Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteMind you the Bridge have had their fair share of "outsiders" in their ranks down the years, including James Traynor ( Forkhill ), Jimmy Phillips Drumintee ), Martin Smyth ( Belleek ), Joe Crawley ( Mullabawn ), Gary Boyle ( Carrickcruppen ), Colm Murphy ( Crossmaglen ), Kieran Mallie ( Drumintee ), ( Brendan Mallie ( Drumintee ), Mickey Martin ( Drumintee ), Vincent Martin ( Drumintee ) and Shane Lyons ( Forkhill ), I'm sure other posters could add to this list.

:D  You went back to the history books for that one.

The Mallies is a good one. 

Nice try.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Uladh

Quote from: crossfire on August 30, 2007, 10:44:42 PM
John Donaldson  was born and reared in Cross Parish ( Upper Creggan ) and still lives there. He went to Cross primary school. He never ever lived in Cullyhanna parish ( Lower Creggan ), so arguably he should have been a Cross player all along. However on his fathers wishes he played for Cullyhanna at all levels which I have no problem with.. He eventually fell out with the Cullyhanna club and went to play for Stabannon in Louth for 3 years. He signed for the Rangers in 1999 as it was more convenient for him. Again it seems a reasonable enough decision.

So upper cregan parish is now "crossmaglen parish". As if cross haven't big enough pick without claiming the rest of the bridge and culloville's players.

Donaldson tried his best to get to cross when he fell out with cullyhanna but for once the county board saw sense and refused him. he went to stabannon, where he was marrying to, with the intention of staying a year and coming back to cross through an interpro transfer. then, when stabannon won the championship and he ended up paying with louth he was persuaded to stay on another couple of years.

i wonder why it was convenient for him to join cross in 99 when he was living and working in louth?

orangeman

That's one of the great things about the GAA - they hate outsiders ( except when they're useful ones !! ).

SouthArmaghBandit

Does the county board have a map that shows club catchment areas? There's a lot of grey areas IMO.

full back

There will always be grey areas. A lot of it has also to do with family history & loyalty.
Fcuk there is some amount of posters here who dont like Cross.
I wonder are any of these same posters cheering for them come Paddy's Day?

winsamsoon

Full back the point i was stating was exactly what you said. That there are a whole lot of posters who hate the Cross. I was asking the reasons for this and i got issues like bullying co boards stealing players and a few other petty issues. However i thought that it boiled down to jealousy. As we have discovered over the past few pages of posts other clubs have also borrowed  ;) players from other clubs so this would rule out the valididy of the stealing players point. Which again brings me to the conclusion that they are all jealous of the success cross has had and rather than accept the fact that Cross are the best team becasue they have the best footballers. They are looking for other petty reasons for the Cross success. I am a clans man and i will always congratulate them and i will cheer them on St patricks day no matter or when they play. I also recognise they have taken players from other places but as we have seen who hasn't, to attribute their success to this would be misleading the facts. I think the green eyed monster rises again.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Uladh

i also dislike the blaming of poaching players as the reason of cross's success. it's patently not. however, if people post inaccurate information as facts i have no problem correcting them on a point of order.

personally i support cross every time they set foot outside our county representing armagh. i even got in the only fight i was ever in at a match defending their players at an ulster club match!

dontcare

Quote from: crossfire on August 30, 2007, 10:44:42 PM
This is my first post
I decided to register on this site to counteract the anti Rangers sentiments being expressed by a couple of posters.
On the issue of "outside players", John Murtagh's dad is from Cross and played with Rangers until he got married to a Cullyhanna girl. He then went to live in Cullyhanna and transferred to them which seems reasonable enough to me.
He eventually built a bungalow on his parents land in Cross and moved back to Cross when John was about 14. John then transferred to the Rangers. If it was reasonable for his father to transfer to Cullyhanna when he went to live there surely it was reasonable for his son John to transfer to the Rangers when he came to live in Cross.!!

John Donaldson  was born and reared in Cross Parish ( Upper Creggan ) and still lives there. He went to Cross primary school. He never ever lived in Cullyhanna parish ( Lower Creggan ), so arguably he should have been a Cross player all along. However on his fathers wishes he played for Cullyhanna at all levels which I have no problem with.. He eventually fell out with the Cullyhanna club and went to play for Stabannon in Louth for 3 years. He signed for the Rangers in 1999 as it was more convenient for him. Again it seems a reasonable enough decision.
You would think to read the post from Pints of Guinness that Cross were the only team to include players in their team that started their careers elsewhere.

Mind you the Bridge have had their fair share of "outsiders" in their ranks down the years, including James Traynor ( Forkhill ), Jimmy Phillips Drumintee ), Martin Smyth ( Belleek ), Joe Crawley ( Mullabawn ), Gary Boyle ( Carrickcruppen ), Colm Murphy ( Crossmaglen ), Kieran Mallie ( Drumintee ), ( Brendan Mallie ( Drumintee ), Mickey Martin ( Drumintee ), Vincent Martin ( Drumintee ) and Shane Lyons ( Forkhill ), I'm sure other posters could add to this list.

I am not criticising the Bridge for playing the aforementioned, they would be very silly not to as they would probably have ended up playing against them, but pints ever heard of "people in glass houses" ??

Well said cross fire, actually John M mother is from blaney but the family moved to cullyhanna as Johns Dads grandmother lived there and a house came up for sale from family next door.
You are correct about John Donaldson,
Stephen Clarke was originally from cross,
Glen Hanratty transfered from Cross to Silverbridge (in time for a minor championship with the bridge, ) and he lives in creggan, WHO OWNS CREGGAN WE WILL NEVER KNOW. LOL LOL
Not sure how true it is but heard C Conlon requested a transfer to cross but county board refused.

pintsofguinness

QuoteHowever i thought that it boiled down to jealousy. As we have discovered over the past few pages of posts other clubs have also borrowed

No one is saying other clubs haven't taken players not from the area we're talking about the amount.
Crossfire went back about 15 years there and came up with a hilarious list of 11 players who he called "outsiders".
You can take the two mallies out of it as I'd far as I'm concerned they would never be outsiders in the bridge because if it wasn't for their Da and uncles (and people like them) we wouldn't have the facilites and club we have today. 

The 9 left includes players who've only played underage for us and players who went back to their own clubs when rows were sorted out.

Who wants to go back into cross history and go down all their underage teams and see how many outsiders they get in last 15 years?

QuoteNot sure how true it is but heard C Conlon requested a transfer to cross but county board refused.
Really?  Can the county board refuse a transfer if both clubs agree?

Uladh

Where is Conlon looking to go?

Quote from: dontcare on August 31, 2007, 01:26:31 PM
You are correct about John Donaldson,

as already stated, he facts re donaldson are

QuoteDonaldson tried his best to get to cross when he fell out with cullyhanna but for once the county board saw sense and refused him. he went to stabannon, where he was marrying to, with the intention of staying a year and coming back to cross through an interpro transfer. then, when stabannon won the championship and he ended up paying with louth he was persuaded to stay on another couple of years.

pintsofguinness

two two charle will be fit to tell you uladh.

bennydorano

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 31, 2007, 01:35:14 PM

QuoteNot sure how true it is but heard C Conlon requested a transfer to cross but county board refused.
Really?  Can the county board refuse a transfer if both clubs agree?

They wont sanction any after the cut off point, end of March or end of April.

corn02

Winsamsoon where were you on 9/11?

twotwocharlie

tell everyone pints what facilites the mallies da and uncles provided at the bridge club.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: twotwocharlie on August 31, 2007, 07:33:47 PM
tell everyone pints what facilites the mallies da and uncles provided at the bridge club.
::)

Didn't they help build what's there?  They weren't on their own of course.

Are you not answering uladh's question?