Value For Money Language Funding

Started by Pangurban, June 08, 2007, 03:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Just wondering if the Gaelgeori on this forum believe that the awarding of grants to so called Gaeltacht areas where an Irish speaker can hardly be found, provides value for money or contributes anything towards creating an interest in the Language. Also where the value in sending hundreds of children to gaeltacht areas every summer, enriching land-ladies who themselves have no more than the cupla focal,and little interest in using even that. Surely whatever monies are available could be better targeted,and used to promote local iniatives and econimies. Why continue to support bogus Gaeltachts.

5 Sams

Pangur,
I assume you dont speak Irish hence your opening a new thread for this subject instead of putting it on An Snath Gaeilge. So I'll reply to you as Bearla

I visit a Gaeltacht area at least 2 or 3 times a year...Corcha Dhuibhne in the summer, Tír Chonaill around the New Year and a couple of visits to Conamara for work.

Every time I go I make an effort to speak Irish to the locals usually with more success in Gaoth Dobhair it has to be said as my own brand of Irish was learnt mostly in Rannafast. On every single occasion I have tried to engage a local in conversation they have, to a man and a woman, been delighted to respond. There have been occasions when I have had blank stares but that was when I tried the Dia Duit routine on a Pole or Lithuanian.

Now I know that this is only one person's experience but I would strongly disagree with your assertion that these are "so called Gaeltacht areas where an Irish speaker can hardly be found"

...or maybe I have just been so lucky that every person I have met in the Gaeltacht was one of the few who had more than the "cupla focal" as you say.
The Aristocrat Years

Pangurban

Ta Gaelic agam ach nil me liofa,ta bron oram ag ra. I put my case in english to widen the debate and include those with an interest in Irish and how it is promoted, even if they have not had an opportunity to learn it themselves. I have attended the Donegal Gaeltachts on many occasions and like you outside of the classroom situation, found that i had to attempt to initiate conversation with locals As Gaelgie, they seeming to prefer to use English. I would prefer to see funds targeted more positively and directly,towards language classes in local areas, incentive to businesses who conduct part or all of their activities as gaelige. Social clubs where people can meet and have the opportunity to use and develop whatever Irish they have. Outreach schemes beyond the narrow confines of enthusiasts, to encourage interest and promote a positive image with no political or sectarian baggage. Most importantly create an environment where people like yourself feel comfortable about using it and take every opportunity to do so in your normal discourse

Pangurban

Quote               There are places like this in non Gaeltacht areas. You obviously haven't researched them. In Gaeltacht areas, there has been a lot of talk about this but there were too many people against them (mainly women from the area). There are however pubs throughout Gaeltacht areas where there is nothing but Gaeilge spoken.
True, i am aware of them, but they are much too few and far between, and some of them have severe financial constraints. I am less  clearabout the position of grants to businesses,but they do not appear to very widespread. It was not my intention to critisize any initative,i wanted to start a debate,and hear the views of other interested parties like yourself. As regard the Gaeltachts, my question would be, how in the present day do we define a gaeltacht. The trend is to designate a geographical area, and once defined that area retains its gaeltacht status and associated benefitsand grants, regardless of the reality of life within that area. All of the gaeltachts which have existed since the foundation of the state,are now so diluted by people moving in who have neither knowledge or interest in Irish,yet still qualify for grants,on the basis of a geographical absurdity. Only recently we witnessed the spectacle of the people in Dingle voting to retain the name Dingle rejecting An Daingean. I may be wrong,but when i see people working hard and enthusiastically promoting innovative projects outside of te gaeltachts,i cant help thinking they are more deserving of support. I would be interested to hear your view on this

armaghniac

There is no doubt that the boundaries of Gaeltacht areas are in need of review, especially on boundaries of Galway where you have BMW dealers on the edge of the city in the Gaeltacht and eligible for grants etc. But rapidly changing social conditions on the edge of Irish cities is a fact of 21st Ireland. Dingle was always mostly English speaking, but it serves as a market centre of a large Gaeltacht area, had that vote included people around the town it would have had a different result. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B