Cryptocurrency

Started by gallsman, September 01, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

tiempo

Have 2 colleagues at work hard wired into this and both doing quite well

Colleague A is trying to interpret the signals, understand the science and apply some sort of rationale

Colleague B is investing in coins solely on the basis of their name and what gives him a giggle

Colleague B is currently on a better rate of return, funny old game

Mikhail Prokhorov

Eamonnca1

I'm with Warren Buffett on this one. If you get into the game, you might come out ahead, but this is a bubble and if you're still in it while it pops then you're screwed. And there's no way of knowing when it's going to pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtITDtZPYEw

screenexile

What happens when Musk decides to ditch BTC at its height then lambast it on SNL?? Surely it's made of stronger stuff then Dogecoin would the same thing happen??

trailer

Tom Brady with the Laser eyes.

smelmoth

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 05, 2021, 06:37:46 PM
I'm with Warren Buffett on this one. If you get into the game, you might come out ahead, but this is a bubble and if you're still in it while it pops then you're screwed. And there's no way of knowing when it's going to pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtITDtZPYEw

Any of the crypto supporters want to explain why Buffet has got this wrong?

Eamonnca1

I've been listening to a lot of Buffett lately. He keeps referencing an old book called The Intelligent Investor which I've started reading. It talks about drawing a distinction between investing and speculating. It says it's okay to dabble in a bit of speculation, but they recommend you do it from a smaller "mad money" account and with an amount that you don't mind losing. For the rest of your portfolio, pick under-valued stocks that are going to generate dependable growth in the long run, even if they dip once in a while. And have some bonds in there too.

trailer

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 11, 2021, 11:13:40 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Buffett lately. He keeps referencing an old book called The Intelligent Investor which I've started reading. It talks about drawing a distinction between investing and speculating. It says it's okay to dabble in a bit of speculation, but they recommend you do it from a smaller "mad money" account and with an amount that you don't mind losing. For the rest of your portfolio, pick under-valued stocks that are going to generate dependable growth in the long run, even if they dip once in a while. And have some bonds in there too.

Yes I think you need a balanced portfolio. I have a pension that I build into every month, I haven't time to think about picking shares, so I pay someone to do that for me but when a huge dip comes like Covid I put more in. Then some property and then I have a about 1-2% in Crypto. Mad money like you say. Anyone going all in on Crypto would want to have a word with themselves.

gallsman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 11, 2021, 11:13:40 PM

That's the entire concept of value investing. There is always risk though.

I don't think anyone here has their mortgage and kids' college money in bitcoin or any other crypto.

screenexile

Will Bitcoin become a classic pump and dump? It'll get to 100k and everyone will abandon ship at that stage leaving a load of people who invested late with nothing?

It's far too precarious for my liking I've been thinking about investing in Crypto recently but the more and more I research it and the characters I listen to promoting it just seems far too risky.

In the medium term it looks like it will definitely go up given the pent up demand and inflation that seems to be coming but it's far too volatile for me.

screenexile

Tesla not accepting Bitcoin anymore and the price is back towards 50k again!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2021, 12:36:01 AM
Tesla not accepting Bitcoin anymore and the price is back towards 50k again!

Concerns for the environment lol. He has no problem sending up all his junk to clutter space the bellend

Maroon Manc

I know Tesla had sold 10% of their Bitcoin but did they sell the rest?

smelmoth

Bitcoin can climb again. It's previous rise was based on frig all so who is to say it will not happen again.

But the recent moves show how lacking in fundamentals cryptocurrency is and how vulnerable investors are to the "pump and dump" tactics of broad backed investors with profile.

Anyone investing in this is being asked to be made a mug of.