Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

JoG2

The anti crew were down on Benone beach protesting yesterday by all accounts. Ireland's Freedom something or other. Protesting against lockdowns, masks, vaccines, civil liberty, Bill Gates, some reset or other etc. Among the keynote speakers were Anne McCloskey and that gym owner from Newry. Christ on a stick

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Another unqualified Tory Brexiteer who gets all his information from YouTube videos speaks:

Professor Luke O'Neill*

Pausing use of AstraZeneca vaccine like throwing away an extinguisher while fire rages

We won't get out of this mess by the autumn if we pause our vaccination programme again like we did last week

It has been a challenging week in the world of Covid-19 vaccines. As with most things in life, there are bumps in the road. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine hit a big bump last Sunday. This bump led to the car stopping. The Irish Government paused the use of this highly-efficacious and safe vaccine; 30,000 people who were due to be vaccinated were told: "Sorry, not this week."

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/pausing-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-like-throwing-away-an-extinguisher-while-fire-rages-40220993.html

To put this 30k vaccinations into context, yesterday (i.e. one day) the UK passed a new record for vaccinations, with 873,784 jabs given. At one stage, they were actually administering 20 jabs a second, in England alone. Which means that before today, 27.6m people in the UK i.e. more than half the adult population, have received at least one dose.

As for the claim on this forum yesterday that Oxford University and AZ are carrying out some sort of anti-EU/Brexiteer conspiracy (fcuk me, I'm still laughing at that one), everything is pointing to the exact opposite.

Namely that already angered by the UK leaving, the EU is being increasingly embarrassed by the UK's vaccination success showing up their own failure, so they're lashing out at anything and everything British to try and discredit us.

(When I typed that last bit, do not infer that I am claiming that the EU is being uniquely venal with this sort of carry on. Rather it seems to me that it is just the sort of thing that ALL politicians are capable of doing when under pressure. However, it is particularly egregious in this case, since we are talking here a matter of life and death. Literally.)

* - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_A._J._O'Neill

Would I be right in saying that the above makes Prof. O'Neill the Republic's leading immunologist?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on March 21, 2021, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2021, 11:48:39 AM
You said we accept deaths every year, when will these deaths (Covid) become acceptable.

You're all over the shop, all I've stated is the EMA have said the vaccine is safe

We accept deaths.

And the Norwegian Medical Experts clearly disagree with the EMA.

You're the one having to rail back on your own "experts" line. What's your issue with the Medical Experts in Norway? Are they anti-vax or conspiracy theorists?

Two organisations Ema, WHO have both said it's safe, they are creditable. More creditable than your ramblings.

What's Norway's medical experts doing? I suppose they are being extra careful. But globally it's a lot safer than the millions of deaths which have happened so far, though to you, those deaths are acceptable
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 21, 2021, 06:00:38 PM
As for the claim on this forum yesterday that Oxford University and AZ are carrying out some sort of anti-EU/Brexiteer conspiracy (fcuk me, I'm still laughing at that one), everything is pointing to the exact opposite.

OK, then, since you obviously have great insight then you tell us why the Oxford vaccine is not available in the EU to those who need it. And please don't come back with stories of it not being deployed, I am asking why it is not being supplied.

QuoteNamely that already angered by the UK leaving, the EU is being increasingly embarrassed by the UK's vaccination success showing up their own failure, so they're lashing out at anything and everything British to try and discredit us.

So did those pesky EU people kill those people in Norway just to discredit the vaccine?

Would I be right in saying that the above makes Prof. O'Neill the Republic's leading immunologist?

He is certainly the one that talks the most. The point is when the fire alarm goes off you investigate and then go back to your desk. There was an alarm, it was investigated, normal service has resumed. A delay of one week in getting a vaccine may have some adverse effects, but modest ones. There is so little AZ vaccine that they can easily catch up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

charlieTully

Quote from: sid waddell on March 21, 2021, 12:18:29 AM
Quote from: Seamus on March 21, 2021, 12:03:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 10:23:41 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 20, 2021, 09:47:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 20, 2021, 08:37:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 07:45:36 PM
Sure the European countries won't take it now anyways... the damage is done, seems there's lots of Angelos in Europe

Some of us have a free mind and question things and don't openly swallow whatever the Tories tell us to do.

Maybe someday you will evolve.

Tories?

Yes.

You take your direction on the AZ vaccine from Tories.

I prefer to get it from respected groups like EMA, other experts and scientists who have more knowledge than the likes of you?

Here is what Kary Mullis, inventor of the RT-PCR test, had to say about Fauci, the "expert" of the "experts". Mullis died August 2019, his invention would not be the gold standard test for diagnosing "COVID 19" if he were alive today.

https://twitter.com/LegendaryEnergy/status/1369720747313098753
I'd defo say Fauci had him murdered

Probably got the raa to do it.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2021, 06:26:25 PM

OK, then, since you obviously have great insight then you tell us why the Oxford vaccine is not available in the EU to those who need it. And please don't come back with stories of it not being deployed, I am asking why it is not being supplied.

QuoteNamely that already angered by the UK leaving, the EU is being increasingly embarrassed by the UK's vaccination success showing up their own failure, so they're lashing out at anything and everything British to try and discredit us.

So did those pesky EU people kill those people in Norway just to discredit the vaccine?

He is certainly the one that talks the most. The point is when the fire alarm goes off you investigate and then go back to your desk. There was an alarm, it was investigated, normal service has resumed. A delay of one week in getting a vaccine may have some adverse effects, but modest ones. There is so little AZ vaccine that they can easily catch up.
Today's  Sunday Times:
UVDL's attempt to pin the blame on supply difficulties appeared at odds with complaints last week by Stella Kyriakides, the EU Health Commissioner, that member states were sitting on "reservoirs of vaccines" that they had yet to inject. These are thought to be as many as 14million doses.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on March 21, 2021, 06:58:54 PM
Today's  Sunday Times:
UVDL's attempt to pin the blame on supply difficulties appeared at odds with complaints last week by Stella Kyriakides, the EU Health Commissioner, that member states were sitting on "reservoirs of vaccines" that they had yet to inject. These are thought to be as many as 14million doses.

I was referring to the ROI, the EU has all sort of different situations in different places and I am not familiar with these.
The ROI has no great stockpile of vaccines, they generally inject them within a week or so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

It has been supplied, literally millions of doses, half of which remain unused.

The point being that with more recent supplies being delayed, the EU is desperately trying to deflect blame from their own failings, so are lashing out at AZ/UK for a hiccup in sending out the latest batch. A batch which they weren't willing or able to administer even if they did receive it.  ???

Meanwhile, as for why AZ haven't sent the latest batch to the EU, here is what the aforementioned Prof. O'Neill had to say on the matter:
Prof O'Neill said it was a "c**k-up" from Astrazeneca that led to one of their two European plants in the Netherlands not receiving authorisation to produce the vaccine for Europe. He said "the word is" that the shelves are lined with vaccines in this plant and once Astrazeneca provides all the requisite documentation to the EU, it should "clear the logjam".
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/ridiculous-and-stupid-for-excess-vaccines-in-northern-ireland-to-not-be-given-to-the-republic-says-professor-luke-oneill-40191837.html

So no "Conspiracy", just simple C**k-Up - as is often the case.

Namely that already angered by the UK leaving, the EU is being increasingly embarrassed by the UK's vaccination success showing up their own failure, so they're lashing out at anything and everything British to try and discredit us.
It has not been established that the vaccine "killed those people", even by the Norwegians themselves.

And Correlation is not the same as Causation.

Nor is Coincidence, for that matter.

He is certainly the one that talks the most.
He talks the most because he's got the most to say.

And from his position, experience and expertise, most people are happy to listen to what he has to say.

But on the basis that you seem to think you know better than him, and his findings are inconvenient for you, it must be disappointing that you can't discredit him for his knowledge or his motives and have to make do with sneering at the high profile he's achieved. You know, as the country's leading immunologist during a pandemic.

Which is beyond pathetic.

The point is when the fire alarm goes off you investigate and then go back to your desk. There was an alarm, it was investigated, normal service has resumed. A delay of one week in getting a vaccine may have some adverse effects, but modest ones. There is so little AZ vaccine that they can easily catch up.
"Modest effects"?  How many people died from Covid in ROI last week? And how many of them might have been saved had they had access to vaccinations?

Rather more than the 3 people currently being investigated in Norway, I'd hazard.

As for "so little" AZ vaccine, it has been reliably reported that the EU had millions of unused doses when the temporary ban was imposed.

And in any case, time spent administering AZ vaccine is time which cannot be spent administering Pfizer vaccine, the point being that most EU countries, incl ROI, cannot manage to administer all the vaccines, of all types, which they already have.

But I suppose that's all the fault of the Brits., too.  ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2021, 06:02:28 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 21, 2021, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2021, 11:48:39 AM
You said we accept deaths every year, when will these deaths (Covid) become acceptable.

You're all over the shop, all I've stated is the EMA have said the vaccine is safe

We accept deaths.

And the Norwegian Medical Experts clearly disagree with the EMA.

You're the one having to rail back on your own "experts" line. What's your issue with the Medical Experts in Norway? Are they anti-vax or conspiracy theorists?

Two organisations Ema, WHO have both said it's safe, they are creditable. More creditable than your ramblings.

What's Norway's medical experts doing? I suppose they are being extra careful. But globally it's a lot safer than the millions of deaths which have happened so far, though to you, those deaths are acceptable

Extra careful.

They have concluded that the two deaths could only be possibly down to the vaccine. Two deaths from a population subset with a minimal chance of serious illness form Covid.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Millions of deaths you are happy with as being 'acceptable' and two possible deaths related to the vaccine, now you are coming across thick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

How predictable that the nutcase who was complaining about scaremongering all winter is now scaremongering himself

That's hypocrisy for ya  ;D

Evil Genius

Quote from: sid waddell on March 21, 2021, 08:09:09 PM
How predictable that the nutcase who was complaining about scaremongering all winter is now scaremongering himself

That's hypocrisy for ya  ;D
He shoots!

He scores!

Back of the net!  :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Lar Naparka

Another unqualified Tory Brexiteer who gets all his information from YouTube videos speaks:

Professor Luke O'Neill*

Pausing use of AstraZeneca vaccine like throwing away an extinguisher while fire rages

We won't get out of this mess by the autumn if we pause our vaccination programme again like we did last week

It has been a challenging week in the world of Covid-19 vaccines. As with most things in life, there are bumps in the road. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine hit a big bump last Sunday. This bump led to the car stopping. The Irish Government paused the use of this highly-efficacious and safe vaccine; 30,000 people who were due to be vaccinated were told: "Sorry, not this week."

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/pausing-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-like-throwing-away-an-extinguisher-while-fire-rages-40220993.html

To put this 30k vaccinations into context, yesterday (i.e. one day) the UK passed a new record for vaccinations, with 873,784 jabs given. At one stage, they were actually administering 20 jabs a second, in England alone. Which means that before today, 27.6m people in the UK i.e. more than half the adult population, have received at least one dose.

(When I typed that last bit, do not infer that I am claiming that the EU is being uniquely venal with this sort of carry on. Rather it seems to me that it is just the sort of thing that ALL politicians are capable of doing when under pressure. However, it is particularly egregious in this case, since we are talking here a matter of life and death. Literally.)

* - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_A._J._O'Neill

Don't quite understand what point you are making here, EG.
I see nothing wrong with O'Neill's assertion that;
"Pausing use of AstraZeneca vaccine like throwing away an extinguisher while fire rages

We won't get out of this mess by the autumn if we pause our vaccination programme again like we did last week"
Where's your issue with the above?
Yet, you appear to side with the generally accepted view that the decision to halt the use of this vaccine was based on venal (political) motives. That's the majority view in this country at least and O'Neill clearly agrees with the majority.
And, yes, he is widely regarded as Ireland's leading immunologist, judging by his frequent appearances on a variety of TV programs on a number of TV channels and his contributions to a large number of newspapers. (I haven't been keeping a count so, obviously, I am underestimating) but without doubt, his opinions are in widely accepted.
(I cannot recall any occasion any other immunologist has been interviewed or quoted in any news outlet -- or local community newsletter for that matter.)
So, once again, what's your problem with O'Neill?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi