5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: dublin7 on December 21, 2020, 12:21:52 PM
Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

If that's the case, why bother fund them?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Semi professionalism probably the only viable alternative to level it up but even then you've a problem  how are you going to stop players joining the stronger counties through a transfer market, as in freedom of movement under labour law as it's a place of work .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 21, 2020, 12:28:48 PM
How were Dublin able to attract Bryan Cullen from a professional full time sports role to a similar one with an amateur basis?

You contrast that with Tyrone not being able to keep Peter Donnelly once Ulster rugby came knocking and I'm sure Leinster rugby have a higher wage cap than Ulster.

So that's the kind of disparity in finances you are talking about here.

Ex Captain of Dublin football team Byran Cullen?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

Decent enough article tbf. On this point he makes
QuoteSo I get annoyed when I see people saying that these players are only able to win because of financial doping

Virtually nobody is saying that or at least not anybody with a bit of sense.

Dublin have plenty of natural advantages that can never be changed, funding is one that can be changed relatively easily if the will is there.

whitey

Mayo had a man advantage for the first 10 minutes of the second half and instead of drawing level or going ahead, they fell a further 2 points behind.  Dublin we're and are just a better team

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 12:49:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 21, 2020, 12:28:48 PM
How were Dublin able to attract Bryan Cullen from a professional full time sports role to a similar one with an amateur basis?

You contrast that with Tyrone not being able to keep Peter Donnelly once Ulster rugby came knocking and I'm sure Leinster rugby have a higher wage cap than Ulster.

So that's the kind of disparity in finances you are talking about here.

Ex Captain of Dublin football team Byran Cullen?

Yes.

How can Dublin GAA afford to lure him away from his capacity in a pro sport?

€€€€€€€€
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 21, 2020, 12:52:08 PM

QuoteSo I get annoyed when I see people saying that these players are only able to win because of financial doping

Dublin have plenty of natural advantages that can never be changed, funding is one that can be changed relatively easily if the will is there.

But the funding that the likes of Lar quotes figures from is nothing at all to do with funding the intercounty team.

The sponsorship money of course does and something can be done there. But not pooling all the sponsorship that each county gets. That would lead to mismanagement.
Instead you need to take the power away from all the county boards and sell it on a national level, something like the NFL maybe.

BennyCake

The sponsorship money - is there not ways around that? Instead of AIG giving Dublin a €1 million cheque every year, they could easily build Dublin GAA a complex (eg. 3G pitch, gym, ice bath, pool etc) so that the money would haven't to be taken off Dublin by the GAA and centralised for all counties to benefit equally.

I remember when McGuinness was with Donegal, there was stories of big businessmen paying for training weekends in Carlton house and the like. There's ways around the money/sponsorship thing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on December 21, 2020, 01:14:16 PM

But the funding that the likes of Lar quotes figures from is nothing at all to do with funding the intercounty team.

The sponsorship money of course does and something can be done there. But not pooling all the sponsorship that each county gets. That would lead to mismanagement.
Instead you need to take the power away from all the county boards and sell it on a national level, something like the NFL maybe.

Perhaps not directly related but it feeds into it eventually - more young kids playing at the bottom of the "pyramid" feeds up into more adults playing and the standard is inevitably higher. That development money helps to amplify the population advantage.

Eire90

the sin bin arguably helps the offending team as it gives the player a rest

Angelo

Quote from: Eire90 on December 21, 2020, 01:49:40 PM
the sin bin arguably helps the offending team as it gives the player a rest

Nonsense.

Being a man down at any point in the modern game is a huge loss.

Look at the Cavan Donegal game for a great example of it.

seafoid

I thought it was nonsense

Especially the line about him.seeing.them.up.close so it had nothing to.do with money..

The All Ireland has become a joke..Dublin don't even get a proper challenge..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on December 21, 2020, 01:14:16 PM

With due respect Hound, I can see massive problems with your proposal. Sponsors  give money or other forms of aid to specific counties for one reason only.
They do so because they anticipate an increase on sales of their products or services or at least to creaate a positive profile in their target market. For example Arnotts sponsor the Dubs. (ASFAIK) and Elverys sponsor Mayo.
Do you think either want to see their investment diluted by having it shared out between all counties and not the ones they had intended it for?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 21, 2020, 12:31:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2020, 11:24:04 AM
So it's back to the good oul days.......?
Grassy banks, big lump of a leather ball, Mícheál Ó Hehir, warm runny ice cream, sideline 1 shilling extra, tar bilin', .....

No it's not Rosfan and your savvy old man posts are a bit tiresome - on any subject.

We have a problem and we either go professional or we make the game an amateur one in the true sense,

Disagree if you wish but less of being the resident smartass.
Another poster with a humour by pass  ::)

Semi Pro is your option as things wont go back to true amateurism at top level.
True amateurism would mean no expenses, no collective training etc which of course is an upper class English Victorian concept of sport being for "gentlemen" only.
A semi pro contract would have to be with Central GAA and the usual rules for qualification would have to apply.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo