European Super League

Started by seafoid, April 18, 2021, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Tony Baloney

Agnelli away too it seems.

GJL

Brilliant news. Hopefully this ESL nonsense collapses and with Woodward gone it will be a case of onwards and upwards.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 20, 2021, 08:02:31 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 20, 2021, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 20, 2021, 07:55:22 PM
Ed Woodward resigns

Great news if true.

He was going in the summer apparently anyway

A normally reliable Fabrizio Romano says

has resigned because of the super League situation will remain in his role until the end of the year and then he will leave.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/20/european-super-league-news-premier-teams-meeting-live-latest/

Plans for a breakaway European Super League were left in tatters after Chelsea and Manchester City began preparing documentation to withdraw from the competition.

The rest of the 12 clubs appear set to join them with Ed Woodward resigning as Manchester United's executive vice-chairman.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 20, 2021, 05:09:08 PM
There is certainly no premier league club who'd have turned down the opportunity to join a super league especially Leeds United so their antics last night were comical.

As for PSG the super league doesn't need them but PSG definitely needs the super league. Once the world cup is out of the way they'd be all over it. Bayern are the one super power who don't need it, biggest club in their league by a mile.
Everton wouldn't have, no way.

They actually generally have a bit of class and know their history and roots

BennyCake

If this has told us anything, it's that full stadiums aren't where the money it at for big clubs. It's the huge TV deals.  I thought maybe no crowds in stadiums would damage many clubs (and it has), that football in general would get a reality check right across the board.

But obviously the likes of a breakaway league is where the mega megabucks are. So in reality, even if fans boycotted matches, it wouldn't really bring down a breakaway league. Enough people would pay TV subscriptions to make it more than viable.

trueblue1234

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 20, 2021, 08:41:02 PM
There is certainly no premier league club who'd have turned down the opportunity to join a super league especially Leeds United so their antics last night were comical.

As for PSG the super league doesn't need them but PSG definitely needs the super league. Once the world cup is out of the way they'd be all over it. Bayern are the one super power who don't need it, biggest club in their league by a mile.

I don't think they need to worry.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

thewobbler

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 20, 2021, 08:42:31 PM
Looks like for now the proposed European Super League is very unlikely going to come to fruition dead in the water, but unless there is some serious structural change in how top level soccer in Europe is run and owned by various interests, then it's simply delaying another similarly planned competition/breakaway by the end of this decade.

I'm not sure. I was convinced this one would happen. But as this conglomerate of billionaires and big brands were put firmly in their place by public opinion (not FIFA) now, I'm not really sure what it is they can do to change or soften that feeling, even decades from now.

They may try to increase their numbers and devise a multi-tier European league - with some framework for other European clubs to replace struggling members. But it's maybe hard to believe that such and arrangement would be any more lucrative for the "big 12" than being top dogs in their national leagues.  And it's harder to believe again that national FAs would sanction a promotion/relegation system to the "super league".

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on April 20, 2021, 10:05:58 PM
If this has told us anything, it's that full stadiums aren't where the money it at for big clubs. It's the huge TV deals.  I thought maybe no crowds in stadiums would damage many clubs (and it has), that football in general would get a reality check right across the board.

But obviously the likes of a breakaway league is where the mega megabucks are. So in reality, even if fans boycotted matches, it wouldn't really bring down a breakaway league. Enough people would pay TV subscriptions to make it more than viable.

This isn't entirely true.

Full stadia (especially at premium prices) is a reflection of a competition's elite standing. It's the clearest indication on supply and demand, and  I don't think it's possible to claim the latter without the former.

SHEEDY

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 20, 2021, 10:16:35 PM

that is the attitude of the owners of the'Big 6', we're bigger and better than you. You're the exact sort of supporter these owners love.
nil satis nisi optimum

trueblue1234

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 20, 2021, 10:29:06 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 20, 2021, 10:16:35 PM

that is the attitude of the owners of the'Big 6' owners, we're bigger and better than you. Your the exact sort of supporter these owners love.
You cut me bro. You Cut me deep.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

Fair play to the Liverpool players. I'm actually disappointed Woodward is leaving, should be allowed nowhere near the football side of things obviously but the commercial deals the man has brought have been unbelievable.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 20, 2021, 10:33:31 PM
Fair play to the Liverpool players. I'm actually disappointed Woodward is leaving, should be allowed nowhere near the football side of things obviously but the commercial deals the man has brought have been unbelievable.

Such deals he did are overrated. Manchester United are a global brand and anyone with a clue in business could have arranged similar commercial deals.

GJL

All six out now. They filled the togs after the reaction. What did they expect? A bizarre few days.