Laois v Galway 31/1/16

Started by Maroon Manc, January 27, 2016, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

GalwayBayBoy

FT

Laois 1-10 Galway 3-12

Game virtually over at HT. Galway had an 11 point lead with the wind to come in the 2nd half. On the debit side they lost the 2nd half by 1-9 to 1-6. Probably took the foot off the gas a little even though it's cost them in the past doing that.

seafoid

Considering past results this really is a super win. The only Connacht county to win on top.

GaillimhIarthair

Great to get the win and a decent team performance all round.  Comer and Varley were way too much to handle for any of the Laois backs and the majority of the debutants had their moments.  Laois improved a little in the second half but the game was out of their reach by then.  Based on today, they will do well to avoid relegation - need some of their more experienced guys back ASAP.  Tyrone at home next for our lads and that should give us a better idea of where we are at right now with this very inexperienced team. 

galwayman

Positive start definitely. Plenty of tougher tests ahead now.
Couldn't make Portlaoise today in the end as had club training but I would be concerned about our current fb line. Don't think Kyne is up to it in our problem position & also believe that Kerin in the corner is too small and light for county.he can be exposed by bigger forwards.
I havent seen much of the other corner man Wynne from Moycullen so will be interested to see him in action now.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on January 31, 2016, 08:20:27 PM
Couldn't make Portlaoise today in the end as had club training but I would be concerned about our current fb line. Don't think Kyne is up to it in our problem position & also believe that Kerin in the corner is too small and light for county.he can be exposed by bigger forwards.
I havent seen much of the other corner man Wynne from Moycullen so will be interested to see him in action now.

Presumably they would hope to have Cathal Sweeney back in time for the championship? I know with his injury he's not expected to play much if at all in the league anyway.

mckieran

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 31, 2016, 08:28:46 PM

Presumably they would hope to have Cathal Sweeney back in time for the championship? I know with his injury he's not expected to play much if at all in the league anyway.

Did well last year but I think he might need a good league behind him to have a good year.
Wynne looks good going forward but he was extremely loose in the FBD final. Not so sure corner back is his best position. Where does he play for his club?

I would be feeling very negative about the year ahead if I was a Laois fan this evening as this Galway team are definitely no great shakes.

laoislad

Quote from: mckieran on January 31, 2016, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 31, 2016, 08:28:46 PM

Did well last year but I think he might need a good league behind him to have a good year.
Wynne looks good going forward but he was extremely loose in the FBD final. Not so sure corner back is his best position. Where does he play for his club?

I would be feeling very negative about the year ahead if I was a Laois fan this evening as this Galway team are definitely no great shakes.
There wasn't many of us being positive even before yesterday's game
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maroon Manc

A good start to the league especially considering its a game where many were predicting Galway to get beat, I doubt anyone will be getting carried away. From the team picture it looked like Flynn & O'Currain looked to have filled out whilst Conroy looks a bit trimmer than he has done previously.

Peter Cooke is obviously in KW's plans with him coming on as a sub. A big test lies ahead next week against Tyrone where we'll find out a lot more about this fullback line.

I do remember a few predicting on here last year that Cathal Sweeney would be found out in the championship despite good league performances.