Laois v Galway 31/1/16

Started by Maroon Manc, January 27, 2016, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Galway are starting the same 15 as the FBD final, we've made eight changes from our team. I guess the FBD matters more to the lower down teams.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 09:25:44 PM
Galway are starting the same 15 as the FBD final, we've made eight changes from our team. I guess the FBD matters more to the lower down teams.
Smart arse condescending comment as usual. You just can't resist can you! So full of sh*t it's not even funny.

In actual fact it was always going to be a similar team for the simple fact that the squad is severely depleted with injuries.
Nothing to do with taking the FBD seriously or otherwise.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on January 29, 2016, 11:52:09 PM
Smart arse condescending comment as usual. You just can't resist can you! So full of sh*t it's not even funny.

In actual fact it was always going to be a similar team for the simple fact that the squad is severely depleted with injuries.

::)

Lighten up ladeen. It was a joke.

Our panel is probably more depleted but we still rested most of those who'd be starting this weekend so there was a clear difference in approach by both counties.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2016, 09:21:02 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2016, 08:03:47 PM
Debutant goalie. FB line looks horrific.  HF line poor enough also.  HB line / midfield as good as could be hoped for. Any idea what's on the bench?
Great to see 2 Athenry men lining out

No. Respect to Athenry, but it would be greater to see 2 each from Milltown, Dunmore, Tuam, Mountbellew, Annaghd..(oh, wait, they have 2), Carraroe, Killererin, Salthill, Cortoon etc. Galway has to get back to the stage where it is a mark of honour, a status symbol for a player and a club to have a man or men on the team, it has to be an ultimate achievement for 'caps' to be handed out.

I repeat, absolutely no disrespect to any of the lads selected or their clubs, but our standards have to be higher now to make real progress. The traditional 'heartland' clubs have to stir themselves again to emerge from 'slumber deep'.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on January 30, 2016, 12:47:05 AM
Debutant goalie. FB line looks horrific.  HF line poor enough also.  HB line / midfield as good as could be hoped for. Any idea what's on the bench?

No. Respect to Athenry, but it would be greater to see 2 each from Milltown, Dunmore, Tuam, Mountbellew, Annaghd..(oh, wait, they have 2), Carraroe, Killererin, Salthill, Cortoon etc. Galway has to get back to the stage where it is a mark of honour, a status symbol for a player and a club to have a man or men on the team, it has to be an ultimate achievement for 'caps' to be handed out.

I repeat, absolutely no disrespect to any of the lads selected or their clubs, but our standards have to be higher now to make real progress. The traditional 'heartland' clubs have to stir themselves again to emerge from 'slumber deep'.

I think the Athenry angle is down to economics and migration of football people to the commuting areas. I agree on the caps thing. Galway seems to go through these phases of deep mediocrity (but we can always bate Roscommon( and then every so often the sublime comes along.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2016, 12:06:41 AM
Quote from: galwayman on January 29, 2016, 11:52:09 PM

::)

Lighten up ladeen. It was a joke.

Our panel is probably more depleted but we still rested most of those who'd be starting this weekend so there was a clear difference in approach by both counties.

Galway used over 30 players in the FBD and in addition there must be about 10 players who would be on the panel unavailable for various reasons. KW obviously used the final for preparation for this weeks game and no doubt we'll see plenty of other changes as the weeks go on as others are given a chance and some of the experienced heads return from injury. 

Only 7 of the players who started against Donegal last August start tomorrow.

laoislad

Fcuk off with your Roscommon shite somewhere else, no one cares.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DJGaliv

You are absolutely being disrespectful to those players and clubs. If a player is good enough he should start. Just because he's from the same club as Ray Silke or Derek savage means nothing.

Why would it be better to have two each from North Galway clubs Mr. Brehony? For years if you weren't from North Galway you wouldn't get a sniff. At least bit more of a meritocracy there now.

Have you watched club football in Galway? Not many putting their hands up.

seafoid

This year we'll get more out of the Corofin lads so it could be interesting

mouview

Quote from: DJGaliv on January 30, 2016, 04:26:53 PM

You are absolutely being disrespectful to those players and clubs. If a player is good enough he should start. Just because he's from the same club as Ray Silke or Derek savage means nothing.

Why would it be better to have two each from North Galway clubs Mr. Brehony? For years if you weren't from North Galway you wouldn't get a sniff. At least bit more of a meritocracy there now.

Have you watched club football in Galway? Not many putting their hands up.

As I said, I don't mean any disrespect to them at all. Maybe more my point is that it's a damnation of how far North Galway clubs have fallen from prominence that they are producing very few players good enough to wear the jersey. This is still where the game is strongest and it's very difficult to see how the county can ever win anything without a contingent from this area - they never have in the past.
Similarly, could you imagine Galway winning a hurling final with all players from north of Athenry or west of Galway city?

fearsiuil

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2016, 03:53:31 PM
;D

Mclf

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2016, 03:53:31 PM

;D brilliant post

Zulu

Did I hear Galway are ahead 2-6 to 0-1? Is there a strong wind or have Galway just exploded out of the traps?

GaillimhIarthair

Galway playing well but Laois were shocking in that first half.  Comer and Varley with the goals.  Kingston missed an early penalty.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on January 31, 2016, 02:46:34 PM
Did I hear Galway are ahead 2-6 to 0-1? Is there a strong wind or have Galway just exploded out of the traps?

Galway were actually against the wind in the first half.

Damien Comer with his 2nd goal just now.