Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckquay

Didn't see any of the game tonight but that's worrying if we were miles behind physically given all the resources that have been put into this aspect of the game in recent years.
As for tomorrow, we're no hopers if there is any truth in some of the rumours going around. 
Tyrone are vulnerable though, a fair scattering of very average players throughout.
We should be forcing Morgan to go long every time. Their full back line is very suspect, don't think we have the tools to exploit that however.

Westside

We just had smaller players. A good big man will always beat a good small man. McEvoy showed some good moments, has pace to burn. Thought Eoin McCaffery was good at corner forward. Very elusive and ran at Down every time he got the ball. But we were wiped out at midfield. Caoimhin McGovern made no impact at all.

What's the rumours? Challenge results or injuries or problems with the camp?

RedHand88

Very little expectation in Tyrone today. We're there for the taking. New management haven't had a chance to bed in yet.  I'd have Cavan as slight favourites.

It's there for the taking for ye's!

rodney trotter

Maybe so if it was a Cavan team playing with some confidence. A disastrous defeat to Wicklow with reports that the management wanted to step down afterwards but persuade to stay on.

Tyrone are not great at midfield, maybe one area Cavan might have advantage.  If McShane is not starting,they lack a presence inside.  Rumours that McKenna is out?

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2021, 10:41:12 AM
Maybe so if it was a Cavan team playing with some confidence. A disastrous defeat to Wicklow with reports that the management wanted to step down afterwards but persuade to stay on.

Tyrone are not great at midfield, maybe one area Cavan might have advantage.  If McShane is not starting,they lack a presence inside.  Rumours that McKenna is out?

I didnt hear anything like that but did hear we beat Mayo in a challenge game so can't be all bad. I dont believe for a second management were going to step down after Wicklow, makes no sense when your manager is all about championship. Unfortunately in Cavan there are some people who are like auld women making up shite to have something to talk about.

rodney trotter

I don't think they were making up shite, there was words said after Wicklow. Anyway they can put it behinds them with a good display today

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2021, 12:04:08 PM
I don't think they were making up shite, there was words said after Wicklow. Anyway they can put it behinds them with a good display today

I am sure there were words, I would expect that - I am sure there was serious words. But I am saying that I seriously doubt management were looking to quit and were convinced to stay on if that is the rumour. Not a rumour I heard myself in any case.

Got a ticket to the game anyway, anyone else here making the trip?
Anyone know what is wrong with James Smith, I know he had that dreadful fall against Derry but I heard it was concussion??

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2021, 12:11:49 PM

I am sure there were words, I would expect that - I am sure there was serious words. But I am saying that I seriously doubt management were looking to quit and were convinced to stay on if that is the rumour. Not a rumour I heard myself in any case.

Anyone know what is wrong with James Smith, I know he had that dreadful fall against Derry but I heard it was concussion??

Yeah concussion and still affecting him.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2021, 12:11:49 PM

Because you didn't hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Mickey is back with Mullinalaghta as manager. I don't know if he plans to be with Cavan next year but maybe he'll get a rattle today

Westside

Poor stuff. A lot of passengers in that side. Difficult to identify what the attacking plan was. Players looked lethargic and devoid of any spirit or belief. There are serious questions over Mickey's tenure now.

rodney trotter

Some really poor passing and decision making. Oisin Kiernan is a good player but kicked 3 or 4 bad wides but he wasn't alone. Some basic handling was really poor. The first 20 minutes was good but Tyrone looked like they could go up a gear. McCurry was on fire inside and they couldn't handle him.

Itchy

Having been at the game there's something clearly amiss. One players individual errors cost us 5 scores yet he had to get injured before being subbed.

We have no idea what we are doing in the last 3rd when attacking. We have a gem in Thomas Galligan, sitting at FF and yet seem to have no idea how to get him involved. He might as well have been sitting in the stand.

Our fitness was way off. Barely a player was able to keep the intensity up for 70mins. Given moynagh can start having been abroad for 2 yrs, you'd really need to wonder what were we at training wise over lockdown.

Our forwards were piss poor and I'm not talking about our much spoken about lack of "marquee" forwards, I'm talking about fellas spilling simple marks, losing balls they are 80:20 to win cos their too yellow to go down on the ball. Serious lack of balls, not managers fault, few of them need to look in the mirror.

Tyrone have never been as poor but some shocking wasteful attacks allowed them sneak into a 4 ot lead when we were the better team for 90% of the 1st half, the timing of their goal killed us. Attacking their kick out was a big ploy for us but that failed miserably as Morgan almost always found a ball out.

Very disappointed with the showing but calling for managers head is stupid imo, unless we've a magical proven top level manager waiting to come in. What a drop from the highs of 2020.

rodney trotter

I agree the fitness looks very suspect but they have a full time S/C coach. Cavan are well enough backed compared to some other counties.

I think the highs of 2020 was one big performance against Donegal. who had their eye of the ball in anticapition of Dublin. The Down comeback from 10pts down was impressive, but that was as much as them throwing it away as a great comeback. The league results last year were really poor.  The last Cavan game I was a,t was the Clare game before lockdown last year and that was a shocking display,

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2021, 10:58:56 PM
I agree the fitness looks very suspect but they have a full time S/C coach. Cavan are well enough backed compared to some other counties.

I think the highs of 2020 was one big performance against Donegal. who had their eye of the ball in anticapition of Dublin. The Down comeback from 10pts down was impressive, but that was as much as them throwing it away as a great comeback. The league results last year were really poor.  The last Cavan game I was a,t was the Clare game before lockdown last year and that was a shocking display,

I dont agree with this narrative that 2020 was a fluke or lucky etc. I think it's shameful  to hear our own supporters propagate that line. Last yrs ulster was one of the hardest ever won. Drawn in preliminary round, 4 champ games in 4 weeks (6 games in 6 wks if you count league), 2 div 1 teams bet along the way. That's serious going in my book and it will never be done again.

rodney trotter

I think you're being easily annoyed. It was a great win and was tough in a short period. They were tremendous comebacks but those type of comebacks don't alway happen. The performace against Antim didn't look like Ulster winning materal.

The Donegal performance was excellent and they raised their game big time but hard to stay at that standard.