26th anniversary of Bradford City tragedy

Started by Blowitupref, May 11, 2011, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

laoislad

Wow by a strange coincidence I had a fire safety training course yesterday at a place I do some maintenance work in .
The guy doing the training showed us the video of the entire fire at Bradford,I had never seen all of it before.
It was horrific how those poor people died.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 11, 2011, 03:54:33 PM
Wow by a strange coincidence I had a fire safety training course yesterday at a place I do some maintenance work in .
The guy doing the training showed us the video of the entire fire at Bradford,I had never seen all of it before.
It was horrific how those poor people died.
I see that video every year as I'm a fire warden in work and it's still shocking how quickly the stand went up and how many people needlessly lost their lives. When the fire started people continued to mill around the stand instead of getting out!

It shows how far grounds have come on but unfortunately it takes something like Bradford or Hillsborough to drive change.

ross4life

Those poor souls in the top of the stand never stood the chance to get out & i read that chap on fire at the end of the video died from his injuries..shocking tragedy.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on May 11, 2011, 11:00:53 PM
Those poor souls in the top of the stand never stood the chance to get out & i read that chap on fire at the end of the video died from his injuries..shocking tragedy.
There is a strange psychology involved in a state of panic were people attempt to leave somewhere by the way they entered even if they are in danger. Loads died when all they had to do was step over the front wall but they chose to go back up the stand.

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 11, 2011, 07:11:30 PM
Good piece here http://thetim.es/j28hWi

That article is heartbreaking, right down to Daniel Yorath - dropped dead while having a kickabout in the garden with his dad. He was 15. May they all rest in peace

Doogie Browser

Sad sad times, was only a year or so before the Kings Cross fire also. Legislation thankfully means these tragedies are things of the past - hopefully.

Aerlik

Didn't either BBC or ITV go live to the fire?  I can remember watching it on tv and not fully comprehending what was happening.

6 years later I am sitting in my Masters degree with a survivor.  She and her family were in one of the adjacent stands. 

I did a safety course two years ago and we, too, were shown the whole video and had to analyse it, bit by bit.  Yucky.

RIP all the victims.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!