Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Snapchap on May 06, 2021, 08:11:59 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2021, 07:23:39 AM
Always thought for sf to really progress they needed rid of ones like her.
I assume you mean in Derry? Elsewhere, SF have done nothing but progress dramatically.

Martina Anderson may not have been the greatest political communicator but she spent 13 years in jail for her role in fighting for a wholly just cause and for that she has my respect. It's a mark of her character that she hasn't thrown the dummy out of the pram over how this was handled, accepted the reasons for it and remains committed to the party. Best wishes to her.

Agreed.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

Yes, she was a child of a different era, hopefully that era doesn't return and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel but I've said it here before she and her type of rhetoric won't win over the undecideds needed to swing a border poll.

Shinners need to get the likes of Doherty more involved in NI politics, normalising the debate so to speak.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I assume you mean in Derry? Elsewhere, SF have done nothing but progress dramatically.

Martina Anderson may not have been the greatest political communicator but she spent 13 years in jail for her role in fighting for a wholly just cause and for that she has my respect. It's a mark of her character that she hasn't thrown the dummy out of the pram over how this was handled, accepted the reasons for it and remains committed to the party. Best wishes to her.

SF vote reduced overall

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 06, 2021, 09:28:13 AM

SF vote reduced overall

In Derry, as I mentioned.

Nationally, SF have been progressing dramatically, as I mentioned.

Rossfan

Only in the 26 Cos between May 19 and Feb 20.
Dropoed 6 or 7 % in the North between 2017 and 2019.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on May 06, 2021, 02:30:08 PM
At present SF and FG are running neck and neck in the polls down south.
In the Irish Times poll last February, FG were on 30% and SF were on 28%. 
There's been little between them of late.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on May 06, 2021, 01:01:09 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 06, 2021, 09:28:13 AM

SF vote reduced overall

In Derry, as I mentioned.

Nationally, SF have been progressing dramatically, as I mentioned.

It dropped overall percentage share in the north. In the free state they were badly stagnating and then they became the party of protest which yes led to an unexpected revival, so much so some of their candidates were off on hols during the counts.

I've said many times, get them in South of the border , it will be very interesting

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 06, 2021, 03:20:38 PM
At present SF and FG are running neck and neck in the polls down south.
In the Irish Times poll last February, FG were on 30% and SF were on 28%. 
There's been little between them of late.
True Lar.
We're not due to have any Elections till May 24 though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

She isn't committed to SF. She's committed to the struggle.
Lesson here for everyone. Once you are past your usefulness, SF will dump you, no matter who you are.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on May 06, 2021, 05:12:18 PM

Lesson here for everyone. Once you are past your usefulness, SF will dump you, no matter who you are.

She was primarily committed to the pound sterling

Snapchap

SF didnt grow significantly in the south until May 19? They went from 4 to 14 seats in the 2011 election. In 2016 they went from 14 to to 23. They now have 37. For the slow learners, the question was whether having Martina Anderson on board was holding SF back from becoming a force. In her time as an elected rep, SF have, as I've stated, progressed dramatically, north and south. Pointing to small dips in electoral fortune and overlooking the overall story of huge growth is some show of desperation.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 06, 2021, 05:12:18 PM

Political party in attempt to run candidates they think will boost their vote? Chilling stuff alright.

6th sam

Quote from: Snapchap on May 06, 2021, 06:14:05 PM

SF didnt grow significantly in the south until May 19? They went from 4 to 14 seats in the 2011 election. In 2016 they went from 14 to to 23. They now have 37. For the slow learners, the question was whether having Martina Anderson on board was holding SF back from becoming a force. In her time as an elected rep, SF have, as I've stated, progressed dramatically, north and south. Pointing to small dips in electoral fortune and overlooking the overall story of huge growth is some show of desperation.

I think it doesn't serve Sf well to think they have had "huge growth" without analysing it. The demographics in the North have been progressively favouring "nationalism" . However in the North the "nationalist " vote has not increased pro-rata. Sf gains have been mainly at the expense of SDLP and the rivalry between SF and SDLP has not served the "nationalist " population well.
Much as many have considerable difficulties with SF,  (and IMO they should look to show more  remorse for republican violence , and follow appropriate party structure and integrity guidelines ) , most parties in this island also have considerable baggage. SDLP , for whom I have much admiration on many issues, are nowhere near becoming the largest party. Are they brave enough therefore to put less focus on SF bashing , and facilitate SF in becoming the largest part in the assembly , relegating unionism from being the "largest party" for the first time ever . Or do they consider promoting a strong middle ground with Alliance( but that's unlikely to put Alliance in the position of the largest party ) . Hardline Unionism continues to be in power , and has presided over 100 years of failure( in most parameters) , surely it's time to move hardline unionism aside and explore new possibilities. We can't complain about the status quo if we don't tactically vote to get rid of it

Tubberman

Well, well, well - Eoghan Harris has got the boot from the Sindo rag because of some twitter account he was involved in.
Im off to read what he was tweeting!

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1390400039089016838?s=19
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

weareros

Quote from: Tubberman on May 06, 2021, 09:19:49 PM
Well, well, well - Eoghan Harris has got the boot from the Sindo rag because of some twitter account he was involved in.
Im off to read what he was tweeting!

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1390400039089016838?s=19

Imagine getting fired for masquerading as an auld wan called Babs sending anti-Sinn Fein tweets on Twitter after spending half your life getting paid to write anti-Sinn Fein diatribes on the Indo. Two sets of dunces.