USFC Final - Donegal v Monaghan - Sunday 20th July - St. Tiernachs Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 07, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Let's get this started.. Obviously there'll be no surprises this year for Donegal. I know they've improved since last year but I think so have we. I can see this one going to the wire and reckon we can shade it by the minimum of margins...

Come out fighting as the man says...  ;)

babarino

Instead of a groundhog day with Tyrone it'll be déja vu all over again against Donegal. The Qualifier draw is a balls. When it should be about keeping counties interested, we seem to have the same pairings year after year. Whether it's a fix or not, it needs to be fixed. It's rough on Armagh to only have a 6 day turnaround.

As you say GMF, what Monaghan bring won't be a surprise in the final this year. Overheard a few Armagh folk saying they thought Monaghan might be good enough to beat Donegal, which is probably what the whole country thinks. We know we're good enough to beat them, while respecting that they're capable of brilliance.

I'd love if we had Eoin Lennon fit for this one though. K Hughes was wisely called ashore to hopefully have him fully fit for the final. Oriel abú.

Schkite

Yeah big couple of weeks for Kieran, hopefully he recovers as much as he can, because he's been a handful for the Donegal defence in both finals we've played them in the last year. I'd also hope Lennon will be fit to play a part but you never know, I didn't think he'd be out for this long. What I will say though is Dick has had a very good Ulster campaign in his absense, I didn't think he'd be fit for full games at this stage any more but delighted to be proven wrong.

Great to see Mansy getting back to his best, with each week and game you can see him getting fitter and hopefully that trend continues with the Ulster final. Clearly lessons were learned from the drawn Armagh game, and the personnel and positional changes involving the likes of Jap, Jinxy and McKenna all worked well. Some might say we didn't need another game before the Ulster final, and one week's less rest. But maybe it wasn't a bad thing to iron out these problems in this game, rather than say going into a final after a poor display last week if Armagh hadn't got that late free. Some players have their scoring boots back on after last week, and again it's more match practice for McManus getting back to full fitness.

Main Street

A reacquaintance with our most generous of friends in Ulster. However, I don't think they will be bearing any gifts this year. Unlike us, Donegal have a memory of an All Ireland victory and will be very focussed on getting back what was painfully lost, so meekly last year.
I haven't a clue what standard Donegal are at. Last year they had eased past Tyrone and  Down at a bit of a squeeze. This year they haven't had to reach that standard yet but have shown that they still have that extra bit of pace to inject into a game and blitz the opposition with a few episodes of stunning play.

2 weeks is too short for Lennon I fear,  considering he hasn't made the subs bench yet.
What I wouldn't give for a similar scenario of a Tommy Freeman cameo though. :)

anfheardubh

Its going to be a tough shout but Donegal have better footballers in my opinion and if Lacey plays Donegal WINS

Simple

Like Monaghan but feel they are still 4/5 players short of an All Ireland winning team and Donegal will be delighted to get a shot at them again this year

Donegal by 4 points Micheal Murphy to score the crucial goal 8) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) ;D ;D
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Maguire01

I'm sure the build-up will be all about how Donegal will be gunning to avenge last year's defeat. I was expecting some kind of reaction in Croke Park at the league final a few months ago. It didn't happen. If anything, Monaghan were even more convincing.

So far Donegal have beaten Derry, who were subsequently beaten (at home) by Longford (a team heading for division 4). Longford were then hammered by by Tipperary (a team just leaving division 4). It's difficult therefore to judge how much of a challenge Derry was. We know that Antrim was a walk in the park, once Donegal moved out of second gear.

Monaghan have had the tougher route to the final, and they're there without being very impressive. You could say the same for our path to last year's final.

I don't see anything to suggest Donegal are much better than last year - although there are a couple of handy young forwards emerging.

I think Monaghan can win this. I wouldn't be sticking the mortgage payment on it, but if someone handed me a free bet, I know where i'd be putting it.

Winning back to back titles for the first time would be something special.

rodney trotter

Donegal had only returned from a weeks training in Portugal before the League final. That not why they had been flat?. more focused on peaking for the Derry game at the time.

They probaly have a stronger panel this year with the addition of Darrach O Connor and Odran Mac Niallais.

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 07, 2014, 11:10:21 PM
Donegal had only returned from a weeks training in Portugal before the League final. That not why they had been flat?. more focused on peaking for the Derry game at the time.

They probaly have a stronger panel this year with the addition of Darrach O Connor and Odran Mac Niallais.
The league final? Who knows. But would have expected them to be a bit more up for it, given the opposition.

Yep - acknowledge the two new forwards, looked good against Antrim (even if you obviously have to take the quality of opposition into account). Although they're missing McHugh (albeit he had an early exit in last year's final).

J70

Donegal will need McFadden, and assuming he plays, McBrearty, to start knocking over a few scores, if we are to win. I just fear that Monaghan are to this team what Armagh were to our team a decade ago - just a side we match up badly with and cannot quite beat. I hope they prove the doubters wrong and match Monaghan in the physical stakes and defend much better than we have in those two finals.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2014, 06:01:26 AM
Donegal will need McFadden, and assuming he plays, McBrearty, to start knocking over a few scores, if we are to win. I just fear that Monaghan are to this team what Armagh were to our team a decade ago - just a side we match up badly with and cannot quite beat. I hope they prove the doubters wrong and match Monaghan in the physical stakes and defend much better than we have in those two finals.

McBrearty seems to be off form alright this year for some reason?

Kavanagh always seems to see red when up against Monaghan which is strange as he doesn't seem that kind of player normally.

I think McLoone is the man who will need most watching; he is turning defense into attack with great effect. Corey will be given the task of trying to keep him on a tight leash no doubt.

What's the story with Neil Gallagher, will he play? We could really do with Eoin Lennon in the middle but that looks unlikely as he hasn't made the bench this year in championship. Gavin Doogan made an appearance in the last few minutes of the semi-final replay but he lacks game time obviously.

timmyot501

Donegal have played in bursts this year and each time they have managed to put up enough scores during that burst to see out the game. 
Monaghans defense was superb against Tyrone but got a fright in the Armagh drawn match.  Much improved in the replay. Of course we rely heavily on McManus for scores but when you have a player that good you have to get him the ball.  Should be an interesting final but probably not a scorefest.

Sleater

Tactically, how will Monaghan set themselves up? O'Rourke is flexible with his tactics - he set up with 7 out and out defenders against Tyrone and the drawn Armagh game (Kieran Duffy or Fintan Kelly as sweeper). Yet for the Armagh replay, he abandoned that in favour of a 4 man half forward line with Kieran Duffy dropped. Jim McGuiness has two good looks at Monaghan and will have seen that flexibility and will tailor an approach to counter either approach from Monaghan. I feel McGuiness will go with psyhical power to dominate the middle, with strong runners on the ball to run at the Monaghan defence.

Monaghan fans are well used to O'Rourke making 2 to 3 changes per game and making tactical changes in style too. Last year Monaghan played with 3 breaking ball  scavengers at half forward, (all 5ft 9") in last years USFC final. That was pivotal to the win. Yet I can't see O'Rourke repeating that tactic for this final.  I could see Gavin Doogan come into the team as a third midfielder with the aim of picking up one of the Donegal midfielders, leaving Darren Hughes as a spare man to drive at Donegal. It's the sort of left field selection we've seen O'Rourke make time and time again. Kieran Hughes' inury is worrying and Lennon is a big miss (as this is the type of game tailor made for him). Word on the ground is it will be August before Lennon is back.

It's very difficult to call. Donegal have huge motivation to win this and have got to dissect Monaghan's play over the last two weeks. Monaghan have a weeks less prep and that is a disadvantage. I can't say who could win, though I hope Monaghan will shade it. I wouldn't be able to say until the teams take the field and I see Monaghan's real line out (not the dummy line out sent to the media)

drici

Training for the two McGees and Odhrán Mac Niallais has been upset in the run up to the match.

Gaoth Dobhair priest forbids yoga

A LOCAL priest has caused a stir after calling on parishioners to refrain from taking part in yoga, tai chi or reiki.

Fr Pádraig Ó Baoill, PP Gaoth Dobhair, made his comments in the weekend issue of the parish newsletter. The following is the extract: "As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion. Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or reiki. "Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptable things,"

Fr Ó Baoill, who is in Lourdes, told a reporter he would comment further on his return. AQ spokesman for the Bishop of Raphoe, Dr Philip Boyce, is at a conference and was unable to comment in his absence. Fr Ó Baoill's comments reflect widely published church teachings relating to yoga, tai chi and reiki.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/07/gaoth-dobhair-forbids-yoga/#sthash.9szBmmC7.dpuf

macdanger2

Quote from: drici on July 08, 2014, 12:15:44 PM
Training for the two McGees and Odhrán Mac Niallais has been upset in the run up to the match.

Gaoth Dobhair priest forbids yoga

A LOCAL priest has caused a stir after calling on parishioners to refrain from taking part in yoga, tai chi or reiki.

Fr Pádraig Ó Baoill, PP Gaoth Dobhair, made his comments in the weekend issue of the parish newsletter. The following is the extract: "As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion. Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or reiki. "Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptable things,"

Fr Ó Baoill, who is in Lourdes, told a reporter he would comment further on his return. AQ spokesman for the Bishop of Raphoe, Dr Philip Boyce, is at a conference and was unable to comment in his absence. Fr Ó Baoill's comments reflect widely published church teachings relating to yoga, tai chi and reiki.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/07/gaoth-dobhair-forbids-yoga/#sthash.9szBmmC7.dpuf

No mention of voodoo, Jimmy & the lads will be grand

Bingo

Quote from: Sleater on July 08, 2014, 09:38:42 AM
Tactically, how will Monaghan set themselves up? O'Rourke is flexible with his tactics - he set up with 7 out and out defenders against Tyrone and the drawn Armagh game (Kieran Duffy or Fintan Kelly as sweeper). Yet for the Armagh replay, he abandoned that in favour of a 4 man half forward line with Kieran Duffy dropped. Jim McGuiness has two good looks at Monaghan and will have seen that flexibility and will tailor an approach to counter either approach from Monaghan. I feel McGuiness will go with psychical power to dominate the middle, with strong runners on the ball to run at the Monaghan defence.

Monaghan fans are well used to O'Rourke making 2 to 3 changes per game and making tactical changes in style too. Last year Monaghan played with 3 breaking ball  scavengers at half forward, (all 5ft 9") in last years USFC final. That was pivotal to the win. Yet I can't see O'Rourke repeating that tactic for this final.  I could see Gavin Doogan come into the team as a third midfielder with the aim of picking up one of the Donegal midfielders, leaving Darren Hughes as a spare man to drive at Donegal. It's the sort of left field selection we've seen O'Rourke make time and time again. Kieran Hughes' inury is worrying and Lennon is a big miss (as this is the type of game tailor made for him). Word on the ground is it will be August before Lennon is back.

It's very difficult to call. Donegal have huge motivation to win this and have got to dissect Monaghan's play over the last two weeks. Monaghan have a weeks less prep and that is a disadvantage. I can't say who could win, though I hope Monaghan will shade it. I wouldn't be able to say until the teams take the field and I see Monaghan's real line out (not the dummy line out sent to the media)

I'd not like to be trying to second guess Monaghan or rather O'Rourke. Even during games he will change things.

Donegal should be fairly predictable in that you know what you will get with them, its a matter of patience and discipline when facing them. Would be a surprise if Donegal set up any different from their last few run outs.

Midfield will be a key area for Monaghan. I think in their games they have lost the midfield in the last quarter of the game and they normally concede scores in the games as a result. This has been result of their limited options here and they needed Hughes and Clerkin to play the full games with Lennon (who has no chance) and Doogan (only just back) not available. Will need Doogan to play at least 20mins and have the option of Kieran Hughes coming out for a shift as well. Vital he is fit and ready for a full game.

Beegans kicking on his own kick outs will be key for Monaghan if Donegal surrender a man to play sweeper.