the tree.

trailer

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 31, 2021, 11:01:05 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on March 31, 2021, 11:07:41 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?
Was Churchill? Was Mick Collins?

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2021, 11:17:33 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?

Exactly. If a conviction in a court is what it takes then that's a pretty unrealistic bar.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: trailer on March 31, 2021, 11:30:17 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?

Exactly. If a conviction in a court is what it takes then that's a pretty unrealistic bar.

It was a simple question...answered by questions. Nice one.

I don't normally go around calling someone a mass murderer as a matter of fact without having anything to base it on. But that's just me.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2021, 12:37:46 AM
More green and orange politics. Doomed

Well you half right, orange politics is indeed doomed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 31, 2021, 11:52:09 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?

I don't normally go around calling someone a mass murderer as a matter of fact without having anything to base it on. But that's just me.

Trailer doesn't really do discussion or engagement.

Mud slinging is his only known code of interaction.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

michaelg

Quote from: trailer on March 31, 2021, 10:53:58 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Unionists brought the Gun into Irish Politics. I despise violence, but Unionists are not innocent in all of this and even today many Unionists hint at a return to violence. Very similar tactics to what Trump was at. The Unionist community needs to wake up.
Nobody was saying that they were.  The point being discussed was the assertion that Nationalists were intrisically moderate, despite the fairly obvious point that most vote for a party intrically linked to terrorisrt activity and atrocities.

trailer

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 31, 2021, 11:52:09 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Was Stalin?

Well now Bobby did serve a significant prison sentence. And all the intelligence available points to him being a significant player in the IRA. He also had a very typical Republican/IRA send off.
Weird hill to choose to die on.

trailer

Quote from: michaelg on March 31, 2021, 11:57:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 31, 2021, 10:53:58 AM

Glad we got that sorted.

And Patsy Gillespie.

Nobody was saying that they were.  The point being discussed was the assertion that Nationalists were intrisically moderate, despite the fairly obvious point that most vote for a party intrically linked to terrorisrt activity and atrocities.

Lots of Nationalists are moderate. A huge amount were comfortable the GFA. There was no chat of a border poll and I would say I had an aspiration for a UI but no desire to push for it. The actions of "moderate" Unionists. Brexit, the disdain in which the Irish language was treated, how Irishness in general was viewed changed the game. Nationalists even moderate ones began to see that The DUP and others had no notion of accommodating ordinary Nationalists in a post conflict NI. The DUP and their voters will have to take responsibility for their actions. Chickens are coming home to roost and moderate Nationalism wants a more balanced and fairer society. At this stage that doesn't look achievable in NI.