Down Sen Footballers 2007

Started by imagine, November 14, 2006, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superblues

think they have a match tonight against meath and also have a game on sunday so will probably get an idea of his best team for next sunday then

amallon

Any idea of venues and times of these games?  I assume both games are against Meath as someone suggested earlier.  They would hardly be closed doors would they?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

superblues

think the game tonight is navan and sunday in newcastle

goldenyears

Benny refreshed and ready to go 
Gaelic Games 
By Brendan Crossan 

BENNY Coulter insists that Ross Carr's decision to rest the majority of his Down squad in the McKenna Cup will improve their Championship prospects this summer.

The Mayobridge ace was one of a number of Mourne players who were relieved of McKenna Cup duties this month, as new manager Carr gave lesser-known players a chance to stake a claim.

Coulter feels rejuvenated after enjoying a two-month break away from football and he added that the rested players will be "definitely" fresher for Championship football.

"I'm glad I've got a break from the McKenna Cup," said Coulter.

"I played in the McKenna Cup since coming into the seniors, but when you step back and look at things, at Championship time we seemed to fail. We'd be doing well in the National League and not do well enough in Championship, so we decided a break mightn't do us any harm."

He added: "I haven't played any football since we lost to Ballinderry (in November). In fact, I wouldn't say I played much that day either. I've had a good two months break without touching a football.

"That's the first time since '99 I've ever had that length of break of doing absolutely nothing because Mayobridge have been playing in Ulster regularly and then it just continued on with Down."

Coulter, who had an indifferent 2006 campaign when Down crashed out of the Championship to modest Sligo, declared that he too will have to "step up a gear" this season.

"I'm happy enough with my fitness, I've been training with the squad since the fourth of January. I'm really looking forward to this particular National League campaign. I can't wait. I definitely think I'll feel fresher for the break."

With the likes of Coulter, Michael Walsh, Ronan Sexton, Brendan Grant, Alan Molloy and Dan Gordon enjoying extended breaks, their absences have given Carr a chance to look at other players in the county.

"Ross named a 35-man McKenna Cup panel and there was a lot of chat around the county that players weren't getting chances and I think Ross decided to take a look at all these players and he's done that," said Coulter.

"It's up to him now whether they're fit to play county football, but at least he's given everyone a chance. It's now up to the boys coming back in to earn a place on the team, including myself."

In their absence, the likes of Kevin Gracey (Downpatrick) and Jackie Lynch (Drumgath) have caught the eye during Down's McKenna Cup games, while former Cliftonville soccer player Peter Telford (Downpatrick) is a viable option at midfield for Carr.

Drumgath goalkeeper Bernard Connell has impressed this month and could offer Michael McVeigh some competition during the National League campaign.

Down are in Division 1B this year and are grouped with the likes of Galway, Armagh and Derry. The Mournemen's first three League fixtures are against the division's lesser lights Louth, Kildare and Westmeath.

Coulter added: "There are a lot of good teams in Division One. Our first game is against Louth, a team that has improved unbelievably... And then you've got Galway, Armagh, Derry and Kildare. It's a tough group, but we're looking forward to it and hopefully we can stay in Division One."

Meanwhile, Coulter's club colleague Michael Walsh will be back in action despite working in England.

The centre half-forward is currently training with rugby side London Irish and hopes to see some League action with the Mournemen this term. Down have again drawn Cavan in the Ulster Championship (May 13).

amallon

Benny scored 1-5 from mid field.  Hope he carries this form through for the season.

TORGAEL

any idea of whom the starting 15 were ?

No1

Any word of a panel for Sunday yet?

amallon

The panel is being cut on Tuesday night from 40 to 32.

Down were beat by 4 points yesterday I think (no score board).  Meath got the only goal of the game after Connell dropped a high  ball and gifted Meath the goal.  Down only used 3 players from the Friday night game.  Danny Hughes was Downs star man but could have been a little less greedy.  Ollie Murphy was a pleasure to watch yesterday, still a class act.  Almost unmarkable