Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 12, 2021, 12:04:27 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 12, 2021, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on March 12, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 12, 2021, 10:00:40 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 11, 2021, 10:22:32 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on March 11, 2021, 10:13:56 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 11, 2021, 06:58:07 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2021, 10:07:05 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 10, 2021, 04:58:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2021, 04:54:48 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40241705.html

Leo is making a bit of a dick out of himself recently.

The more you see the less likeable he is. What's that saying - if he was a lollipop he'd eat himself? Comes across very ego centric all about me.

(I know most politicians are but he is definitely up there...)

Undoubted tube at times, but let's be honest must be very very few protestants on island supporting SF. And I think it's becoming more widely accepted now that SF can't be leaders on unity push if we are to convince unionists. I'm telling you most Shinners( and others) sectarianise about protestants every single day. It's often cloaked in poor tasting humour. I can pretty much guarantee that most northern nationalists have  been involved in a conversation over the last week where something bad was said about protestants.

Would love to know the research you've done into this. This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted on here, and that's saying something. Is it a pisstake?

No and I can see I have hit a nerve here. Wrong thread probably for it. Btw you are a newbie

Ah the old 'I hit a nerve'. No, you haven't hit a nerve. I'm calling out an absurd statement, which I presume you are unable to backup, given its absurdity.

Lets recap:

Most Shinners sectarianise about Protestants every single day

If you can't see how ridiculous that is then that's your problem not mine.

Also, if you'd bothered to check I've been registered on this board for the last 10 years on this name, and further back on a previous name.

You forgot - he doesn't just accuse shinners of being sectarian. He also claimed that most nationalists are bigots (he claimed most sectarianise about Protestants at least once every week). You really do have to wonder what sort of circles he moves in.

That's a good point, if I was hearing that kind of talk on a daily and weekly basis I'd have to start questioning the type of people I'm surrounding myself with.

FWIW I have no problem with anyone taking a pop at SF or any other party, but the absurdity of that statement made me have to re-read it a couple of times to make sure it was right.

The to claim all nationalists were bigots, pretty impressive.

I do wonder what kind of thoughts go on in a head like that.

Thank God you aren't my shrink, ye wouldnt make much money, what an awful thing to suggest about someone.

sectarian-the existence, within a locality, of two or more divided and actively competing communal identities, resulting in a strong sense of dualism which unremittingly transcends commonality, and is both culturally and physically manifest.'[1]

We live in a sectarian society and in the most part we as nationalists help facilitate it(based on the above definition) through our living, social, spiritual, educational and sporting choices and affiliations. It can not be denied, it fills our news EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Now bigot that is a whole other ballgame

What is it that I suggested? Intrigued by that one.

Live in a sectarian society, OK. Fills our news, Ok. I'm still trying to rationalise your comment that 'Most Shinners sectarianise about Protestants every single day'. What exactly is that based on?

You suggested that there was something wrong with my head, come on man up to it and don't back down. I could probably take out thee every single day bit but the rest of the sentence is entirely accurate in my experience.

Can you point out where I said there was something wrong with your head? It seems like you're just making things up, again.

You've gone from 'most Shinners every single day' to 'i could take that part out' and '...in my experience'. You've also gone from 'Protestants' to 'prods/unionists' (Ironically many Protestants find being called a prod quite insulting).

See how its slowly but surely changing? You were adamant you were completely correct and justified in what you were saying, and now you're reeling it back in because you realise how idiotic and absurd it was. And you expect us to take the rest of what you say with any sort of credibility?
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on March 12, 2021, 01:38:22 PM
Saying we live in a society which is divided in terms of traditions/culture/sport/education etc is one thing - but that's a far cry away from justifying your specific claim that you could "guarantee that most northern nationalists have been involved in a conversation over the last week where something bad was said about protestants."

As I've stated already, I live in a very deeply republican community and I can say, hand on heart, that I don't know one single person in it who speaks disparagingly about Protestants. If you're not on the wind up and you actually do think most nationalists do so (and on at least a weekly basis), then you really do need your head examined.

;) We believe you. But the data doesn't add up, I mean simply you are rewriting history there. Wise up, this republican idyll you live in does not exist, how can you live in a republican community which was at war with unionism and britain for 25 years and which elects a party who wants to remove the very raison d'etre for unionism and then say you never hear anything bad said about protestants or what they represent. This is our problem here, we cant see the boil on the end of our noses.

Came off a whattsapp group there this week, mainly because the celtic fans on it(majority of lads) were unbearable with their hateful memes after rangers win(bet you got one ;)). Sick and immature.

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 03:49:41 PM
Saying we live in a society which is divided in terms of traditions/culture/sport/education etc is one thing - but that's a far cry away from justifying your specific claim that you could "guarantee that most northern nationalists have been involved in a conversation over the last week where something bad was said about protestants."

As I've stated already, I live in a very deeply republican community and I can say, hand on heart, that I don't know one single person in it who speaks disparagingly about Protestants. If you're not on the wind up and you actually do think most nationalists do so (and on at least a weekly basis), then you really do need your head examined.

;) We believe you. But the data doesn't add up, I mean simply you are rewriting history there. Wise up, this republican idyll you live in does not exist, how can you live in a republican community which was at war with unionism and britain for 25 years and which elects a party who wants to remove the very raison d'etre for unionism and then say you never hear anything bad said about protestants or what they represent. This is our problem here, we cant see the boil on the end of our noses.

Came off a whattsapp group there this week, mainly because the celtic fans on it(majority of lads) were unbearable with their hateful memes after rangers win. Sick and immature.

I think the problem is that the boil on the end of your nose has got so big that you can't see past it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on March 12, 2021, 03:51:41 PM

Came off a whattsapp group there this week, mainly because the celtic fans on it(majority of lads) were unbearable with their hateful memes after rangers win. Sick and immature.

I think the problem is that the boil on the end of your nose has got so big that you can't see past it.

;D Boom. I like that

Snapchap

Came off a whattsapp group there this week, mainly because the celtic fans on it(majority of lads) were unbearable with their hateful memes after rangers win(bet you got one ;)). Sick and immature.

I can say it because it is 100% the case. I have heard many's a thing said about unionism/loyalism, but I say again, I don't know one person in what is a strongly republican area, who speaks in a derogatory fashion (let alone does so on at least a weekly basis), about people because they are Protestant.

What you are doing is conflating the notions of the political and the religious. What I don't know is whether that is down to stupidity or down to a deliberate, desperate effort to justify your ludicrous claim (a claim that has been roundly and unanimously laughed at in the replies since).

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on March 12, 2021, 04:06:02 PM

I can say it because it is 100% the case. I have heard many's a thing said about unionism/loyalism, but I say again, I don't know one person in what is a strongly republican area, who speaks in a derogatory fashion (let alone does so on at least a weekly basis), about people because they are Protestant.

What you are doing is conflating the notions of the political and the religious. What I don't know is whether that is down to stupidity or down to a deliberate, desperate effort to justify your ludicrous claim (a claim that has been roundly and unanimously laughed at in the replies since).

I  definitely was  not stupid last time I checked

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 04:36:39 PM

It must be the latter then

Snapchap

Quote from: Franko on March 12, 2021, 05:05:23 PM

lol My thoughts exactly

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Nope. I'm right. Not too bothered what any of yous boys think, anyhow I think foster met taoiseach without any issues there recently.

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 06:33:48 PM

Nope. I'm right. Not too bothered what any of yous boys think, anyhow I think foster met taoiseach without any issues there recently.

Lol.  Whatever helps you sleep.

Myself and most others on here (who don't hang around/work/live with neanderthals) will continue to consider what you've said a load of shite.

Milltown Row2

It's bizarre, I understand if working in an environment like the shipyard/Shortts like I did, I expected that and in fairness the reality wasn't as bad as what outsiders thought.

But in every other working environment I've been in after that it's been nothing but friendly, good banter with proper slagging and no one taking things thick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 12, 2021, 09:39:22 PM
It's bizarre, I understand if working in an environment like the shipyard/Shortts like I did, I expected that and in fairness the reality wasn't as bad as what outsiders thought.

But in every other working environment I've been in after that it's been nothing but friendly, good banter with proper slagging and no one taking things thick

I know don't forget I work almost entirely with Catholics, so people are free to say what they really think most of the time 😜

6th sam

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2021, 10:30:34 PM

I know don't forget I work almost entirely with Catholics, so people are free to say what they really think most of the time 😜

I haven't heard a derogatory word agsinst Protestantism, ever. Plenty of animosity toward supremacist loyalism though. Sectarianism against Protestants is ridiculed where I come from and would get no traction at all. Antagonism towards  anti-Irish bigotry remains strong , and rightly so.

michaelg

Aye - A bit of harmless anti protestant / unionist / loyalist slagging - Sure, it's all a bit of craic sure, and it's not remotely sectarian or bigoted in any way!
PS - I appreciate you have previously addressed the elephant in the room yourself, but your last post is quite telling and backs up your original point quite nicely

Snapchap

Quote from: michaelg on March 13, 2021, 01:37:07 AM

Aye - A bit of harmless anti protestant / unionist / loyalist slagging - Sure, it's all a bit of craic sure, and it's not remotely sectarian or bigoted in any way!
PS - I appreciate you have previously addressed the elephant in the room yourself, but your last post is quite telling and backs up your original point quite nicely

The attitudes of 6 or 7 people he works with now represent the entire nationalist population? Unless that's what you're seriously suggesting, then no, he has not backed up in the slightest way his claim that most nationalists speak in a sectarian manner about protestants on at last a weekly basis.

That claim is utter nonsense and has, quite rightly, been roundly dismissed as such.

You're on a discussion board populated by more than just 6 or 7 people, and they are from a wider geographical area than one office/workplace. The contributors to it are overwhelmingly nationalist and mostly from the six counties. Added to that the anonymity aspect and one would suspect people would say things here that they would be more careful about saying in the real world. So if the "vast majority" of nationalists make derogatory comments on people because of their Protestant religion on "at least" a weekly basis, as FBnaS claims, you could be forgiven for thinking it would be even more prevalent on here. How many posters here have made sectarian comments about Protestants in the last week? Would you say the "vast majority" have? And before you start trying to muddy the waters as FBnaS has; his claim was specifically about Protestantism, not political unionism. Criticism of the legitimate political position of unionism is not sectatian.