Down Sen Footballers 2007

Started by imagine, November 14, 2006, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

cloneman

Have the trials finished yet?  Does anyone know when our new squad start their prep for 2007?

Brick Tamlin

preliminary panel picked as far as i know, meetin thurs nite in burrendale.

TORGAEL

Any news as to who is on this preliminary panel ?

wobbller

0-9 each in terrible conditions

Mourne Rover

The county board should explain why today's game was taken away from Newcastle, which has a stand, to Downpatrick, which has no covered accommodation, on the first Sunday in January when it was bound to rain. The match started in a downpour and it got steadily worse during the afternoon. The conditions were barely playable by the closing stages, so it was probably unfair to judge anyone. However, apart from a sound diisplay from our keeper, there was little to get excited about. Jackie Lynch lacked confidence at midfield, but deserves another look, while Brendan Loughran has a bit of pace but is probably too light for county football. Stephen Kearney apparently ended up in hospital, and we could easily have picked up other injuries. The decision to keep the established players out of the McKenna Cup squad was definitely the right one, and at this stage it is difficult to see too many new faces joining them for the league campaign.

TORGAEL

ive been told that jackie lynch played today despite suffering from flu.perhaps this had an effect on his performance

Dubh driocht

Think the Rover got it right. Also, seven quid was bit steep to wade in muck with NO protection. Fair play to Ross, DJ and the players.One point in the bag , UUJ are poor and we clinch the semi-final place by bringing on Liam Doyle in Ballybofey to exorcise the demons and score the winning 45.

No1

As this is the Down Senior Football thread I will post here, the other thread is titled club hurling and football.

Stephen Toner was quite good and I thought McGourty was the stand out Down player.  Brendy Loughran doesn't like to pass! 

I assume that all the boys who didn't start this week will start next? 

It would have been good to see big Magic thrown in for the second half and some direct ball played in to see how he got on.

Anyone know where the game is next week?

amallon

I would have liked to seen Magic play again as well but I he was taken off in the All Stars game at the start of the 2nd half.  He could possiblly have picked up an injury.  I didn't see him with the Down subs at half time yesterday.

Its hard to take anything from yesterdays game as the conditions were terrible. 

Were there any programs yesterday?  I didn't have one so there were only 3 Down players I could put a name to.  Who was the man that put over the long range frees near the end? 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thewobbler

The huge one from the right was Fintan McGreevey. The earlier one was Kevin Gracey.

McGourty kooks atheltic and he saw a lot of ball, but he used it well very rarely. But then again, who would want to play centre-forward on a day like that? It really is impossible to pass judgement on anything that happened yesterday.

downredblack

I don't remember Big Ambrose landing a 45 last year in the league / Championship , Who will this duty fall to this year ? A. Carr ? F. McGreevey ?

Dubh driocht

Doyler is the obvious man for the 45s if he hasn't got repetitive starin injury. It was a good score from mc Greevy mind you.

Mourne Rover

To the best of my knowledge, Ambrose took and missed every 45 we were awarded in both the league and the championship - except the very last one in the closing stage of the Sligo disaster. When we were already a well beaten team, Aidan Carr was given his chance and put it straight over the black spot. The 45s were unfortunately another indictment of Paddy's approach. He decided that Ambrose was our long distance free taker and stuck with him even when it was obvious that his confidence had (hopefully temporarily) gone. One of the 45s which was missed from a fairly central position against Donegal would have given us a draw which we would not have deserved. The message for Ross, who knew a thing or two about freess, is that you have to have options. His son is a decent place kicker, but we need at least two others in our squad.

Fear Boirche

The one thing that gives me cause for optimism about Ross over POR is that he likely to change things it they aren't working. Equally, I don't think he would have a problem dropping or picking his own son based on form alone. IMO, I think Aidan Carr should be given a chance for his dead ball skills, that's one thing we've be crying out since, well, Ross retired!