Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

At least 3 points conceded from turnovers following short puckouts to corner-backs.
Surely it's better to land the puckout as close to opposition goal as possible ?

Joeythelips

Also the keeper took a good few long range frees that were well off target, Laois worked hard but again Dublin seemed to win frees a lot easier. The final scoreline was probably a fair reflection on the game unlike last weeks.

Giovanni

Yes would agree with that. Found this week's performance frustrating. It's obviously a strategy to feed the ball to the corner backs from puck outs and that might be fair enough (Cork did it well last night) but the idea that corner backs seem to be encouraged to run into opposition tacklers is a bit mind boggling to be honest. It's not great to see the same mistakes being repeated from one match to another.

There were too many frees conceded and again the forward play was really poor (not necessarily all the forwards' fault). The use of ling range frees was really poor too and just sucks the life out of the team.

I thought the best for us was Sean Downey and Cha. Paddy Purcell was very good in spots but we have to figure out a way to keep him more involved throughout the game.

SCFC

It's hard to think a team could be more dislikeable than the Dublin football team of the mid noughties (I actually quite like the current Dublin footballers) but by Jesus, that current Dublin hurling team are some mouthy, fist pumping, shower. Roaring after every f***ing turnover like a rugby team. Dicks.

Helix.

Quote from: Giovanni on May 16, 2021, 09:19:09 AM
Yes would agree with that. Found this week's performance frustrating. It's obviously a strategy to feed the ball to the corner backs from puck outs and that might be fair enough (Cork did it well last night) but the idea that corner backs seem to be encouraged to run into opposition tacklers is a bit mind boggling to be honest. It's not great to see the same mistakes being repeated from one match to another.

There were too many frees conceded and again the forward play was really poor (not necessarily all the forwards' fault). The use of ling range frees was really poor too and just sucks the life out of the team.

I thought the best for us was Sean Downey and Cha. Paddy Purcell was very good in spots but we have to figure out a way to keep him more involved throughout the game.

If you give away 14 scores from frees you're going to win nothing. Granted the ref was very trigger happy with whistle at times but turned over stupid ball from over carrying, 1 ball being caught 3 times.
We're lacking aerial ball winners up front with short puck outs as we still have difficulty winning our own ball.
I'm conscious it's new management and lot of players missing but giving 30 scores away with a sweeper  (not even goals conceded). Let PJ Scully go back and try few longer range frees going forward. Worth having some variety on free taking than leaving Rowland to try them.
It was an improvement to last week but hopefully will improve with games.
Still haven't played to anywhere near their potential yet.

blueandwhite1

I thought that we had improved by the most you can realistically expect to improve inside a week. Loads of further improvement possible of course. Especially when bringing the ball out of defence and not conceding stupid frees. Diarmuid Conway played well enough for a young guy being dropped in for his first match. Any news on Lee Cleere?

Personnel wise, the backs look settled and will improve. Fiachra Fennell has made midfield his own alongside Paddy Purcell. Cha and Ciaran Collier had much better games and are adding alot in the half forward line. Aaron Dunphy will find form eventually. Roddy is our best forward by a mile. However, we need two corner forwards that look dangerous from play. Maybe PJ will grow into the role as he has from frees but will need to be far more aggressive attacking the ball. Not sure Ciaran Comerford is a natural corner forward, seems better out the field. Would like to see Mark Hennessey and Stephen Bergin getting more of a run.

ottoman

Looked at Laois/Dublin, Cork/Tipp abd Limerick/Galway at the weekend and what a depressing sight all 3 were! Hurling has absolutely nose dived in that last 2 years, its actually becoming unwatchable in my eyes...

burdizzo

Yes, I was thinking that meself. Terrible to say it, but almost as bad as the football!

Looks like both Ryan Mullaney and Podge Delaney will be out of the half-back line for the next couple of games at least. In fairness to Whelan, he did all right on Sunday (except for nearly letting a Dublin lad through for a goal!), but it's an important line and we haven't an awful lot of cover there.

ottoman

Quote from: burdizzo on May 18, 2021, 11:11:34 AM
Yes, I was thinking that meself. Terrible to say it, but almost as bad as the football!

Looks like both Ryan Mullaney and Podge Delaney will be out of the half-back line for the next couple of games at least. In fairness to Whelan, he did all right on Sunday (except for nearly letting a Dublin lad through for a goal!), but it's an important line and we haven't an awful lot of cover there.

Its been played like football these days, loads of side to side 5 yard hand passes (that barley qualify as hand passes in my eyes) and then find a man in space who is able to launch it over from 100 yards now...absolute no direct ball going inside, the days of the lethal inside men (Kelly, Mullane, Power, Hayes etc) is gone!!

anyway back on topic with Laois...I don't think we can expect much more than what we are getting, the lads are clearly putting in the effort but the injuries are very costly to a team like us!! especially up front, Dunphy and Kavanagh are big losses...

Brandon

burdizzo

Yes, it was crap. Terrible to watch. All the good lads seem to be injured. Or maybe Cheddar is keeping something up his sleeve for the Antrim game? However, I do get the feeling that it's all too sterile, tactical and considered with him, whereas at least Brennan had them with a bit of fire in their bellies. It could be unfair to say it, and the Antrim game will be the real test, but I sincerely hope we're not looking at a double relegation this year.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on May 23, 2021, 09:57:30 PM
Yes, it was crap. Terrible to watch. All the good lads seem to be injured. Or maybe Cheddar is keeping something up his sleeve for the Antrim game? However, I do get the feeling that it's all too sterile, tactical and considered with him, whereas at least Brennan had them with a bit of fire in their bellies. It could be unfair to say it, and the Antrim game will be the real test, but I sincerely hope we're not looking at a double relegation this year.

Even if we were to beat Antrim and finish on the same number of points,we had an inferior points difference

We are facing Westmeath in a relegation final and have been since Antrim bet Clare

burdizzo

Does head to head not trump points difference? Probably irrelevant since they won't beat Antrim if we play like they did today. Not a chance.

blueandwhite1

I didn't think it was all that bad to be honest, given how many are missing.

Positives:
- Roddy King
- Backs worked hard and turned Clare over many times for much of the match. All fell apart in 3rd quarter of the game but much of their scoring was done from out the field which we need to watch. Diarmuid Conway doesn't look out of his depth at inter county and Conor Phelan did well enough at times too.
- At half time we were still in it. Not just on the scoreboard but in general play.
Negatives:
- None of the forwards other than Roddy look like they can score from play. This is a pretty big negative. Urgently need lads back (Cha, Aaron etc.) Noises not good from Cheddar on injuries.
- I'd say we gave away another 1-5 yesterday from overplaying the ball in defence. What is this thing of trying to beat a player one-on-one from the corner back position? It should be the last option. What other county does this successfully? Might be fine if you are playing a division 2 team but not against the Clares, Dublins etc. In general we seem to be over elaborate in moving the ball. I sort of understand it from midfield to set a player in space because we have a total of one forward (Roddy) that can win a ball if it is pucked into him.
- Possession. We win one puckout in 10 from our own or opposition puck outs. Clare created a huge amount of their scoring chances from winning a ball on the ground in the ruck and sending a player into space. We won probably 20% of rucks.

Zooming around

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 24, 2021, 12:50:47 PM
I didn't think it was all that bad to be honest, given how many are missing.

Positives:
- Roddy King
- Backs worked hard and turned Clare over many times for much of the match. All fell apart in 3rd quarter of the game but much of their scoring was done from out the field which we need to watch. Diarmuid Conway doesn't look out of his depth at inter county and Conor Phelan did well enough at times too.
- At half time we were still in it. Not just on the scoreboard but in general play.
Negatives:
- None of the forwards other than Roddy look like they can score from play. This is a pretty big negative. Urgently need lads back (Cha, Aaron etc.) Noises not good from Cheddar on injuries.
- I'd say we gave away another 1-5 yesterday from overplaying the ball in defence. What is this thing of trying to beat a player one-on-one from the corner back position? It should be the last option. What other county does this successfully? Might be fine if you are playing a division 2 team but not against the Clares, Dublins etc. In general we seem to be over elaborate in moving the ball. I sort of understand it from midfield to set a player in space because we have a total of one forward (Roddy) that can win a ball if it is pucked into him.
- Possession. We win one puckout in 10 from our own or opposition puck outs. Clare created a huge amount of their scoring chances from winning a ball on the ground in the ruck and sending a player into space. We won probably 20% of rucks.

I'll add one more of each.

Positive
Sean Downey is blossoming into a very good full back. A bit raw at times but improving no end.

Negative
Our basic skills. I lost count yesterday of the number of times we "almost" rose the ball. Lifting it but not catching it. Fumbling or being knocked off the ball. This sharpness needs to improve.