Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: AFS on November 06, 2008, 10:18:40 PM
Quote from: crossfire on November 06, 2008, 10:10:30 PM
Armagh would have a good under 21 squad in 2009, the key players being Kieran Toner and Stefan Forker.

There are also some good players from Cross but going by Mr Mc Alindens record when he was senior manager he might not want them.

You sure Toner is still U-21? Don't think he is, maybe not Forker either
Toner should be fine, I dont think he's 21 until March time.  Forker is younger than him.

Feckitt

I know there were trials recenlty for Armagh Minor squad.  Has the squad been announced?

MOJO

Heard that Justin McNulty & John Toal where also in for the U-21 job.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Real1995 on November 06, 2008, 10:58:43 PM
£12 stg into the double header on Sunday - a bloody disgrace into 1st round games! so much for the credit crunch  ::)

Worth every penny  :)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

Armagh defender Enda McNulty is hopeful over some of the Orchard County's veteran players prolonging their inter-county careers so as the team can achieve further success.

The 31-year-old struggled to overcome a hamstring injury this season, but intents to come back fresh for Peter McDonnell's side next season

While all time leading Ulster Championship scorer Oisin McConville has hung up his boots with Armagh, the likes of Aidan O'Rourke (31), Francie Bellew (32) and Paul McGrane (34) have been muted since their All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Wexford as to whether or not they intend making a return in an orange jersey next season.

"This is the biggest honour you will ever give, to play with your county, and you want to prolong that as long as you can," said McNulty.

----

So that's Enda on board for another year. There will be very few joining Oisin. Bellew is probably the only other candidate.

billy the kid

The rest of the players listed there still have something to offer but IMHO Mc Nulty should have retired before last year. there is better than him sitting on the bench and He def not County standard.

Are the Cross v St Pats and Cullyhanna v Greenlough games def on in Cross?
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

AFS

AOR and McGrane would be well worth keeping on. Not so sure about Enda or Francie, both seemed to show the effects of injuries/age last year with their pace particularly affected.

Just an idea but if Francie goes and AOR stays on, could he be shifted back to full back? Although he might lack a bit of pace, AOR is a very clever player who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I just wouldn't be so sure about Donaghy at full back yet, I'd rather see him nail down a CB or HB spot for a year or two before he'd be shifted into FB as its such a crucial position.

thebandit

Armagh Exile

Ulster Intermediate Football Club Quarter-final (12.45)
St Patrick's, Cullyhanna  (Armagh) v Greenlough (Derry)

Ulster Senior Football Club Quarter-final (2.30)
Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) v St Patrick's Donagh (Fermanagh)

Both games at Oliver Plunkett Park, Crossmaglen - Sunday 9 November.

goh4205

Quote from: AFS on November 07, 2008, 07:13:53 PM
AOR and McGrane would be well worth keeping on. Not so sure about Enda or Francie, both seemed to show the effects of injuries/age last year with their pace particularly affected.

Just an idea but if Francie goes and AOR stays on, could he be shifted back to full back? Although he might lack a bit of pace, AOR is a very clever player who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I just wouldn't be so sure about Donaghy at full back yet, I'd rather see him nail down a CB or HB spot for a year or two before he'd be shifted into FB as its such a crucial position.
surely McDonald wouldn't allow that" oh sorry, sure he doesn't pick the team AOR does", as he would most defiantly be exposed.  I think there should be a complete clean out, and this would include Francie, AOR, MOR, Enda.  The only one of the elder players that has something to offer is McGrane.  At least then McDonald would be in charge and not certain individual/'s

Throw ball

AFS. I have been arguing that Donaghy is a more natural half back. I am not sure of him playing full back. Think he can do a good job there because he is a good footballer but would be more suited outthe field.

The GAA

Quote from: goh4205 on November 08, 2008, 12:53:16 PM
surely McDonald wouldn't allow that" oh sorry, sure he doesn't pick the team AOR does", as he would most defiantly be exposed.  I think there should be a complete clean out, and this would include Francie, AOR, MOR, Enda. 

Not the first time i've heard cross lads making outrageous claims against McDonnell. co board picks the team, players pick the team, sponsor picks the team, hates cross players, etc.

would there be any annoyance round yourclub simply because you guys have no longer carte blanche over the county team any more?

brokencrossbar1

The GAA I don't know for sure that goh is from Cross. He certainly never came across as being from Cross.  Preter is the right man for the job in my opinion and I have always said that.  He will bring this team on to a different place then they are at now if he is left to run it his way. 

The GAA

i wouldn't know mcdonnell but from what i hear he's a straight fella and the right man for the job. read goh's list of previous posts and you'll not be in much doubt where he's from bc.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Mixed fortunes for the Armagh clubs with a comfortable win for the Rangers while St pat's were beaten by 2 points - 0-11 to 0-9.

Bitterly disappointed with the result today. Very poor performance, we just weren't at the races at all. Started ok with a Shane McKeever point but we went out of it for about 10 minutes at the start of the first half when Greenlough built up a 0-3 to 0-1 lead. We then started to come back into the game and drew level from a Kieran McKeever free and an Aidan Mackin point (I think). Gave away a couple of silly frees then but we went in level at 5 points a piece at half time after Barry McConville scored a late point although he probably should have gone for a goal.

While we hadn't played that well int he first half, going in level and with the breeze at our backs in the second half, I thought we'd be ok but it was a very poor second half from Cullyhanna. We had the chances to win the game and spurned a couple of really good positions with fellas taking on shots instead of looking and passing to a teammater in a goal scoring position. Poor option taking probably cost us the match while there were a few strange decisions on the line. We got very jittery on the ball towards the end and gifted Greenlough a point when 1 behind with a couple of minutes to go which killed the game.

Desperately disappointing today. Our first match in an Ulster championship and we didn't do ourselves justice at all. It might be a long time until we have a chance like that in an Ulster competition again. Its a real opportunity lost. Don;t want to take anything away from Greenlough though who deserved their victory on the day. Very reliant on Enda Lynn who most of their moves go through although I thought Shane Lennon did very well on him for 45 minutes until he was taken off. The bald fella at full forward seemed like a decent footballer too. They did well to disrupt our midfield which wasn;t the strength for us it has been.

Don't want to be too critical of the St Pat's lads. There were 2 aims at the start of the end - staying in division 1 and winning the Intermediate - both of which they did in style. Its just a real pity we couldn't have gone a bit further in Ulster.

As for Cross, they were just going through the motions and won comfortably. Couple of brilliant scores - one from Oisin and one from T Kernan were the highlight.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead