HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

bennydorano

Quote from: Angelo on March 29, 2021, 03:57:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2021, 03:26:42 PM
The middle ground tends to be interested in facts. Things like standard of living and likely chaos.
And demographics don't change overnight.

Moderate unionism represents about 5% of unionism.

You simply have no idea what you are dealing with.

I agree, plus take the cultural aspect out of the UI debate and you're left with the economics of the situation, in a few recent twitter skirmishes I've read people of (I assume) a Unionist background when faced with how the ROI is performing economically weren't long throwing up counterpoints: The ROI debt clock; the fact that just last week the ROI paid back the last installment of the UK funded bailout loan; health service v NHS / Vaccine performance.

Unionism isn't and won't be wowed by superior ROI economic performance - when they can still claim to be part of the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world, eventho NI contributes very very little to it.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: bennydorano on March 29, 2021, 04:10:13 PM
The middle ground tends to be interested in facts. Things like standard of living and likely chaos.

I agree, plus take the cultural aspect out of the UI debate and you're left with the economics of the situation, in a few recent twitter skirmishes I've read people of (I assume) a Unionist background when faced with how the ROI is performing economically weren't long throwing up counterpoints: The ROI debt clock; the fact that just last week the ROI paid back the last installment of the UK funded bailout loan; health service v NHS / Vaccine performance.

Unionism isn't and won't be wowed by superior ROI economic performance - when they can still claim to be part of the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world, eventho NI contributes very very little to it.

Just as a point of order, they tried to repay this earlier but it was declined by the British government.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

sid waddell

So, f**k all point in a border poll then

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 29, 2021, 04:22:44 PM

Just as a point of order, they tried to repay this earlier but it was declined by the British government.

Also, the NHS and free healthcare one bugs the absolute shite out of me. For those of us who work and pay National Insurance, it is not free. Free at the point of consumption but we still pay for it whether you use it or not.

pbat

UK will privatise large chunks of the NHS within the next 10 years.

Rossfan

At 6% interest I'm not surprised they didn't want it back early.

Good to see them talking about economics because that will be the decider whenever the Referendum is run.

On the Health front 323,174 people waiting for an outpatient appt in the 6 on 31/12/20. C.700k in the 26.
I suspect ours would be higher but for over 40% of the population having private health insurance.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

This made me laugh

"Most people accept the DUP/UUP/TUV cannot be engaged with on this, their political leaders are not willing to entertain discussion. These parties play up to the gallery of the voters of rabid unionism and sectarianism, that's what they are about. They got 42.5% of the vote last time out. But it's a dwindling vote in terms of demographics."

A united Ireland is going to take a lot of work. There is no point in a deadline until the work is done.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Angelo

I think you are showing plenty of ignorance here. Asking to engage with people are not willing to engage and never will be shows how little experience you have with unionism.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 29, 2021, 04:37:15 PM

Also, the NHS and free healthcare one bugs the absolute shite out of me. For those of us who work and pay National Insurance, it is not free. Free at the point of consumption but we still pay for it whether you use it or not.

That indeed is another painful one to have to endure. It seems for a lot of unionists and loyalists their argument against a UI is "Yeah but you have to pay €50 to see the doctor'.

They don't seem to grasp how the NHS works.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2021, 05:05:56 PM

At 6% interest I'm not surprised they didn't want it back early.

Good to see them talking about economics because that will be the decider whenever the Referendum is run.

On the Health front 323,174 people waiting for an outpatient appt in the 6 on 31/12/20. C.700k in the 26.
I suspect ours would be higher but for over 40% of the population having private health insurance.

Absolutely, from an economic point of view of course they'd want to see out the full term.

And on that note you are correct. You will have people on both sides who's views and vote will never be changed. The middle ground will be the deciding factor in this, and the back pocket will be the deciding factor in that.

michaelg

Do you know many unionist people yourself?  Also, what are you basing your 5% figure on?

Angelo

Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2021, 06:04:23 PM

Do you know many unionist people yourself?  Also, what are you basing your 5% figure on?

The fact that unionists vote en masse for the unashamed sectarianism of TUV/DUP/UUP.

Look at the triumphalism of unionist politics with the Pat Finucane case lately.

To say mainstream Unionist politics is from the gutter is the truth and that type of politics is what Unionists vote for.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

michaelg

Quote from: Angelo on March 29, 2021, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2021, 06:04:23 PM

The fact that unionists vote en masse for the unashamed sectarianism of TUV/DUP/UUP.

Look at the triumphalism of unionist politics with the Pat Finucane case lately.

To say mainstream Unionist politics is from the gutter is the truth and that type of politics is what Unionists vote for.
TUV vote is negligible and not sure that UUP can be tarred with same brush.  Still not sure where you get your 5% figure from.

seafoid

Quote from: Angelo on March 29, 2021, 05:50:50 PM
I think you are showing plenty of ignorance here. Asking to engage with people are not willing to engage and never will be shows how little experience you have with unionism.

"And never will " is bullshit.
It will take work to make it work.
Unless you want the 6 counties to remain as a polarised kip.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2021, 06:27:36 PM

Unless you want the 6 counties to remain as a polarised kip.
;D Say what you mean there Seafoid