Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Was given very short shrift by Claire Byrne tonight but it's fairly obvious Brolly was never going to dance around the subject and would be shooting straight from the hip so it begs the question well why ask him into the show in the first instance.

If he didn't have a vendetta against RTE before tonight well I think it will be ramped up again further now. Joe will at least get a bit of publicity and a few columns out of it anyway. I just knew when I seen him down to be in the programme that somehow he'd end up being the story.

caprea

Would Ulster unionists know who Joe Brolly is?

lurganblue

Quote from: yellowcard on March 23, 2021, 07:21:21 AM
Was given very short shrift by Claire Byrne tonight but it's fairly obvious Brolly was never going to dance around the subject and would be shooting straight from the hip so it begs the question well why ask him into the show in the first instance.

If he didn't have a vendetta against RTE before tonight well I think it will be ramped up again further now. Joe will at least get a bit of publicity and a few columns out of it anyway. I just knew when I seen him down to be in the programme that somehow he'd end up being the story.

I've never watched this show but stuck it on RTE player there to see what had happened.  Is yer woman always like that or did she just take a disliking to oul Joe? Joe will get some mileage of this...

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I didnt see it either but why would you bring Joe Brolly on to state the obvious about unionism and drag it down into a slagging match. Was it not about Irish Unity? Sure we all know unionisms views on other subjects and Joes outbursts just detract from the real subject on hand. Its all about Joe.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 23, 2021, 12:26:36 PM
I didnt see it either but why would you bring Joe Brolly on to state the obvious about unionism and drag it down into a slagging match. Was it not about Irish Unity? Sure we all know unionisms views on other subjects and Joes outbursts just detract from the real subject on hand. Its all about Joe.
I'd say the producers had warned Claire that wur Joe was a bit of a loose cannon and she was primed for him.

Whilst what Joe said is right and may be news to a southern audience you don't play them at their own game.

Be better than that.

imtommygunn

Has anyone read Paul Higgins's tweet to him. It's absolutely hilarious lol.

https://twitter.com/PaulHig09978621/status/1374314317080895488

Taylor

Quote from: caprea on March 23, 2021, 10:48:17 AM
Would Ulster unionists know who Joe Brolly is?

From the Unionists I speak to they would have heard of him but know very little about him or his personality.

And if they watched it last night they would think he is our version of wee Seamy (rightly or wrongly)

ThroughTheLaces

'...I'm going to comment anyway.'

He was responding to questions asked about Gregory Campbell.  It was about Gregory Campbell showing nothing but contempt for those speaking, reeking of arrogance, laughing in their faces. Joe was responding to that. To put context around Gregory's character, which he was 100% right to do. Unfortunately he only got so far. Every accusation he made about Gregory could not be counter argued. Gregory is a bigot; he is a homophobe; and he is a racist.

But it's all about Joe I suppose.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

tiempo

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 23, 2021, 02:00:21 PM

'...I'm going to comment anyway.'

He was responding to questions asked about Gregory Campbell.  It was about Gregory Campbell showing nothing but contempt for those speaking, reeking of arrogance, laughing in their faces. Joe was responding to that. To put context around Gregory's character, which he was 100% right to do. Unfortunately he only got so far. Every accusation he made about Gregory could not be counter argued. Gregory is a bigot; he is a homophobe; and he is a racist.

But it's all about Joe I suppose.

There was a quare clip going around years ago from one of those side of a wagon "show of strength" fandangos, Unionist politician takes the stage, quips that he had taken umbrage at being called a sectarian bigot, reads the definition of sectarian and bigot out of a dictionary and follows it up with the immortal lines "and if thats what a sectarian bigot is, then i am a sectarian bigot!" without one ounce of remorse or irony, the pure pride gushing out of him, and of course the roar of approval from those in attendance...

Surely after his latest songs of praise racism defence it must have been Gregory on the side of the wagon that day?

Anyone remember the clip or better still able to find it online? It was a belter.

Jim Bob

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 23, 2021, 12:42:35 PM

Who is Paul Higgins ?

thebar

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 23, 2021, 10:47:31 PM

Who is Paul Higgins ?
Now now Jim that man has a couple of All Ireland medals in his back pocket!

Downtothewire

Quote from: thebar on March 23, 2021, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 23, 2021, 10:47:31 PM

Who is Paul Higgins ?
Now now Jim that man has a couple of All Ireland medals in his back pocket!

One more than Joe

imtommygunn

He would have marked joe a lot back in his hayday. Marked him in that famous game in Celtic park.

RedHand88

RedHand88

Can't see him making a return to the Sunday Game anytime soon!