Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 02:19:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 02:05:16 PM

I don't know anyone that is in favour of lockdowns, no one I've ever spoken to has said, great I love these lockdowns, some craic...

The problem is we have a community of people that can't follow instructions, we've an inept government that can't govern, we've the shittish NHS service for the whole of the uk. The entitlement of the anti vaccine crowd would sicken your hole. The fact that a worldwide pandemic has created more division than unity is staggering..

This insignificant country can't come together and put a plan in that could be like NZ, after seeing how well they have coped with the problem tells you everything you need to know about this place.

Personally, lockdowns ruin my business, even for an essential business/service that I'm in. If there was another solution I'd jump at it, The only solution I'm getting from some here is, lock up the vulnerable and elderly and let everyone under the age of 60 carry on, as its not the demographic that is being affected..

Is that what Angelo wants?

The whole of Europe cannot follow instructions seemingly. If you don't know anyone in favour of lockdowns then you are more stupid than I initially thought, there are plenty of posters here demanding lockdowns and ignoring all the huge societal consequences that come with them. People simply will not open their eyes to the bigger picture, it's covid, covid, covid, covid, covid. It's the only show in town for them.

Ok, then ask, how many people on this board are happy for the lockdowns? don't be shy

I'm not in favour of them, I'd much prefer an easier solution like NZ did
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 02:21:57 PM

I don't know anyone that is in favour of lockdowns, no one I've ever spoken to has said, great I love these lockdowns, some craic...

The problem is we have a community of people that can't follow instructions, we've an inept government that can't govern, we've the shittish NHS service for the whole of the uk. The entitlement of the anti vaccine crowd would sicken your hole. The fact that a worldwide pandemic has created more division than unity is staggering..

This insignificant country can't come together and put a plan in that could be like NZ, after seeing how well they have coped with the problem tells you everything you need to know about this place.

Personally, lockdowns ruin my business, even for an essential business/service that I'm in. If there was another solution I'd jump at it, The only solution I'm getting from some here is, lock up the vulnerable and elderly and let everyone under the age of 60 carry on, as its not the demographic that is being affected..

The whole of Europe cannot follow instructions seemingly. If you don't know anyone in favour of lockdowns then you are more stupid than I initially thought, there are plenty of posters here demanding lockdowns and ignoring all the huge societal consequences that come with them. People simply will not open their eyes to the bigger picture, it's covid, covid, covid, covid, covid. It's the only show in town for them.

Ok, then ask, how many people on this board are happy for the lockdowns? don't be shy

Why are you phrasing it as happy?

Why don't you ask how many people support them? That's the kind of weasel you are, rather than admit you're wrong you will try and spin and manipulate the matters.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 02:27:18 PM

Why don't you ask how many people support them? That's the kind of weasel you are, rather than admit you're wrong you will try and spin and manipulate the matters.

Seriously? You've not admitted to being wrong once on this board! Spin? f**k you're having a laugh

So like I said (and calling me a weasel you lose your argument with the personal stuff ;)) who's in favour of lockdowns? Is that better wording? I'm not in favour of them, if we could find a better solution I will take it. Just waiting on someone with a bitta brains to give me a solution to all of this, though I much prefer to hear about the winter of 17/18
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 02:34:31 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 02:27:18 PM

Seriously? You've not admitted to being wrong once on this board! Spin? f**k you're having a laugh

So like I said (and calling me a weasel you lose your argument with the personal stuff ;)) who's in favour of lockdowns? Is that better wording? I'm not in favour of them, if we could find a better solution I will take it. Just waiting on someone with a bitta brains to give me a solution to all of this, though I much prefer to hear about the winter of 17/18

Nice to see you joking about a bad flu season which had 50k excess deaths now.

Milltown Row2

tbrick18

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 02:15:54 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 06, 2021, 02:11:54 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 01:49:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 01:47:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how many people died of the flu, in the winter of 17/18? I've been trying to find these figures for a while now, no luck..

In the UK there were 50k excess deaths during the winter flu season. What this is attributable to is not confirmed. All we know is that everyone found that type of excess death rate perfectly acceptable and every winter we find excess death rates perfectly acceptable.

Except this winter that is.

I'm really struggling here to see the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that because "everyone found that type of excess death rate perfectly acceptable" (which I don't believe at all) that we should find similar or higher death rates acceptable now?

No-one wants to be in lock down. But what is the realistic alternative? Let things go on as they were? Allow hospitals to be overrun with patients to the point where new patients cannot be admitted or staff collapse on their feet? With an R rate of 1.8, the number of cases will grow very quickly and likewise the small percentage requiring hospital treatment will grow (did I see 1% somewhere?). 1% of our populate is over 18K hospital admissions which would not normally happen over the lifecycle of this covid pandemic.

In my opinion, we need the short term emergency lockdown to protect the health system from collapsing whilst the medium/long term answer is the Vaccine (provided it is used in the way it has been designed to be used). And whilst lock down will adversely affect the economy and mental health of some, surely a big picture approach has to be taken where the highest risk conditions (currently Covid) are prioritised?

The single biggest failing is that there is too much dithering in deciding to impose the restrictions

If you have a better idea Angelo, I'd love to hear it.

I'm talking about facts here.

If you didn't find it acceptable in Jan 18, shows a few posts where you wanted something done about it?

It's the complete and utter contradictions of people like you who will put out a rationale on one hand and then go against it when you are shown something else.

Why don't we lockdown every winter to save deaths when we know flus are a huge problem? Can you answer me that? Should we have been locking down in Nov/Dec 17?

What facts are you talking about?
Why do you think i'd have posted on here in Jan 18 about not finding something acceptable? Does the fact that I didn't post on here mean I didn't think it?
What contradictions have I made? Please point them out?

Like I said in the previous post when highlighting the risks to the health service, if you have a better idea than lockdown at this particular point in time I'd like to hear it. Genuinely I would. I personally don't see a better choice right now, so please do share some of your wisdom based on facts!
If you dont have a better idea to protect the health service at this point in time, then what are you talking about?

Franko

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 06, 2021, 03:09:49 PM
Can anyone tell me how many people died of the flu, in the winter of 17/18? I've been trying to find these figures for a while now, no luck..

In the UK there were 50k excess deaths during the winter flu season. What this is attributable to is not confirmed. All we know is that everyone found that type of excess death rate perfectly acceptable and every winter we find excess death rates perfectly acceptable.

I'm really struggling here to see the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that because "everyone found that type of excess death rate perfectly acceptable" (which I don't believe at all) that we should find similar or higher death rates acceptable now?

No-one wants to be in lock down. But what is the realistic alternative? Let things go on as they were? Allow hospitals to be overrun with patients to the point where new patients cannot be admitted or staff collapse on their feet? With an R rate of 1.8, the number of cases will grow very quickly and likewise the small percentage requiring hospital treatment will grow (did I see 1% somewhere?). 1% of our populate is over 18K hospital admissions which would not normally happen over the lifecycle of this covid pandemic.

In my opinion, we need the short term emergency lockdown to protect the health system from collapsing whilst the medium/long term answer is the Vaccine (provided it is used in the way it has been designed to be used). And whilst lock down will adversely affect the economy and mental health of some, surely a big picture approach has to be taken where the highest risk conditions (currently Covid) are prioritised?

The single biggest failing is that there is too much dithering in deciding to impose the restrictions

If you didn't find it acceptable in Jan 18, shows a few posts where you wanted something done about it?

It's the complete and utter contradictions of people like you who will put out a rationale on one hand and then go against it when you are shown something else.

Why don't we lockdown every winter to save deaths when we know flus are a huge problem? Can you answer me that? Should we have been locking down in Nov/Dec 17?

Why do you think i'd have posted on here in Jan 18 about not finding something acceptable? Does the fact that I didn't post on here mean I didn't think it?

Like I said in the previous post when highlighting the risks to the health service, if you have a better idea than lockdown at this particular point in time I'd like to hear it. Genuinely I would. I personally don't see a better choice right now, so please do share some of your wisdom based on facts!
If you dont have a better idea to protect the health service at this point in time, then what are you talking about?

If that's the route we are going down, I'd ask Angelo where he had posted his concerns about mental health, domestic abuse or suicides?

He's clearly very concerned about these issues at the minute, so I'd assume he's posted about it elsewhere before this pandemic?

JoG2

Taylor / Milltown (Millhouse these days  ;D).. A good % of GP practices have been administering Pfizer vaccines this week to the over 80s. All, or the vast majority will have and be administering Oxford vaccines to the over 80s from Monday. No idea of projected completion date for this demographic, but it should be way before Aug.

Angelo

The death rates during the winter flu season in 17/18.

A better idea would be not to continue with a strategy that has failed to curb Covid twice before and has detrimental consequences to society.

But hey you want to pretend that lockdowns have no negative consequences and have an agenda to dismiss taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture and all the carnage lockdowns cause.

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on January 06, 2021, 04:27:22 PM

If that's the route we are going down, I'd ask Angelo where he had posted his concerns about mental health, domestic abuse or suicides?

He's clearly very concerned about these issues at the minute, so I'd assume he's posted about it elsewhere before this pandemic?

The issues were exasperated by lockdowns.

I'm concerned about the overall picture. I'm concerned that lockdowns do much more damage overall than they do good. I'm worried the failed cure is a lot worse than the initial problem.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 04:44:47 PM

A better idea would be not to continue with a strategy that has failed to curb Covid twice before and has detrimental consequences to society.

But hey you want to pretend that lockdowns have no negative consequences and have an agenda to dismiss taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture and all the carnage lockdowns cause.

Were you not complaining about people making strawman arguements? No one has said there's not down sides to lockdowns. It's just outweighted by the benefits. And again they have not failed twice. Us trying to manage under restrictions has failed 3 times hence the reason for lock downs.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tbrick18

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 04:44:47 PM

Ok, so instead of telling us what your strategy is, your position is simply not the current strategy as it's failing?
I have never said there are no negative consequences of lockdown. What I clearly said was that the highest priority right now, today, is Covid and the pressure it's putting on the health service.

So I'll ask you again, what measures would you take today to reduce the pressure on the health service given that the single biggest issue affecting them at the moment is the number of patients being admitted with Covid?

If you don't have a strategy then please explain what you are talking about?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 04:46:36 PM

I'm concerned about the overall picture. I'm concerned that lockdowns do much more damage overall than they do good. I'm worried the failed cure is a lot worse than the initial problem.

Did you get any figures for that? I had a look but couldn't see any. In fact I just found the below

"In the first half of 2020, 102 suicide deaths were recorded in Northern Ireland and Nisra estimates that the overall suicide figure for this year will be somewhere between 200 and 220 - roughly in line with the provisional figures for 2019"

I can't see any data for an increase in the rate as a result of Covid.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2021, 04:46:36 PM

So you haven't.

So using Angelo logic you clearly have tunnel vision around these issues and therefore you obviously don't give a fcuk about sending thousands of elderly people to an early grave.

See how easy this sorta grifting is?

dublin7

The Central Statistics Office only publish an annual figure for the number of deaths by suicide in Ireland as they wait for coroner's court to confirm a case of a death by suicide as the official cause, which can take up to 6 months. The 2019 figure released in May 2020 was recorded as 421.

In September the Samaritans when asked about possible increase in suicides due to lockdown said they did not believe so based on the demand for their services.