38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Halfquarter

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2020, 10:03:18 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 21, 2020, 09:53:32 AM
Didn't see any stats from the kickouts but at first glance thought Mayo did really well on them until Fenton came alive in the final quarter, don't think Cluxton had too many in the second half given Mayo's lack of attempts.

Its all very depressing, 7 in a row looks nailed on already.
Mayo were still in it with 55 minutes gone. From then on they were running on empty.
the same things happened to Kerry in the replay last year.Gne for the last 15 minutes.
It will be the same next year.

We need an audit of the Dublin team. What is the money being used for .
How many hours are spent on S&C

Progressive sports keep a tab on developments to ensure competition isn't damaged.
The GAA are useless in this regard

Return to the good old days when matches only lasted for 60 minutes. ?

highorlow

Something that's getting lost in the discussion on this and isn't really to do with money or population it's the logistics that the Dublin players enjoy over the rest of the counties (bar perhaps Meath, Kildare and Louth).

They can meet in a group every day for training it they want to and it's no more than an hours journey for most of them, likely an hours cycle to training. This has to be a huge benefit as this is akin to a professional soccer or rugby club type training schedule. Most other counties including Mayo cannot enjoy this set-up, in fact we have a Dublin based coach to train our Dublin based players.

If you look at some of the most successful football club teams over the years it's likely most players from the successful clubs are home based or at least get to train together more often than the least successful clubs.

It's likely happening in the ladies game now also, Dublin dominant, with Cork next (are most of the Cork ladies city based?). Meath ladies are coming good now also. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dublin and Meath ladies dominating their game over the next ten years which will be helped by logistics.

The only solution is to go full professional at inter county level, paid players, full time training, football is their job. No other solution as I see it.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tatler Jack

The idea of returning to 60 minutes and 3 subs crossed my mind at the weekend. Clearly the longer the period of playing and the more subs the more advantage the semi professional outfits have. We need to get Gaelic games back to being recreational sports and not the professional and media driven games they have become where those with greatest financial resources have overwhelming advantages. I saw the details of Dublin's backroom team at the weekend - could Leitrim or Carlow footballers afford such a set up. 

seafoid

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 21, 2020, 10:16:12 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2020, 10:03:18 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 21, 2020, 09:53:32 AM
Didn't see any stats from the kickouts but at first glance thought Mayo did really well on them until Fenton came alive in the final quarter, don't think Cluxton had too many in the second half given Mayo's lack of attempts.

Its all very depressing, 7 in a row looks nailed on already.
Mayo were still in it with 55 minutes gone. From then on they were running on empty.
the same things happened to Kerry in the replay last year.Gne for the last 15 minutes.
It will be the same next year.

We need an audit of the Dublin team. What is the money being used for .
How many hours are spent on S&C

Progressive sports keep a tab on developments to ensure competition isn't damaged.
The GAA are useless in this regard

Return to the good old days when matches only lasted for 60 minutes. ?
I was thinking the same thing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: highorlow on December 21, 2020, 10:27:42 AM
Something that's getting lost in the discussion on this and isn't really to do with money or population it's the logistics that the Dublin players enjoy over the rest of the counties (bar perhaps Meath, Kildare and Louth).

They can meet in a group every day for training it they want to and it's no more than an hours journey for most of them, likely an hours cycle to training. This has to be a huge benefit as this is akin to a professional soccer or rugby club type training schedule. Most other counties including Mayo cannot enjoy this set-up, in fact we have a Dublin based coach to train our Dublin based players.

If you look at some of the most successful football club teams over the years it's likely most players from the successful clubs are home based or at least get to train together more often than the least successful clubs.

It's likely happening in the ladies game now also, Dublin dominant, with Cork next (are most of the Cork ladies city based?). Meath ladies are coming good now also. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dublin and Meath ladies dominating their game over the next ten years which will be helped by logistics.

The only solution is to go full professional at inter county level, paid players, full time training, football is their job. No other solution as I see it.

Yes, logistics is a big part of it now. 

Dublin can gather/train within a few minutes of their homes. No 2/3 hour journeys after training. More time to rest and recover. I've heard it said in soccer, where PL players would go play golf, shop or whatever, managers wanting them to go home and rest. Do nothing. All part of the recovery process, and be in best a shape as possible. How is a Donegal/Mayo player able to properly rest/recover if he has to drive back late at night to Dublin, then be up again at daylight for work? Dublin players already have those 2/3 hours in the bank. Multiply that be dozens of times and it's a huge advantage.

6th sam

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 21, 2020, 10:30:12 AM
The idea of returning to 60 minutes and 3 subs crossed my mind at the weekend. Clearly the longer the period of playing and the more subs the more advantage the semi professional outfits have. We need to get Gaelic games back to being recreational sports and not the professional and media driven games they have become where those with greatest financial resources have overwhelming advantages. I saw the details of Dublin's backroom team at the weekend - could Leitrim or Carlow footballers afford such a set up.

Tbf most county teams have extended set-ups.
In addition to 60 mins, 3 subs , 13 a side would also level things. The bigger the resources , then the better 15 and extended squad and the fitter they are likely to be.

One of the most annoying thing about Dublin's advantages is that it gives people a chance to put question marks over the achievements of some of the best footballers and role models in the history of the sport. Regardless of resources the Culture in that squad is unbelievable. McCarthy Fenton Mcmenamin Kilkenny O'callaghan cluxton to name a few , are outstanding sportsmen and role models, and Dublin's advantages should never take away from that. Congrats to the Dublin squad they deserve all the plaudits they get for their excellent ability and personality . The problem is not withe Dublin players or management , it's with the system ( but Tbf some of their supporters and "media management " doesn't help their cause)

Farrandeelin

Three subs would make an impact anyway I can imagine.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

So it's back to the good oul days.......?
Grassy banks, big lump of a leather ball, Mícheál Ó Hehir, warm runny ice cream, sideline 1 shilling extra, tar bilin', .....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2020, 11:24:04 AM
Grassy banks, big lump of a leather ball, Mícheál Ó Hehir, warm runny ice cream, sideline 1 shilling extra, tar bilin', .....

😂😂
I'm not saying that just saying that bigger squads and longer games advantage the teams with biggest resources, simple maths.

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on December 21, 2020, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: highorlow on December 21, 2020, 10:27:42 AM

Yes, logistics is a big part of it now. 

Dublin can gather/train within a few minutes of their homes. No 2/3 hour journeys after training. More time to rest and recover. I've heard it said in soccer, where PL players would go play golf, shop or whatever, managers wanting them to go home and rest. Do nothing. All part of the recovery process, and be in best a shape as possible. How is a Donegal/Mayo player able to properly rest/recover if he has to drive back late at night to Dublin, then be up again at daylight for work? Dublin players already have those 2/3 hours in the bank. Multiply that be dozens of times and it's a huge advantage.

Agree completely and I've been saying it for a while.

I think one of the effects of Covid is that it might start to even up this imbalance a bit:
- Big companies realising they don't have to be in Dublin
- Players (well those that work in office environments anyway) will be able to work from home a lot more
- Managers being able to run some of their tactical sessions on Zoom, rather than dragging everyone in from miles

I heard one of the Cavan lads (who works in an office job in Dublin) saying WFH made a huge difference to his preparations this year.

Still a long way to go, but every bit helps.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: 6th sam on December 21, 2020, 11:07:51 AM

Tbf most county teams have extended set-ups.
In addition to 60 mins, 3 subs , 13 a side would also level things. The bigger the resources , then the better 15 and extended squad and the fitter they are likely to be.

One of the most annoying thing about Dublin's advantages is that it gives people a chance to put question marks over the achievements of some of the best footballers and role models in the history of the sport. Regardless of resources the Culture in that squad is unbelievable. McCarthy Fenton Mcmenamin Kilkenny O'callaghan cluxton to name a few , are outstanding sportsmen and role models, and Dublin's advantages should never take away from that. Congrats to the Dublin squad they deserve all the plaudits they get for their excellent ability and personality . The problem is not withe Dublin players or management , it's with the system ( but Tbf some of their supporters and "media management " doesn't help their cause)
+ with all of that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on December 21, 2020, 12:21:52 PM
Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

Bernard "Dublin players just work harder in the gym" Brogan
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

How were Dublin able to attract Bryan Cullen from a professional full time sports role to a similar one with an amateur basis?

You contrast that with Tyrone not being able to keep Peter Donnelly once Ulster rugby came knocking and I'm sure Leinster rugby have a higher wage cap than Ulster.

So that's the kind of disparity in finances you are talking about here.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2020, 11:24:04 AM

No it's not Rosfan and your savvy old man posts are a bit tiresome - on any subject.

We have a problem and we either go professional or we make the game an amateur one in the true sense,

Disagree if you wish but less of being the resident smartass.