Former Arts Minister Séamus Brennan dies

Started by GaillimhIarthair, July 09, 2008, 08:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

The former Fianna Fáil Minister, Séamus Brennan, died in the early hours of this morning at his home in Churchtown in Dublin.

He was 60, and had been unwell for some time.

Séamus Brennan was appointed Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism on 14 June 2007 but after the resignation of Bertie Ahern he stepped down from the Cabinet.

He had been on the Fianna Fáil front bench, whether in Government or in Opposition, continuously since 1987.

A former General Secretary of Fianna Fáil (1973-1980), he was first elected to the Dáil in 1981.

Born in Galway, he made his home in Dublin from the early 1970s, and represented Dublin South from the time the constituency was created.

Tankie

Grand Slam Saturday!

T Fearon

Sad news. Surprised he was only 60, as he seemed to be around for ever. Once saw him at the Berkley Court Hotel, think it was the day of the Czech Republic game just before USA 94 and didn't seem to be trying to hog the limelight like a lot of other politicians who were also there

Bogball XV

A decent politician who unlike many of them didn't seem to be in it for himself.  He tried to introduce many new initiatives and thought outside the box and unlike Ahern and his minions he wasn't confined by what the media thought about him.
I knew he was sick but had heard that he was in remission. 

Gnevin

Very sad , thought he done a great job in transport a few years back
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stephenite

magpie seanie

Thought he was fairly decent and honest and hardworking. One of the few who seemed to actually remember that he was serving the people and not his own interests. Got a shock when I heard the news as didn't realise he was ill. RIP.

magickingdom

very sad to hear that, always struck me as decent and very able politician, certainly left the place better than he found it. RIP

ziggysego

Didn't even know he was ill.

Rest in Peace Séamus.
Testing Accessibility

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

dublinfella

RIP.

AZOffaly

RIP Seamus Brennan, one of the decent ones.

liihb

Great quote about him this morning on the radio. When the Greens were joining the government last year he said something to this effect
"Ye're not playing junior hurling any more lads, you're playing senior now, but don't worry, you're playing with lads with All Ireland medals!"

RIP
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.