Laochra Gael TG4 (New Series)

Started by an púca, April 14, 2010, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApresMatch

Cheers for that. You may wanna re-read your posts though!!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 21, 2013, 03:35:46 PM
Don't forget Tohill tonight on Laochra Gael TG4 Anthony Tohill
TG4 tonight Thurs 21st Feb 2013 at 8pm and again on Sunday I believe

Anthony Tohill was one of the best players lárpáirce was there in the 90s. Her received great strength score from play and from cheap chiceanna. One All-Ireland medal, two Ulster championship, four National league basis and won four All Star awards. He was a captain and manager of the Irish team who played in common against the Australian Football. Peter Canavan will Tony Scullion and Jarlath Burns also interviewed.

cheap chiceanna - nice one Fuzzman.

theticklemister

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 21, 2013, 03:35:46 PM
Don't forget Tohill tonight on Laochra Gael TG4 Anthony Tohill
TG4 tonight Thurs 21st Feb 2013 at 8pm and again on Sunday I believe

Anthony Tohill was one of the best players lárpáirce was there in the 90s. Her received great strength score from play and from cheap chiceanna. One All-Ireland medal, two Ulster championship, four National league basis and won four All Star awards. He was a captain and manager of the Irish team who played in common against the Australian Football. Peter Canavan will Tony Scullion and Jarlath Burns also interviewed.

Typical Tyrone man trying to sully one of Derry's greats with their terrible spelling and grammar!!

rrhf

Tohill one week, Jody Gormley next week?

theticklemister

Quote from: rrhf on February 21, 2013, 07:15:18 PM
Tohill one week, Jody Gormley next week?

One hero to another..........

5 Sams

One of the few midfielders who would measure up to D Sé, Jacko or Mullins.
The Aristocrat Years

theticklemister

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 22, 2013, 12:59:45 AM

I have not seen the latter two to make a proper judgement; but I can make a good call on O Se. I reckon Tohill was a better midfielder than him. He took a lot more scores than Darragh ,frees and from play; he was a better fielder; a better athlete up and down the field and possessed more overall skill like the NFL Final goal against meath when he tip toes the ball into the net would testify. Maybe O Se headed the 'fear factor' side of things where he could bully the opposition with his strength and the 'Kerry/O Se' factor.

What do the rest of ye think?

rodney trotter

Tohill was a brillant player, destroyed Cavan on plenty of occasions. Nobody could stop him when he was making those strong runs.

theticklemister

Quote from: hardstation on February 22, 2013, 09:59:52 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on February 22, 2013, 08:42:04 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 22, 2013, 12:59:45 AM

I have not seen the latter two to make a proper judgement; but I can make a good call on O Se. I reckon Tohill was a better midfielder than him. He took a lot more scores than Darragh ,frees and from play; he was a better fielder; a better athlete up and down the field and possessed more overall skill like the NFL Final goal against meath when he tip toes the ball into the net would testify. Maybe O Se headed the 'fear factor' side of things where he could bully the opposition with his strength and the 'Kerry/O Se' factor.

What do the rest of ye think?
He was no Sheeny McQuillan.

Ah oul Sheeny. Had one fantastic game against Derry; remind me Hardstation what is your lasting memory from that hot summer's day draw at Casement?

Leaverinlong

Tohill was my childhood hero, so perhaps i'm a little bias, but how in under god could you put Brian Mullins in the same sentence!

I agree strongly with ticklemister, he was a more complete footballer than Dara O'Shea. Big Tokil was just something else!

mouview

Quote from: Leaverinlong on February 22, 2013, 10:14:45 AM
Tohill was my childhood hero, so perhaps i'm a little bias, but how in under god could you put Brian Mullins in the same sentence!

I agree strongly with ticklemister, he was a more complete footballer than Dara O'Shea. Big Tokil was just something else!

Indeed, up there with Kevin Walsh.

screenexile

Quote from: Leaverinlong on February 22, 2013, 10:14:45 AM

Whatever about Mullins' management credentials he was a great player!!

Fuzzman

Quote from: ApresMatch on February 21, 2013, 04:22:10 PM

Oops. Was in a hurry and copied and pasted it straight from the TG4 website.

As a biased Tyrone man who went to school in Derry during the 90's, I probably didn't appreciate how good a player he was. There was tense rivalry between Tyrone & Derry for a number of years in the 90's where they seem to meet nearly every year. its amazing the teams have only ever met once in an Ulster final, back in 1957.

Tohill had a formidable partnership with McGilligan and had Derry got their act together he should have won a few more All Irelands. in that '92 league final Ciaran Corr had a great day at MF for Tyrone but poor Plunkett messed it all up at the end when he dropped the 45 into the net.
I can recall Brolly's interview afterwards saying something like
"They beat us at the back and at MF and up front all day long and we still won"

I like his honesty and humility compared to Brolly & ye very rarely saw him do anything untoward.

Can ye remember Tohill's tips on at the end of every show on UTV or was it BBC? It was a bit cringeworthy. Didn't Canavan have something similar?

theticklemister

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 22, 2013, 12:17:45 PM
Quote from: ApresMatch on February 21, 2013, 04:22:10 PM

Oops. Was in a hurry and copied and pasted it straight from the TG4 website.

As a biased Tyrone man who went to school in Derry during the 90's, I probably didn't appreciate how good a player he was. There was tense rivalry between Tyrone & Derry for a number of years in the 90's where they seem to meet nearly every year. its amazing the teams have only ever met once in an Ulster final, back in 1957.

Tohill had a formidable partnership with McGilligan and had Derry got their act together he should have won a few more All Irelands. in that '92 league final Ciaran Corr had a great day at MF for Tyrone but poor Plunkett messed it all up at the end when he dropped the 45 into the net.
I can recall Brolly's interview afterwards saying something like
"They beat us at the back and at MF and up front all day long and we still won"

I like his honesty and humility compared to Brolly & ye very rarely saw him do anything untoward.

Can ye remember Tohill's tips on at the end of every show on UTV or was it BBC? It was a bit cringeworthy. Didn't Canavan have something similar?

St.Columb's College Fuzzman??

Fuzzman

Yip the college

I went to the 95 Ulster semi with 2 Derry lads and another Tyrone lad in the car.
That was the we beat Derry with 13 men day and it was an enjoyable journey home.
Back then there was no Sam in Tyrone when we sang about London.