Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Time to get this thread up & running, can Leitrim cause another shock?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross matt

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

They can but hopefully they wont. Fergie and this particular Ross side are pretty grounded though. And why wouldnt they? Hammered by Longford in the league final and only beat what now looks to have been a very poor NY side. Leitrim always raise their game for us anyway and now they have the confidence of this last win plus its in Carrick.

However Sligo were unlucky and perhaps a little over confident the last day. Leitrim smelled blood and went for it. I think Roscommon will stay focussed and expect a dogged, tough encounter. With Shine... Kilbride...Cregg they have a number of scoring options which I think should see them narrowly through.

Tatler Jack

As in most games now this game will be decided on who wins the battle in the middle third. We are without Casey from last years h/b line and O'Gara from the half forward line – 2 big losses. If we play Cregg out the field we loose a scoring threat nearer the goal and yet I think we need him hoovering up the breaks and breaking forward.

I do not know how good Leitrim are. They obviously played well last Sunday but was that a once off? They did not show great league form but last year we were relegated and won Connacht so hard to draw any conclusions from Div 3 or 4 form – Leitrim may have been focused on the Sligo game all along.

Last years game in the Hyde was a decent enjoyable game that we won after a bit of a first half struggle. I expect this will be a much more intense contest  and Leitrim will be approaching the game in a far better frame of mind. The question then is how much if any have we improved from last year – the return of Kilbride and Devanney are pluses but somewhat offset by the loss of Casey and O'Gara.

This will be a struggle for us and can go either way. And if Leitrim win I won't consider it a shock.

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM
Yes they can / Is féidir leo.
However as Matt said Fergie will keep our lads  grounded and they will know that they can expect a ferocious challenge from our north western neighbours for whom this is their All Ireland.

If we go in with heads wrong there will be only one outcome - a replay in the Hyde  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Familiar fixture for us it's like the 90s all over again where we play Leitrim every year, this will be the first time since 1991 (20 years ago) that we visit Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada as defending Connacht champions & that alone should fire up the laytrum lads even more.

Yes we have a excellent record in Carrick but we got some recent scares there.. 2004 we drew & i still don't know how we beat them in 2003 when Jimmy Nail scored that last minute winner. as regards their league form laytrum could & should have beaten us & longford & that would have meant they would have got promotion instead of the Larries. since the league Moran has switched Conor Beirne to full forward with Croal,Glancy on the wings making it a very potent full forward line.

As already said midfield will be the key & Karl Mannion would want to play better than he did v leitrim a month ago! i hope we can get a win to get to another Connacht final but i wouldn't be surprised if game ends in a draw.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

If i were a rossie i would be concerned about the amount of scores let in at the back even New York scored 1-11 in the last game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

spectator

It's said the league counts for little come championship, but the performance and attitude of the Leitrim players during our recent tie played at The Hyde was impressive. At 0.4 - 0.9 down after 30 minutes, Leitrim produced a blitz either side of HT which saw them outscore us by 0.8 - 0.1 quickly turning a five point deficit into a two point lead. While we managed an opportunist goal to regain the lead, Leitrim came back strongly at us again and finished the game on the attack, looking for a goal which would have brought them a just about deserved away win. That typified Leitrim, they work hard, fight to the bitter end and never settle for anything less than victory. With six scorers at The Hyde that day Leitrim showed they're not short of capable marksmen either. We've been sitting on our hands since the start of the month and will go in cold, while Leitrim are up to championship pitch and are probably buzzing after their impressive away toppling of Sligo. We'll definitely need to avoid a repeat of the last year's slow start and try to ensure the second half workrate of that occasion is present from the opening throw in here. Carrick has always been a tough battleground for us, this year will be no different. Our lads will strive with might and main to defend their title and won't be under any illusions about the battle ahead, while Leitrim admittedly appear to have much more momentum going into this one. The Laythrumite who commandeered the PA system at the end of our last visit to Pairc Sean two years ago - only to get cut off half way through his defiant rendition of Lovely Leitrim - will justifiably fancy his chances of getting a lot more airtime after this latest battle, I reckon.

ross4life

We drew with Westmeath today in a challenge game in Ballyfarnon.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Couldnt make it myself R4Life.
Any idea of the team?

Luckily I have some outdoor activities to attend to now so will be able to avoid TV and the rugby frenzy that seems to be gripping the townies around here. Then luckily I'll be home in time for Down/Armagh on BBC2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Claffey,Carty,Domican,Ormsby Mckeague,I kilbride,keenan,finneran,kenny. Cregg,Shine, O'grady,Rogers, S kilbride D mcdermott. & all these subs came on in second half Miley,Garvey,Mannion,Devaney,Daly,purcell,kelly.

ross4life

Come on guys only 10 until this game & i have to go to page 3 to find this thread.

Ticket info

Ticket Prices:
Seating- €30
Sideline seating- €25
Terrace €20
Children €5 (Under 16)
Group passes available from Connacht GAA office
Students can get refund of €10 on Sideline Seating or Terrace Tickets with valid ID at Ticket kiosk at the venue
OAPs can get refund of €10 on Stand, Sideline seating or Terrace Tickets with valid ID at Ticket kiosk at the venue.

€30 stand tickets means no sell out for this game.

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on May 28, 2011, 10:36:04 PM
Claffey,Carty,Domican,Ormsby Mckeague,I kilbride,keenan,finneran,kenny. Cregg,Shine, O'grady,Rogers, S kilbride D mcdermott. & all these subs came on in second half Miley,Garvey,Mannion,Devaney,Daly,purcell,kelly.

Strong enough lineout Ross.
Did you hear much about the game? I dont really know how good Westmeath are to grade what drawing with them in a challenge means.

ross4life

Quote from: ross matt on June 02, 2011, 05:53:51 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 28, 2011, 10:36:04 PM

Strong enough lineout Ross.
Did you hear much about the game? I dont really know how good Westmeath are to grade what drawing with them in a challenge means.

I'd say they are a level slightly ahead of us but hard to judge challenge games as they are nothing more than a work out, we used 24 players in that game John Rogers injured his hand & Cathal Cregg went off with a hamstring injury on 40mins

I also read we beat Louth in Louth by 4pts on Tuesday night another strong team started Niall Carty played at FB & Domican at CHB. S Kilbride,D Shine got the majority of the scores.

Shrewdness

I heard that Ros beat Louth by 6 points in that challenge at a Louth venue on Tuesday evening, 2-17 to 1-14.

John Rogers is doubtful for the Leitrim game with a hand injury picked up in the Westmeath challenge game.
Cathal Cregg picked up a slight hamstring strain in the same game, but is expected to be fit.

mylestheslasher

No offence to Rod but it would be a great story to see our neighbours in leitrim back in a provincial final. Carrick is a tough venue for the away team and I wonder have Ros the stomach for the battle.