Gaa poor communication publication

Started by unoino, February 05, 2015, 05:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: unoino on February 05, 2015, 05:44:36 AM
I recently tried to watch tg4 live coverage on my pc...that didnt work..it was in gaelic and a recording...

If you were watching a recording, then the game was over - maybe write to TG4 and ask them to send you out a time machine (with subtitles enabled)

Rossfan

I suspect that buck/girleeen is a right WUM ;).
On a serious note -does the GAA get any percentage of money bet on matches and can the GAA stop those gambling parasites from using our games to line their pockets even more than they are already?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2015, 10:52:48 AM
I recently tried to watch tg4 live coverage on my pc...that didnt work..it was in gaelic and a recording...

If you were watching a recording, then the game was over - maybe write to TG4 and ask them to send you out a time machine (with subtitles enabled)

The recordings are the best ones to bet on. No excuses for getting it wrong....

Hardy

Quote from: frostbit on February 05, 2015, 10:55:20 AMwe are about the promotion of our cultural past times

Some would say there's a bit too much emphasis on that.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2015, 11:04:34 AM
I suspect that buck/girleeen is a right WUM ;).
On a serious note -does the GAA get any percentage of money bet on matches and can the GAA stop those gambling parasites from using our games to line their pockets even more than they are already?

Does any sport?

Keane

You can get live score updates for most games here:

livegaelic.com/scores

Keane

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2015, 10:52:48 AM

I think he means that when you try to watch TG4 matches online from the UK they replace the live broadcast with some old GAA programme. I happened to be in the UK last weekend and had that issue - had to pay a tenner to GAAGO to get the Kerry match.

twohands!!!

While not really agreeing with his overall point, he does make the excellent point that having so many game on TG4 is less than ideal in terms of growing/maintaining the popularity of Gaelic Games given the fact that for vast swathes of the population TG4 simply doesn't register so having such a high chunk of the games on does very little to grow/develop/maintain the popularity of the sport.

Then you have the coverage RTE give Gaelic games, which seems to be stuck in a time when the overwhelming majority of the population lived in 2 channel land and is a lot more limited than it should be imo.

As regards the constitution of the organisation, I wonder if it's time that the GAA had a discussion on the promotion of the Irish language aspect of things - you'd imagine that there the number of people for whom this is a core value would be fairly small, whereas for most people it falls into the nice token gesture/figleaf category.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 05, 2015, 01:50:09 PM
While not really agreeing with his overall point, he does make the excellent point that having so many game on TG4 is less than ideal in terms of growing/maintaining the popularity of Gaelic Games given the fact that for vast swathes of the population TG4 simply doesn't register so having such a high chunk of the games on does very little to grow/develop/maintain the popularity of the sport.

Then you have the coverage RTE give Gaelic games, which seems to be stuck in a time when the overwhelming majority of the population lived in 2 channel land and is a lot more limited than it should be imo.

As regards the constitution of the organisation, I wonder if it's time that the GAA had a discussion on the promotion of the Irish language aspect of things - you'd imagine that there the number of people for whom this is a core value would be fairly small, whereas for most people it falls into the nice token gesture/figleaf category.

TG4 show the games that RTE won't or can't.
It's not a commercial imperative. It's cultural. And part of who we are FFS.

The whole point of TG4 is suil eile. A different way of looking at things.
If people don't like Irish they can watch RTE LOL.

BTW the GAA should dump the shite singing as Bearla at the end of the AIF and get some proper culture in.   

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 02:00:33 PM

BTW the GAA should dump the shite singing as Bearla at the end of the AIF and get some proper culture in.

TG4 do a good job but I really get the feeling they are in a bit of a ghetto that isnt very welcoming to outsiders.

RTE seem to be more and more intent on becoming the Rugby channel.

The thing is that for the massive overwhelming majority the language of the GAA is actually English - the whole Irish thing seems to be one of those aspirational things that all the politicians say that no-one really believes. Seems to be just tradition and historic reasons it is still there in the GAA constitution and that if it were removed very few would be all that bothered.

AZOffaly

Tradition and history are a huge part of the GAA. I have no issue with TG4 broadcasting the games in Irish, and to be honest I think we owe them a debt of gratitude for the service they provide. If tG4 didn't show it, do you think RTE would pick up the games? Not a chance.

Sometimes things just aren't broken. Leave them be.

rosnarun

i think TG coverage is a little bit of an elephant in the room for the  GAA. the coverage they give is excellent in its own way and
hugely better than no coverage  and  covers a lot of games that would never get on RTE ie Club games colleges  ect .
but  NFL as a national competition should  be available to in the language the Vast majority Speak,
S4C provide a second audio track in english for major events . would that we feasable for tG4?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 05, 2015, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 02:00:33 PM

TG4 do a good job but I really get the feeling they are in a bit of a ghetto that isnt very welcoming to outsiders.

RTE seem to be more and more intent on becoming the Rugby channel.

The thing is that for the massive overwhelming majority the language of the GAA is actually English - the whole Irish thing seems to be one of those aspirational things that all the politicians say that no-one really believes. Seems to be just tradition and historic reasons it is still there in the GAA constitution and that if it were removed very few would be all that bothered.
Can you come back to discuss that point in August ?

unoino

Some interesting viewpoints but...dont worry Im not trying to detract from Irish history nor am i advocating to rid the emerald Isle of gaelic language/culture but what an awful lot of people on here fail to realise is that the gaa WILL have to change just as day turns to night.Unfortunately society changes and we all have to accept it...just take a trip to Dublin and count the number of immigrants living in Ireland and begging on streets..unfortunately its called change  its not the Ireland that I want to see ...but its here...going back to the gaa Im trying to look for better communication ..we can send a text from here to the other side of the world in a second but to get scores relayed quickly and precisely to the uk seems to be ...well not great...and yes to the persons who repeatedly write ...i had betvictor pay me out on a losing bet when Wicklow actually lost..is typical of how great the communications are...and why do bookmakers in many instances not bet on gaa...exactly the service is poor....but to all the hardliners who want to live in the past..."that place where we all love and remember" ...sometimes we have no choice but to move on ...im not saying get rid of gaa but the whole concept of communcating to a wider audience will benefit Ireland "no end" and yes huge conglomerates need to be involved.Irelands a world leader in IT and theres a huge audience that want to watch these games....so lets start by putting all games in English with a button so that the 3% of the population who speak gaelic  daily can understand...I think the gaa will always be encased in Irish history and culture ..and thats fantastic...i agree with helping communities and schools etc ...but the bigger picture has to also be discussed ...id like to ask if everygame was on sky both football and hurling ..would the hardliners who dont like change still watch...or as there advocating turn off in there droves?

imtommygunn

A) have you heard of paragraphs

B) the results of lower league games in most counties are available pretty much instantaneously never mind the big games. (On the internet). The bookie just didn't know where to look. It's their fault.

Sky had very low uptake on our games.

Tg4 is an irish language station. If rte, our local broadcaster, don't see winter games as lucrative enough then why would a "conglomerate" want to broadcast it internationally?