The most baffling refereeing decission ever?

Started by upmonaghansayswe, July 28, 2011, 12:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: zoyler on July 28, 2011, 10:22:59 PM
Many years ago in a 4th div game in South Armagh my brother rounded the keeper and his tap over the line was kicked away by their umpire! When he roared ' For fxxx sake REf!' he was sent off for foul language.  Suspension was confirmed by the County Board and ever after he just played soccer!

Proper order too :D  I wonder how much was riding on the result?

Bingo

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 28, 2011, 10:52:11 PM

Apologises. 14 yard free.
I didn't forget. Had nothing to do with the point I was making. And Id hardly call it evening it up. First penalty finished the game effectively. Second penalty was too near the end to build on. Mind you, the best team won.
[/quote]

I knew the point you were making alright and I've no idea on the rule he applied but a few have said he was right and others have said he was wrong. So i'm still none the wiser.

The game was in the mix alright when the peno was given alright despite Blayney have alot of the ball, it wasn't a night for forwards mind.

cornafean

Quote from: Rav67 on July 28, 2011, 07:40:03 PM
A man who has been reffing for 2 years (although I think he only does underage) turned round recently while watching a club game and asked how many minutes it was each half.

If I'm sitting beside a loud or obnoxious hoor at a big game in Croke Park, I like to meekly ask him that question  8)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

PAULD123

Many years ago in a 4th div game in South Armagh my brother rounded the keeper and his tap over the line was kicked away by their umpire! When he roared ' For fxxx sake REf!' he was sent off for foul language.  Suspension was confirmed by the County Board and ever after he just played soccer!

That's just mad. Did the score stand? Because technically the player should have been booked for swearing but the goal should have stood anyway because a certain goal was likely to occur. The rule is that if the ball touches a non-player then the ball is thrown in at that point unless it was prevented from going over an end line, in that case the ball is treated as if having gone over the end line and the referee makes the appropriate award (i.e. a goal)

mylestheslasher

This one happened in a soccer match I was involved in but it is quite funny. Normally the games were played on a Sunday but the team we were playing requested to play the game on good friday (the game had been fixed for easter sunday). Our club agreed once it was set for 6pm ko due to having players at work. This game was on the same good friday as the a big Leinster Munster rugby game a few yrs ago. Obviously the ref had more interest in the rugby as he came into the dressing room at 5-30 and told us that he was starting the game at 5-45! I asked by what authority he could do that and he said he was the ref and he could do whatever he liked and he could start the game when he liked too. And he started the game when we were still waiting on a couple of players to show.

fitzroyalty

In a recent game the ref (wrongly) sent the no13 off.

After about 2/3 mins of whinging and complaining from his management he said "Sorry, my mistake", let the no13 back on to play and called over the opposition no13 and (wrongly) sent him off!

Surely that isn't allowed?

SBH1983

if someone could clear this one up that'd be lovely...

14 yard free awarded, free kick sails 5ft over the posts for a point, referee disallows it for a square ball.

is it correct to award a square ball in this case even if another player from the attacking team did encroach?

just seen it today and a bit surprised by it that's all

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SBH1983 on March 03, 2013, 11:39:23 PM
14 yard free awarded, free kick sails 5ft over the posts for a point, referee disallows it for a square ball.

is it correct to award a square ball in this case even if another player from the attacking team did encroach?

Yes.

Regarding the recent rule change: The rule is unchanged with regard to "Set Play" i.e. Free Kicks, Line Balls and 45s – in these instances players are not permitted to enter the small rectangle before the ball.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 03, 2013, 11:44:27 PM

Yes.

Regarding the recent rule change: The rule is unchanged with regard to "Set Play" i.e. Free Kicks, Line Balls and 45s – in these instances players are not permitted to enter the small rectangle before the ball.

Never knew that!
MWWSI 2017

Ard-Rí

I was playing B-League today, our goalkeeper had a tooth knocked out by a high tackle as he caught a 45. He kicked the ball out to the side and stood off the pitch and 4 or 5 lads called the referee's attention to it. But lo and behold, he waved play on and the other team took advantage by playing the ball in and working a goal. When questioned about this decision he claimed that it was "all in fair play". Same referee made numerous questionable decisions throughout the whole game, but that one took the biscuit.

I saw a match at U-16's level last year, where the referee gave a free and one of the defenders questioned him. He moved the ball forward shouting "now look what you've done to your team!!".
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

SBH1983

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 03, 2013, 11:44:27 PM

Yes.

cheers for that. seems strange if the ball clears the crossbar by a considerable distance

Dougal Maguire

Macrory semi final. St Macartans were 6 points to nil down after 15 minutes when the ref blew up their keeper for time wasting over a kick out and threw the ball up instead
Careful now

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SBH1983 on March 04, 2013, 12:03:28 AM
cheers for that. seems strange if the ball clears the crossbar by a considerable distance

No prob, and indeed, the ref sounds like a right stickler (to put it mildly  :))!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ranch

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2011, 08:43:22 AM

Proper order too :D  I wonder how much was riding on the result?

Does it matter how much was riding on it?lol.. Enough to make any player want to quit!

David McKeown

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 04, 2013, 12:30:02 AM
Quote from: SBH1983 on March 04, 2013, 12:03:28 AM

No prob, and indeed, the ref sounds like a right stickler (to put it mildly  :))!

Not that much of a stickler otherwise he would have allowed the score I would have thought in accordance with playing rule 4.10 (ii)

ii) When a point is scored from outside the small rectangle and the ball is sufficiently high to be out of reach of all players, the score shall be allowed even though an attacking player may have been within the small rectangle before the ball - provided that the player in question does not interfere with the defence.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner