Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2021, 10:44:09 AM
Are Americans British too?
Are people from the Isle of Wight British?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 10:55:40 AM

According to you any country that speaks English can be British
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2021, 10:59:22 AM

Not so

It's the logic of another poster

I certainly think Brendan Rodgers can legitimately refer to himself as British however

Do you?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rich Ricci on May 16, 2021, 08:52:36 AM
Only seen highlights on the cup final this morning and as much as I dislike Chelsea that is a sickening way to lose.

Great goal to win it and a couple of great saves from Schmeichel added into the mix. IMO he's very underrated as a goalkeeper. Has been one of the best keepers in the league for some time now.

I would agree on schmeichel. I am surprised one of the bigger clubs hasn't came in for him.

Great to see Leicester win this. The bigger teams winning the cups always makes it feel a bit soulless IMO and to see what it means to players in clubs who don't win very much is great to see. The fa cup has been really devalued for quite a while but this has brought back a bit of the "magic of the cup".

I wouldn't be a massive fan of Chelsea as a club but I do like Tuchels. He was very gracious in defeat from what I heard on the interviews.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 11:01:14 AM

Not so

I certainly think Brendan Rodgers can legitimately refer to himself as British however

Do you?

I couldn't give a stuff if he recognised himself as Klingon. And it was you that said if you post in the English language then that must make you a Brit.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2021, 11:22:05 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 11:01:14 AM

Not so

Do you?

I couldn't give a stuff if he recognised himself as Klingon. And it was you that said if you post in the English language then that must make you a Brit.
No, I didn't

According to Benny Cake's logic it does though

According to Benny Cake, if you call Sir Kenny Dalglish Sir Kenny Dalglish that makes you British

That seems a bit crazy to me

It would also make the people of Dungiven British, Sir

As it would any child in school who ever called their teacher "Sir"

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2021, 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2021, 12:18:50 AM
It seems there's more Brits than Brendan Rodgers about, with all this 'Sir' talk.
You post in the English language (loosely, at least), so that must make you a Brit

At least according to your own logic

Well, that's me told. No way out of that one!  ;D
Well it clearly is your logic

There is such a thing as the Irish language and it was formerly the primary spoken language on this island, no longer

Destruction of the mother tongue is one of the primary tools of colonisation

A lot of Irish people have always had a very sneering, dismissive attitude towards others they see as less "pure" in their Irishness, ie. the barbs "soup taker", "West Brit" etc.

Yet pretty much all Irish people speak English as their mother tongue, including myself - though I did attend a scoil lán Gaelach so I can also speak Irish

Surely the fact that we here are all writing through English would make us "impure" in our Irishness - "soup takers", "West Brits", at least according to you

Brendan Rodgers can legitimately be both British and Irish by the way

Same as Dublin's world snooker finalist Shaun Murphy can be both Irish and British

Identity is not a black and white thing, it is complex

Thanks for the history lesson sid  :o

I was merely addressing the "Sir Alex" and "Sir Kenny" etc, talk. I just don't understand why Irish people would use this British royalist title when speaking of these people.

That's like watching yesterday's match, and Lineker saying "well, what did you make of the first half, Alan Shearer OBE"?... or "describe the winning goal for us, Ian Wright SSC*"?

I didn't hear Rodgers speak of himself as British. I thought maybe someone else had said it.

*Silver swimming certificate

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2021, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on May 16, 2021, 08:52:36 AM
Only seen highlights on the cup final this morning and as much as I dislike Chelsea that is a sickening way to lose.

Great goal to win it and a couple of great saves from Schmeichel added into the mix. IMO he's very underrated as a goalkeeper. Has been one of the best keepers in the league for some time now.

I would agree on schmeichel. I am surprised one of the bigger clubs hasn't came in for him.

Great to see Leicester win this. The bigger teams winning the cups always makes it feel a bit soulless IMO and to see what it means to players in clubs who don't win very much is great to see. The fa cup has been really devalued for quite a while but this has brought back a bit of the "magic of the cup".

I wouldn't be a massive fan of Chelsea as a club but I do like Tuchels. He was very gracious in defeat from what I heard on the interviews.

I said it 5+ years ago that United should have went for him. He's the best keeper since his father played.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2021, 11:40:01 AM
It seems there's more Brits than Brendan Rodgers about, with all this 'Sir' talk.
You post in the English language (loosely, at least), so that must make you a Brit

There is such a thing as the Irish language and it was formerly the primary spoken language on this island, no longer

A lot of Irish people have always had a very sneering, dismissive attitude towards others they see as less "pure" in their Irishness, ie. the barbs "soup taker", "West Brit" etc.

Yet pretty much all Irish people speak English as their mother tongue, including myself - though I did attend a scoil lán Gaelach so I can also speak Irish

Surely the fact that we here are all writing through English would make us "impure" in our Irishness - "soup takers", "West Brits", at least according to you

Same as Dublin's world snooker finalist Shaun Murphy can be both Irish and British

I was merely addressing the "Sir Alex" and "Sir Kenny" etc, talk. I just don't understand why Irish people would use this British royalist title when speaking of these people.

That's like watching yesterday's match, and Lineker saying "well, what did you make of the first half, Alan Shearer OBE"?... or "describe the winning goal for us, Ian Wright SSC*"?

I didn't hear Rodgers speak of himself as British. I thought maybe someone else had said it.

Rodgers called himself a "British coach"

I referred to Sir Kenny out of respect for Sir Kenny as Sir is generally applied to a person of that title in everyday conversation, whereas OBE etc. isn't

Milltown Row2

I thought that he was referring to the fact that he's a coach of a British team or from the 'Home Nations' but if he changes his mind and calls himself an Irish coach is that ok?

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 16, 2021, 11:45:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2021, 11:40:01 AM

Rodgers called himself a "British coach"

I referred to Sir Kenny out of respect for Sir Kenny as Sir is generally applied to a person of that title in everyday conversation, whereas OBE etc. isn't

I have respect for Kenny and Fergie, for their achievements and as people, but i never refer to them as Sir.

Anyway, I hope you'll be addressing Bono and Jeffrey Donaldson by their proper title (ya little bollix) ;)

Milltown Row2

quit yo jibbajabba

So anyway. Premier League. You know, football and all that....

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2021, 12:03:02 PM
I thought that he was referring to the fact that he's a coach of a British team or from the 'Home Nations' but if he changes his mind and calls himself an Irish coach is that ok?

Yeah that's possibly what he meant.

And no, he can't come back now  ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 16, 2021, 01:21:36 PM
So anyway. Premier League. You know, football and all that....

Actually, recent posts were about the FA cup. Just Saying.