St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

Our first team got a slightly lucky draw on Saturday away in Enniscrone but we were seriously depleted. The west Sligo lads missed 3 or 4 goal chances and had they taken one of them it would have secured victory for them. Our second team had an interesting and high scoring outing against Eastern Harps, eventually getting well beaten as age (and fitness) began to tell in the second half! I was the youngest of 8 over 30's on the team!

Elsewhere Easkey beating Tourlestrane was noteworthy, or as noteworthy as anything can be this time of year.

Teeling Gael

Glad to see that fixtures are now out two weeks before matches which is a great aid to organising ones life around GAA matches. Hope it continues.

Had a look at the newly revamped sligogaa.ie site and to be honest whilst its an improvement and has the fixture list and results up to date , there is vast parts of it way out of date or not completed (a complete turn off for a website ) and to my eyes it isn't the most user friendly.

On to the actual football. Slightly offended Seanie that you didn't classify our result as noteworthy!!! Apart from beating Ballisodare , it was our first competitive win against another clubs first team since August 99 !!! Coolaney have obviously injuries but as most of them are relatively long term I cant see them winning promotion in the league. As we may be going to Coolera on Saturday week looking for a result in possibbly a dead fixture for the home team , it may be for selfish reasons that OMS and myself will leap to the defence of Cooleras finest on the Sligeach vrs An Mhi thread !!!

The results that stood out for me were Easkeys win over Tourlestrane , the comprehensiveness of Harps win in Pick n Choose. Shamrock Gaels easy win over Drumcliff and Enniscrones draw with Coolera in Kiernan cup. St Mholaises Gaels seemed to signal their intent in Benson cup scoring 16 points againsy Michaels. 

magpie seanie

Teeling - I expect your lads to kick on from last year so you should take it as a compliment that I didn't raise my eyebrows too much at your win!

neilthemac

good luck to the St Farnan's boys and all the templeboy and aughris crew!

Owenmoresider

Results from the weekend, given that the county site appears to be down or something like that:

Doesn't include the 2B results, all two of them, Mary's beat Easkey 0-14 to 2-0 (IIRC) and Ballisodare beat Farnan's 3-5 to 0-13. That league possibly won't go the distance.

Owenmoresider

Added results for the weekend's fixtures, what results there are. Seems a good few games didn't go ahead. Pity ours did! :o

magpie seanie

Not that its of any note but we actually only got beaten by a point (we scored 0-12 but the ref forgot to write one of our points down). All in all it was a brutal display - not being able to defeat a team who had only 13 men for the last quarter. Ridiculous. Means our Sunday outing next weekend is probably of no importance as I cannot see Harps slipping up to C/M.

Teeling Gael

We gave Harps a 10 point start at half time before we got remotely into the game. The "14 man first team Rule" gives them a very strong spine and as ever they will be very competitive in 2A. Like Seanie I feel  its unlikely that C/M will beat them on Saturday but surely pride most be hurting in Achonry and they may surprise them.Surely the 2 group matches should have been on at the one time ?? A Harps win makes our match meaningless on Sunday and theres nothing worse than playing a meaningless match on a wet pitch at the start of the year

magpie seanie

League Round 1 down for decision this weekend. All games down for Saturday to enable the hordes that will no doubt  ;) travel to Wexford on Sunday. The way the weather is going it will suit the webbed footed player!

Our first team are home against Shamrock Gaels without our county players of course. Wouldn't be so bad if we were playing Tubber. Second team will be expected to be the sacrificial lamb on the altar of Geevagh's pitch opening celebrations. A tough assignement, especially with lads being held over for later in the day to make up for the absences of the county men and others.

magpie seanie

All league games off due to Sligo's minors playing on Saturday, U-21's the following week and the seniors playing Sunday. We would have been down 6 or 7 players (co senior and minor) on top of a good few injuries which would have meant a serious hammering or not fielding for our seconds followed by a probable defeat for our first team.

Stagmeister

Well Seanie

Are all league games 100% officially off then?? Just want to be sure so I dont waste my time driving home this evening. Thats a pain in the hole if they are off, I know they have to be called off if both the county minors and seniors are playing this wkend but surely the county board could have given the clubs more notice. Have they not known for a while now that both the minors and Seniors were playing this weekend?? I know a couple of lads who gave up tickets for the soccer international tomorrow because we had a game arranged...they're gonna be raging now!! I dont think the county board realize the sacrifices ordinary club players have to make i.e. travelling, cancelling plans, staying off the beer etc. to play at home, if they dont show them more respect more and more club players just wont bother with it anymore, thats the way I feel anyway.... : ???

all star

all games called off players told at training last night. we had 13 players out 6 with county under 21,s and then injuries and us up against curry

Teeling Gael

For what its worth, I share the view that this is a crazy decision.

1.  No adult match should ever be called off to faciliate an underage fixture. If a club is relying on minors to play then they shouldnt be in the competition
2.  Senior match is a red herring as obviously these players were never going to be playing this weekend or indeed many weekends in the next 2 months.
3. The U21 match was scheduled months ago. Either the U21 management attention to detail isn't up to it or else they weren't asked their view prior to the club fixtures being announced. Dont know which is worse. As ever all this does is heap the pressure on the 21's in a winnable match next weekend and Sligo teams and pressure dont mix very well. What if they win ?? Presumably if one follows the logic through , there wont be any adult match in Sligo until they are beaten.

Few if any countys win All Irelands with their players coming from a poor club scene and all this decision does is disenfranchises the club player as Stagmeister so articulately put it. A poor club scene makes is harder to unearth potential county players and even worse makes current county players with their extra fitness and sharpness stand out and leaves them sitting in the comfortzone.

Owenmoresider

The weekend's results from R1 of the league:

Tourlestrane 0-7 Curry 0-7
Eastern Harps 2-12 Bunninadden 1-8
Ballymote 1-11 St. Mary's 0-5
Easkey 0-10 Castleconnor 2-13

St. John's 0-9 Drumcliffe/Rosses Point 3-7
St. Farnan's 0-5 Tubbercurry 2-9
Enniscrone 1-8 Calry/St. Joseph's 1-14
Coolera/Strandhill v Shamrock Gaels

St. Michael's 0-6 St. Molaise Gaels 2-9
Geevagh 0-17 Coolera/Strandhill 0-3